Dawn Princess questions

lahore

We will be on Dawn Princess in a few weeks. I have cruised quite a lot before, but never on Princess. A few questions please:

1. The Sanctuary looks nice. What does it cost please and how is access arranged - is it a per trip or per cruise cost?

2. I don't drink alcohol but I drink a lot of soft drink (aka soda). Does Dawn Princess have soda packages and if so what is their cost in AUD please? Where and when does one buy it? And is it 'real' soda (e.g., cans of as in the case of Oceania/Seabourn) or is it post mix (that often-nasty mixed stuff that comes out of a tap at the bar)?

3. Further to question 2 above, if the 'soda' is out of a tap, can you take your own cans on board without being given a hard time by security? Also there is a soft drink in Asia (in cans) called '100+' which we love, and is highly unlikely to be sold on board. Can I buy it ashore and bring it on without aforesaid hassle?

4. Beds and Pillows: I'm very fussy and am shocked to read on the boards here that people think the beds on Princess are 'lumpy and/or uncomfortable' and the pillows 'thin as a pancake'. I will probably buy a new feather pillow in Singapore before boarding (more hygienic too) but I can't take a bed on board! Any opinions on beds in a balcony cabin on Rivera from recent previous guests?

5. Do people serve you in the buffet (e.g., dole out the food) as in Oceania - a hygienic practice that I would appreciate? Or is it a 'help yourself' situation? The latter sounds like a recipe for Noro so I'm hoping for the former.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by lahore

Hi.

There is a Soda Package, but it is from the fountain, that is, mixed...

You can purchase soft drinks in cans on the ship; I believe it is around $2.00.

You may bring your own soft drinks onboard, no problem there. Some passengers bring a case or more! Yes, go ahead and purchase your favourite soft drinks ashore.

The Buffet is usually self-serve, except in the case of a Norovirus situation where then you will be served.

Cheers.

We will be on Dawn Princess in a few weeks. I have cruised quite a lot before, but never on Princess. A few questions please:

1. The Sanctuary looks nice. What does it cost please and how is access arranged - is it a per trip or per cruise cost? $40 a full day, $20 a half day. Can book for the entire cruise on embarkation day if you wish.

2. I don't drink alcohol but I drink a lot of soft drink (aka soda). Does Dawn Princess have soda packages and if so what is their cost in AUD please? Where and when does one buy it? And is it 'real' soda (e.g., cans of as in the case of Oceania/Seabourn) or is it post mix (that often-nasty mixed stuff that comes out of a tap at the bar)? Sorry, I do not know the cost on the Australia based ships, but in US $ on the other ships The Unlimited Soda Package is $5.18/day including service charge and must be purchased for the entire cruise. "Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge." No cans and does not include cans of soda that might be in your stateroom.

3. Further to question 2 above, if the 'soda' is out of a tap, can you take your own cans on board without being given a hard time by security? Also there is a soft drink in Asia (in cans) called '100+' which we love, and is highly unlikely to be sold on board. Can I buy it ashore and bring it on without aforesaid hassle? Princess allows you to bring all the soda you want on board. There is a small fridge in every cabin, so you can shill them there.

5. Do people serve you in the buffet (e.g., dole out the food) as in Oceania - a hygienic practice that I would appreciate? Or is it a 'help yourself' situation? The latter sounds like a recipe for Noro so I'm hoping for the former. Help yourself unless, as above poster said, there is a noro alert.

Thanks for any advice.

see above in red

Thanks to both respondents. Really helpful :)

If you have any more questions regarding the Dawn Princess, I suggest you post on the 'Australia & New Zealand' section of this forum. You will be reaching a lot of people who have sailed on the Dawn Princess recently and will be able to answer specific questions.:)

• 3 weeks later...
If you have any more questions regarding the Dawn Princess, I suggest you post on the 'Australia & New Zealand' section of this forum. You will be reaching a lot of people who have sailed on the Dawn Princess recently and will be able to answer specific questions.:)

Hi there, sorry but being new to this forum, can you please either explain or paste a link to the 'Australian & New Zealand' section? as I thought that you had to look on the Dawn Princess forum, for your specific cruises :confused:

thanks for your info :)

Hi there, sorry but being new to this forum, can you please either explain or paste a link to the 'Australian & New Zealand' section? as I thought that you had to look on the Dawn Princess forum, for your specific cruises :confused:

thanks for your info :)

Hi Geblues,

If you go back to the Cruise Critic Message Board Forum page and scroll down further past the Cruise Line's A to Z and Roll calls, you will see the Australia and New Zealand forum section. Hope this helps you-- I'd post the link but I'm PC ..... lets just say not real savvy :)

Here is the link to the 'Australian & New Zealand' board.;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

Thanks Ausgirl101 and BTB! I really appreciate it. I had tried to find it but all I could find was Aus and NZ as a destination. BTB your link was a fantastic help and Ausgirl now I know where to look. Thanks again!

kind regards, G x