CPAP extension cord. How long

Geldhart

I'm going to be in an inside cabin with a CPAP machine. How long of an extension cord should I bring in case the ship is unable to provide one?

I keep a 12 foot cord in my CPAP case at all times. It's better to have a cord which is too long rather than too short.

I also bring a 9 ft cord. On the Star Princess to Alaska, a crew member came and checked my CPAP machine before attaching an extension cord he had provided. (plug behind the TV). Great service!! I had asked for distilled water ahead of time.

DH was new to his when we took our Feb. cruise. Princess supplied the extension cord and distilled water. He was happy with the result.

The reason I'm bringing my own falls under the old rule of "I'd rather have it and not need it...."

I've already been informed they'll have the distilled water for me, but may or may not be able to supply a cord.

On the Regal there was a European 220V plug under the bed. We had an US to European adapter, so we could plug the CPAP in to that outlet without an extension cord. It worked great and it avoided tripping over any cords.

I know some of the other ships have these outlets as well, but I am not sure which ones definitely do.

I've taken a 9' cord on my last three cruises (which was when I began using the CPAP). Given that my CPAP also has 9' of cord, it has always been more than sufficient. Of course, we've never been in anything larger than a standard balcony room--if you're in the Royal Suite your butler can undoubtedly find something for you once you arrive. I do unplug it every morning and roll it up; that gives the steward the room he or she needs to do the job without tripping over it.

As for water, I usually use the ship's tap water. It's purified by Reverse Osmosis (though I believe they add certain elements back in--RO water does not taste very good). I do let it run a bit, but I've never had any problem--and I've never had any deposits in my humidifier reservoir afterwards. Industrial RO membranes are extremely good at removing pathogens.

In fact, we make about 40-50 gallons of RO/DI water a week at home to use with our reef tank. It is one of the medical standards for CPAP in some countries, and it's free since I have it in the house already.

You can fill out a form or contact the special needs division of Princess and they will provide a extension cord and a gallon of distilled water for no charge. I bought a 16 foot c pap tube that i take with me on our cruises and even if you bring a extension cord or they one they provide you with isn't long enough a 16 foot air tube will do the job. Then you can place the c pap on the table where the mirror is and just stretch the cord out. Also, for anyone who hasn't traveled by air with a c pap machine, make sure you include it in your carry on luggage because there's a good chance it won't arrive when you get to your location if you check it in your baggage. Somehow it will go missing or be damaged.

When you go through TSA security at the airport tell them in advance you have a c pap in your carry on baggage or else you'll be guaranteed a complete baggage check and have to take everything out including your c pap and they will check it for explosives and then you have to repack it all.

I talked to a TSA inspector a year ago and he said chances are pretty good that if you tell them before your bag goes through the x ray machine they won't make you take the c pap out including everything else. Not a total guarantee but you'll increase your chances of not going though unpacking and repacking. If you're in a hurry to make a flight tell them first.

I've taken a 9' cord on my last three cruises (which was when I began using the CPAP). Given that my CPAP also has 9' of cord, it has always been more than sufficient. Of course, we've never been in anything larger than a standard balcony room--if you're in the Royal Suite your butler can undoubtedly find something for you once you arrive. I do unplug it every morning and roll it up; that gives the steward the room he or she needs to do the job without tripping over it.

As for water, I usually use the ship's tap water. It's purified by Reverse Osmosis (though I believe they add certain elements back in--RO water does not taste very good). I do let it run a bit, but I've never had any problem--and I've never had any deposits in my humidifier reservoir afterwards. Industrial RO membranes are extremely good at removing pathogens.

In fact, we make about 40-50 gallons of RO/DI water a week at home to use with our reef tank. It is one of the medical standards for CPAP in some countries, and it's free since I have it in the house already.