What time is all aboard?

cruisegal415

When in port, I've seen that if the ship is leaving at 7, it's best to get back by 5:30, I assume because all aboard is at 6, to give a cushion? But what about for those ports where the ship isn't departing until 11 pm?

I know people want to eat dinner on the ship, but what if we don't? Or are willing to eat later.

We are docked in Livorno until 11 pm. I was thinking this would give us more time to see Florence. Instead of rushing to get back by 5:30, perhaps we could stay a few hours more?

We are docked in Monte Carlo until 11 pm. Perhaps we can go out after dinner?

Can anyone tell me what time is all aboard for these late departure ports?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It depends on whether you are asking about a port of call or the original departure.

Usually for a port of call it is half an hour before departure ... but they mean it! It's never fun to have your names called as being no-shows.

For the original departure it's 2 hours.

Mura

It will be posted in the daily CURRENTS also at the gangway & usually the CD will tell you in his morning announcement

generally you must be ONBOARD 30 minutes prior to sailaway

45 is better

The whole point of staying later in port is to see more of the town.

As long as you are back half an hour before departure you will be fine.

Many people on the late departures will decide to have dinner off the ship.

Although it should go without saying, if you decide to stay late in Florence double check the train times.

It's best, as LHT28 advises, to build in some contingency, especially with places as far afield as Florence is from Livorno.

Have a great trip and don't miss the ship :D

Hi Cruisgal, all responses are correct. I just want to add that, if your did not do it already, you can view the schedule of the trains: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

While you will enjoy a local dinner you can avoid the evening rush from other commuters from Firenze to Liverno, and this is also an extra bonus for you.

We have booked the train tickets also via the website for our next June cruise. Most passengers in Livorno come in waves at the train station and sometimes the line in front of the ticket windows are very long. As trains leave to Liverno about every 30 mts, you can skip this line and jump on your train without any delay. Online tickets are only valid on the time & day shown and you need to carry an ID as well (proof that you are you). This means that online tickets do not need any stamping in the machines on the platform (as they already are validated for that particular departure). Enjoy en Bon Viaggi!

30 minutes before departure is the common recommended return time across almost all cruise lines.

The Captain can make a decision to stay for a late passenger or passengers, but is not obligated to.

In all of my years of cruising I would say the ship leaves within 5 minutes of the scheduled departure time at least 90% of the time.

Oh this is good to know. We're doing a private excursion and were trying to fit in Pisa, Florence and a winery tour and originally thinking we still had to be back by 5:30. Then I noticed departure time is 11 pm so I'm thinking maybe we do Pisa, winery and Florence and get ourselves back to the ship. I'm not thinking of staying much later than 5 or six so I'm sure we'll get back in time! I just wasn't sure if all aboard was still 6 even if the ship leaves later.

Oh this is good to know. We're doing a private excursion and were trying to fit in Pisa, Florence and a winery tour and originally thinking we still had to be back by 5:30. Then I noticed departure time is 11 pm so I'm thinking maybe we do Pisa, winery and Florence and get ourselves back to the ship. I'm not thinking of staying much later than 5 or six so I'm sure we'll get back in time! I just wasn't sure if all aboard was still 6 even if the ship leaves later.

I'm delighted you asked this question and happier still that you got an answer that makes your upcoming cruise plans more flexible. But I do have a question about your previous cruises: Does RCCL establish back-on-board time several hours earlier than sail away time? Is this what led to you be concerned about Oceania?

Sincerely curious.

I'm delighted you asked this question and happier still that you got an answer that makes your upcoming cruise plans more flexible. But I do have a question about your previous cruises: Does RCCL establish back-on-board time several hours earlier than sail away time? Is this what led to you be concerned about Oceania?

Sincerely curious.

Not that I recall and honestly those cruises were just Caribbean and how much time do you need in those ports, anyway? The only time we've actually ever done a private excursion was in Jamaica, we did one where we added on to other guests we "met" on Cruise Critic and we were those who were doing the run of shame back to the ship with seconds to spare. We were nervous/bordering on frantic the whole second half of that excursion as we did the "secret falls" then a rafting trip which took forever and wasn't even fun. The place they took us to was way far away from the port and it took forever to get back on these awful little roads. We vowed we'd never put ourselves in that position again.

Never having cruis d Oceania; never having been to Europe let alone Florence, and contemplating a variety of different places to go (Florence, Pisa and hopefully a Chianti winery) and knowing we could be an hour and a half from port, just wanted to make sure I knew the outside time to plan on getting back to avoid feeling rushed and panicky again.

Edited by cruisegal415

Never having cruis d Oceania; never having been to Europe let alone Florence, and contemplating a variety of different places to go (Florence, Pisa and hopefully a Chianti winery) and knowing we could be an hour and a half from port, just wanted to make sure I knew the outside time to plan on getting back to avoid feeling rushed and panicky again.

If you use the services of one of the highly recommended tour companies in each of the ports you'll be visiting, you shouldn't get involved in another of those breathless, panicky returns. Providing private tours to cruisers/travelers is a big business and the well-regarded tour companies know that if they were to create a problem getting a client back to the ship late -- even once -- their reputation would take a major hit on the important sites like Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

To identify the better tour companies, I suggest you go to the correct Port of Call boards. (Monaco will be on a different board from Livorno.)

Oh absolutely. I have names of good companies. Was really asking in case we decided to DIY in Florence to get ourselves back to the ship. To find out the outside time to get back in case we take the wrong train or miss the train or something.