Insignia RTW

fred 15

Just got off Insignia in Montreal; first leg of RTW. Not the usual O crowd. Lots of affected people. After 2 weeks the food was boring, enrichment almost does not exist.

Edited by fred 15

Just got off Insignia in Montreal; first leg of RTW. Not the usual O crowd. Lots of affected people. After 2 weeks the food was boring, enrichment almost does not exist.

affected by what???

I believe that "affected" can also imply or mean pretentious, or feigning some kind of superiority.

The following definitions from dictionary.com:

1. assumed artificially; unnatural; feigned:

affected sophistication; an affected British accent.

2. assuming or pretending to possess that which is not natural:

Her affected wealth and social pedigree are so obviously false that it's embarrassing.

If this is what the OP meant, I am not surprised, just based on what I see around here. But usually I find O passengers mostly relaxed and down to earth, fun to know. I have learned to avoid the "affected" ones.

Donna

Wasn't the OP originally scheduled to go to Barcelona? Maybe he just got off to tour, and will be getting back on? If so, I hope he has a better time on the following legs. I note that in previous posts, he placed a lot of importance on enrichment lectures. He was informed at the time they can be hit or miss on Oceania.

Wasn't the OP originally scheduled to go to Barcelona? Maybe he just got off to tour, and will be getting back on? If so, I hope he has a better time on the following legs. I note that in previous posts, he placed a lot of importance on enrichment lectures. He was informed at the time they can be hit or miss on Oceania.

Hit or miss means there is enrichment but, they can be good or bad. The OP clearly stated that the enrichment was almost non-existent meaning almost no enrichment which is even worse than hit or miss.

Not sure what the usual "O crowd" means. We sail mostly on Regent and cannot imagine Oceania guests feeling more entitled than Regent guests (and there are so few of them that feel that way).

I do understand the food being boring. My DH and I find the same thing on both Oceania and Regent and then chastise ourselves for being so picky. After all, if you ate at the same restaurants at home for consecutive days, would you not be bored?

Lastly, was your cruise port intensive or were there multiple sea days. It has been our experience that the enrichment programs are pretty much non-existent on itineraries that are port intensive.

More importantly, how was the service and the food (even if it was boring)?

Edited by Travelcat2

Hit or miss means there is enrichment but, they can be good or bad. The OP clearly stated that the enrichment was almost non-existent meaning almost no enrichment which is even worse than hit or miss.

Not so clearly to me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect he was overstating the situation, much like another recent poster who claimed there was not entertainment on Oceania.

In well over 150 nights on Oceania ships, I've never experienced a few days without a lecturer of some sort, let alone two weeks. There could be the exception that proves the rule, but I would be very surprised.

I too was on the Miami-Montreal leg and had a very different experience from that of the OP. I didn’t meet anyone who was “affected.” As Lyn said, “just nice regular people.” Roughly 500 guests disembarked in Montreal, and many of those were Floridians. Several families with children also disembarked in Montreal; the children were adorable and for the most part very well behaved. Eighty-eight cruisers are continuing on for the full 180 days, including a lively, well-traveled 100-year-old gentleman traveling solo.

We had three sea days in the 16-day itinerary. There were at least two enrichment lecturers who did several presentations each: Terry Bishop, whose subjects included the Lusitania and the dramatic history of the city of Halifax; and David Wolff, who gave presentations on photography. Pat Grillo in the Artist Loft was a great addition too, with a scheduled activity every day; we surprised ourselves with talent we never knew we had. Executive Chef Mario Santoro and his staff presented two engaging cooking demos. I certainly felt enriched.

Breakfast offers many new choices, and the Taste of the World in the GDR for lunch is a gift of cuisine variety. If one chooses wisely from the menu in the various venues, the food is never boring and it’s way too good.

Just my viewpoint.

-Sukey-

Thanks Sukey for your viewpoint

That is not many for the RTW cruise :eek:

I suspect some of the other comments on enrichment & food were just not of interest to the OP

I sometimes will go to the lectures but sometimes they are just not a topic I am interested in

Hard to please everyone

Hope you will report in as you go along

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Lyn,

We were among those who disembarked in Montreal. I'm on the AWC next January-July, but I just had to have a "taste" of the World Odyssey. Wish I could have stayed on the Insignia for the whole enchilada to Greenland, Iceland and all the other interesting ports on that itinerary!

I am never bored on the ship. We make our own entertainments and enrichments.

-Sukey-

I too was on the Miami-Montreal leg and had a very different experience from that of the OP. I didn’t meet anyone who was “affected.” As Lyn said, “just nice regular people.” Roughly 500 guests disembarked in Montreal, and many of those were Floridians. Several families with children also disembarked in Montreal; the children were adorable and for the most part very well behaved. Eighty-eight cruisers are continuing on for the full 180 days, including a lively, well-traveled 100-year-old gentleman traveling solo.

We had three sea days in the 16-day itinerary. There were at least two enrichment lecturers who did several presentations each: Terry Bishop, whose subjects included the Lusitania and the dramatic history of the city of Halifax; and David Wolff, who gave presentations on photography. Pat Grillo in the Artist Loft was a great addition too, with a scheduled activity every day; we surprised ourselves with talent we never knew we had. Executive Chef Mario Santoro and his staff presented two engaging cooking demos. I certainly felt enriched.

Breakfast offers many new choices, and the Taste of the World in the GDR for lunch is a gift of cuisine variety. If one chooses wisely from the menu in the various venues, the food is never boring and it’s way too good.

Just my viewpoint.

-Sukey-

Thanks Sukey for the positive reinforcement. Can't wait to meet you for our 180-day adventure in January. Let's all try to get together at the Epic on January 3rd.

Lyn,

We were among those who disembarked in Montreal. I'm on the AWC next January-July, but I just had to have a "taste" of the World Odyssey. Wish I could have stayed on the Insignia for the whole enchilada to Greenland, Iceland and all the other interesting ports on that itinerary!

-Sukey-

Great I will watch for your report in Jan

I thought maybe you had switched to the July voyage ;)

I will never get to do a RTW cruise so will live vicariously through others

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Thanks for the positive review, Sukey ... just goes to show that people can have different experiences based on expectations and interests. We plan to do the 2017 RTW, so I am following along on the roll calls to gain insight into what's ahead for us ;-))

Edited by h2so4

.. just goes to show that people can have different experiences based on expectations and interests.

How true

Just read some of the reviews in the review section for people on the same cruise ;)

Lyn,

-Sukey-

We were to be on the next segment from Montreal but it was massively oversold. We took an extremely generous move over offer but I will follow the ship in spirit. I hope someone on board posts comments.

We were to be on the next segment from Montreal but it was massively oversold. We took an extremely generous move over offer but I will follow the ship in spirit.
Likewise sammiedawg. We were also booked on the massively oversold Montreal-Southampton segment of the World Odyssey. We received numerous offers to move off which we declined. But then came an unbelievable offer to move to a later segment of the WO with huge incentives, which we accepted. Our per diem and added perks on a more exotic itinerary is utterly insane! Nevertheless, I can't get that Iceland/Greenland segment out of my mind and look forward to reading first-hand reports.