Alaska cruise tour payment

go sea

A question for all yous that have been on a tour cruise in Alaska. If you tour first, then cruise, how do you pay of the tour part ? Is it pay as you go or is it transfered to the cruise account?

I think the OP is asking about things such as optional excursions. We did not take any on our cruise tour (other than the upgrade from the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, and we paid for that upfront).

Yes, we were surprised to see that we had to pay for our meals on the land tour part (first time cruisers!). Our (mistaken) belief was that as it was part of our cruise package that it would be part of our price that we paid to our agent. At least we know now (before we depart!)

Meals are EXPENSIVE in Alaska. The Subway across from the Denali lodge was $8 for a sub last time we were there. McKinley Lodge dinner was $130 for two prime rib dinners. Some land tours have a guide and meals but most include only lodging, transportation and transfers.

This is one of the reasons we booked the connoisseur cruise tour. Most meals are included and you can order what you like. It's definitely a more expensive way to go though!

My dad's TA keeps telling him "everything is included". He is 85 and has never cruised before. My husband and I booked our cruisetour over a year ago. My dad decided he wanted to go to, and booked the same cruise, but I think a different tour. He is legally blind from macular degeneration, and has other health problems. He is bringing the bimbo I mean the girlfriend with him.

Anyway, it looks like I need to drive down to NJ and pay a visit to the TA with him and get the whole poop for him. He really can't afford this trip and keeps moaning and groaning about how broke he is. And the girlfriend is broker than he is. I need to do some proactive planning here.

Anything booked in advance will be charged ahead of time. I you book something at the lodge you will just pay for it when booking. As for food costs, it depends on how you eat. If you are content with a sandwich for dinner then it isn't that much more than anywhere else. Maybe 20 to 30 percent. The biggest ripoff I found was breakfast which usually cost us as much as lunch or dinner.