Whittier, AK via Princess

cr8tiv1

I am not sure where I should have started this thread, but here seems to be just as appropriate as any where else. I am sure the moderators will readjust, if necessary.

If any one has taken a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Whittier, AK, they would have had time to walk around this quaint town. I found this link that describes life in Whittier and thought others would be interested.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/07/us/whittier-alaska-american-story/

When I was there a season ago, I was so surprised to meet someone from Maui. We chatted for a while and I found out more about this remote town. The town's people are really friendly.

As I understand, only Princess brings ships into this town during the summer.

Displaced Local Girl

Yes, Whittier. For years the only way to get to whittier was by train. Then, about 15 years ago they modified the tunnel to allow cars and trucks to go through.

Whittier was built in WWII as a depot and receiving port for army supplies. After the war, it became the receiving port for the Alaska railroad. Now, it is a cruise ship port, a marina for private vessels, and base for various glacier tours and fishing charters.

You can probably walk around the whole town in on hour. There is not much there. The main housing is contained in one "high rise" apartment building.

Before the tunnel was opened to cars, the people who lived there year round were known as "Whittidiots"....

Some facts about Whittier...

I see the ship gets to Whittier at 1:30 AM. Does anyone know what time we have to get off the shop for transport to Anchorage. Can we sleep in a little?

OK..they get you off the ship at 2 am.....NOT.

Actually, you will disembark in the morning, like usual.

However, as for shopping for transport to Anchorage....waiting until you get off the ship is not a good idea. It is a good 90 miles to Anchorage and you will not be able to grab a cab or a super shuttle out there.

There are really only two ways to go (unless you have friends who really like you). One is a princess transfer-either by rail or bus. The other is to book a ride on the train. Either way, I strongly suggest you book one or the other in ADVANCE of the cruise.

We've been to Whittier several times. We enjoy walking from the ship to the "town". There are several souvenir store's, including one with a reindeer (which may or may not be on site). Across the way is the "high rise" where most people live.

The most important place here is a Chinese restaurant which is very quickly filled by every worker on the ship who is off for lunch and dinner!

I see the ship gets to Whittier at 1:30 AM. Does anyone know what time we have to get off the shop for transport to Anchorage. Can we sleep in a little?

I suspect you will be off the ship by 8 AM if not earlier.

We took a private bus from Whittier to Anchorage. It stops at a wild life nature center for 90 minutes.

And walking around the town of Whittier was nice. Especially if you need coffee in the morning as the holding area has none and is also short on chairs for everyone. It was great to sit outside and have fresh air.

OK..they get you off the ship at 2 am.....NOT.

Actually, you will disembark in the morning, like usual.

However, as for shopping for transport to Anchorage....waiting until you get off the ship is not a good idea. It is a good 90 miles to Anchorage and you will not be able to grab a cab or a super shuttle out there.

There are really only two ways to go (unless you have friends who really like you). One is a princess transfer-either by rail or bus. The other is to book a ride on the train. Either way, I strongly suggest you book one or the other in ADVANCE of the cruise.

90 miles would be round trip:), it's about 45.

BTW they had a fatal accident on the hi way yesterday that had the road closed for about 10 hours, a tour bus was involved. It happened at the entrance to the wildlife park. The train would have been the best choice by far in that case.

Edited by bigchid