First time here-what to do for Mitsugirly

mitsugirly

As much as we cruise the Caribbean, we have never been to Barbados. I love new experiences and it's time for me to figure out what to do when we go here.

About us, for those that have not read my reviews or seen me around the boards: We are a family that thrives on the ocean and beaches! We can do nice relaxing sandy beaches or beaches that have snorkeling. If there's snorkeling right from the beach, that's better. I really don't care for the boat trips out to a reef type of snorkeling...unless you are there for another reason (like swimming with the sharks or stingrays...since you're already out there). But, I won't pay just to go out, by boat, to a reef.

We are fairly easy to please, love a beautiful beach, love if it has natural shade close to the water, but fine if not. Added plus if there's food/drinks to purchase on the beach. We aren't the type that will hang out at the beach and then leave to go to such-and-such place because they are known to have the best ______ (insert food) on the island. Nope, not us. Half the time we don't even eat while on the island unless it's included with an AI or just a snack. We wait until we get back to the ship.

We ARE NOT the type of people to go site seeing. We are not history buffs and could care less about that stuff.

We are adventurous (ziplining, cave tubing type of things), but if too strenuous with climbing, my recent (and by recent I mean over the last few years recent) "cruise weight" has caught up with me and truth be known, I wear out a little easier than I use to a few years back. Man, I must get on a diet soon. :p

So, what would you suggest for me here? Any "must see" beaches? Any terrific snorkeling from shore? Anything this place is "known for" and must do while there?

Throw your ideas at me. :)

Boat yard would be a good choice for your family - your mermaid daughter would love the water toys and jumping from the pier. :cool: There are many other beach clubs on the same stretch of sand - read the reviews and pick one.

A vendor will offer a $20 snorkel tour that takes about 75-90 minutes; snorkel over a ship wreck (pretty good) and another stop to swim with the sea turtles (great!). You can try this from the shore, but I think the tour is worth $20 each - the rum punch helps! :D

Good luck! :)

Edited by JohninDC

Hi, Ohio neighbor!! What part of Ohio are you located?? As noted, we are in Columbus. Good luck with your planning and preparations for Bridgetown and wonderful Barbados. At

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2262999

with the title of "Barbados: Our Pix's, Experiences Feb./2015!" so you can see lots of fun visuals and ideas for many options and potentials in and around this historic and charming island.

Understand that you are not that much into history, sightseeing, etc. BUT, Barbados is very different than the average or typical Caribbean island. Plus, there are very good and interesting people here. What's best? Much depends on your exact personal style and past travel experience loves, etc. Need proof on Barbados' greatness? Here below are a few of my visuals as a little "evidence" and a sampling of its wonders. Maybe getting a little "sampling" for its style and character would be of interest given ALL that you have previously done in the Caribbean. Amazing travels, very nice pictures, etc.

Don't be shy!! Feel free on that thread to ask any follow-up questions, etc. Keep researching!! You've done so much that it makes things more challenging!! Good luck!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,213 views for these postings.

Before boarding our ship, we did a three-hour private tour with a Barbados taxi driver. He took us all over this historic and scenic island, including to the top where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea come together. Is this a dramatic and scenic location? Does my wife’s smile say it all?:

Jan15SCStartA18_zps3ohbqq6l.jpg

Here are a few more visuals samples from our three-hour private tour around Barbados. This includes their Parliament building in main downtown, my wife loving this stop at one of their top beaches, visiting their historic St. James church and going through one of their older towns along the coast. Lots of nice homes and areas in this northern part of Barbados.:

Jan15SCStartA20_zpsfnqiknki.jpg

Jan15SCStartA21_zpsqwwe5utx.jpg

Jan15SCStartA24_zps8jpsbxj6.jpg

Here is one example for what saw when walking from the port to the main part of town in Barbados. This includes the local island fish market where this merchant showed us a look at one of his large fish.:

SCFeb11BB11_zpsrlhsrjuw.jpg

Here is sample of party boats in the main harbor serving some of the visitors from the Royal Princess and Carnival ships that were in port during this day:

SCFeb11BB10_zpsozkjfahv.jpg

I would HIGHLY recommend going to one of the beach clubs along Carlisle bay. The Boatyard is $15 per person, and that includes one free drink (they have a certain menu for these, and I must say, the Shark Bite is quite tasty :D), a lounge chair and transportation back to the cruise terminal. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to get there from the ship. They have pretty decent food available and restrooms as well.I've also hear a lot of good things about harbor lights. I have to admit it I was hoping that you would make it to Barbados for one reason.... SEA TURTLES! We ended up tracking down Neville ( you will see him mentioned a lot in the board), he has a glass bottom boat that he takes you out in, and charges $20 per person. All you have to do is ask around, and somebody will point in him out or flag him down for you. Neither of us had ever snorkled before, so he was great about instructing us in what to do in the way out. Once we were in the water with the turtles, it was such an AMAZING experience. We always had two green sea turtles around us and at one point a hawksbill even came to say hello! Neville always stayed close by in case we had any trouble, and told us all about the turtles. With my Mom's health issues, she couldn't get into the water, so he brought the turtles over to the boat so she could see and enjoy them as well. After the turtles, he took us to a few sunken ships in the bay. We were pooped after swimming with the turtles, so we just stayed in the boat and looked at everything through the bottom of the boat as he pointed out different types of coral and fish. On our way back he served us rum punch and chatted some more about the island. We didn't like the area of the beach where he picked us up at, so we asked if he could drop us off at the Boatyard, and he was happy to accommodate us. Even if you don't go out with Neville, there are plenty of vendors around to take you out. Sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to share our great experience with you and help with your decision :D.

P.S. I almost forgot to mention, when you go to find a taxi, ask if they are leaving right away. Some of the van type taxis will try to wait and get their van as full as possible, so you may end up waiting awhile (we ended up waiting around 20-30 minutes). So I would recommend walking down the line until you find somebody leaving soon.

Edited by New2cruise1483

My suggestion would be a catamaran cruise and snorkel, it is a little pricey but well worth the money. We've been on 2, one with R & R cruising charters and one with Calabaza, they were both great and do everything to make your day wonderful. We swam with turtles on both.

We have also taken a taxi to Crane Beach and got beach access through the Crane Beach Resort....it is on the Atlantic side and the surf is pretty adventurous to say the least, but it is beautiful there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I have been busy planning my days in St Thomas, St Maarten, St Kitts, and St Lucia and think I have them all figured out. Now on to Barbados.

Boat yard would be a good choice for your family - your mermaid daughter would love the water toys and jumping from the pier. :cool: There are many other beach clubs on the same stretch of sand - read the reviews and pick one.

A vendor will offer a $20 snorkel tour that takes about 75-90 minutes; snorkel over a ship wreck (pretty good) and another stop to swim with the sea turtles (great!). You can try this from the shore, but I think the tour is worth $20 each - the rum punch helps! :D

Good luck! :)

So that same stretch of sand you mentioned...what are the names of these places so that I can research?

We would LOVE to swim with the turtles! Is this just a vendor that you find from the beach or something you can book ahead?

Edited by mitsugirly

I would HIGHLY recommend going to one of the beach clubs along Carlisle bay. The Boatyard is $15 per person, and that includes one free drink (they have a certain menu for these, and I must say, the Shark Bite is quite tasty :D), a lounge chair and transportation back to the cruise terminal. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to get there from the ship. They have pretty decent food available and restrooms as well.I've also hear a lot of good things about harbor lights. I have to admit it I was hoping that you would make it to Barbados for one reason.... SEA TURTLES! We ended up tracking down Neville ( you will see him mentioned a lot in the board), he has a glass bottom boat that he takes you out in, and charges $20 per person. All you have to do is ask around, and somebody will point in him out or flag him down for you. Neither of us had ever snorkled before, so he was great about instructing us in what to do in the way out. Once we were in the water with the turtles, it was such an AMAZING experience. We always had two green sea turtles around us and at one point a hawksbill even came to say hello! Neville always stayed close by in case we had any trouble, and told us all about the turtles. With my Mom's health issues, she couldn't get into the water, so he brought the turtles over to the boat so she could see and enjoy them as well. After the turtles, he took us to a few sunken ships in the bay. We were pooped after swimming with the turtles, so we just stayed in the boat and looked at everything through the bottom of the boat as he pointed out different types of coral and fish. On our way back he served us rum punch and chatted some more about the island. We didn't like the area of the beach where he picked us up at, so we asked if he could drop us off at the Boatyard, and he was happy to accommodate us. Even if you don't go out with Neville, there are plenty of vendors around to take you out. Sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to share our great experience with you and help with your decision :D.

P.S. I almost forgot to mention, when you go to find a taxi, ask if they are leaving right away. Some of the van type taxis will try to wait and get their van as full as possible, so you may end up waiting awhile (we ended up waiting around 20-30 minutes). So I would recommend walking down the line until you find somebody leaving soon.

Well, since I have never been here before (and don't know what the big thing to do here is), I didn't really know about swimming with the turtles until now. It sounds like this is THE thing to do here...and it sounds AWESOME to me! I'm sure my little one would absolutely LOVE that. The only time we have ever seen sea turtles is our trip last year to Bermuda and we seen them from our whaler boat we rented. They would not let you get anywhere close to them to even take a picture let alone swim with them. They must have these turtles trained. :p

I will look up this Nevelle. It sounds like an awesome tour. Can you pre-book this or is the only way to find him by going to Harbour Lights and hunting him down?

What did you not like about Harbour Lights that made you want to go over to the Boatyard instead?

There is also Rockley/Accra Beach and nearby Tiki Bar (on same beach but separate establishment) which offers a package as well... I think its $30 which gives you umbrella, chairs, food and drink.

That looks to be in the opposite direction as the other places mentioned. What are the benefits of going to this beach instead? Anything? Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will look into them.

Do you know if any of them have websites? If not, I'll try searching and see what I can come up with. $30 for umbrella, chairs, FOOD and drinks sounds good. Is it like an AI there were it's all included? Is it unlimited food or just a buffet set up that you get to go to?

Thanks for the info. :)

We were in Barbados about a month ago and chose Harbour Lights beach club for the day. Overall, a good choice. Description and pictures in this review, starting on post #103:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2367536

Such an awesome review and thanks for sharing. (I already commented on it and ask questions of course and I thank you for the info). :)

That looks to be in the opposite direction as the other places mentioned. What are the benefits of going to this beach instead? Anything? Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will look into them.

Do you know if any of them have websites? If not, I'll try searching and see what I can come up with. $30 for umbrella, chairs, FOOD and drinks sounds good. Is it like an AI there were it's all included? Is it unlimited food or just a buffet set up that you get to go to?

Thanks for the info. :)

Yeah those two are a ways from each other. Boatyard/Harbour lights are very close to the port and rockley is a bit further up the coast.

Rockley beach is just a beach so don't think they would have a website. Not sure if tiki bar has one but I am sure if you do a Google search you will find something on it.

The atmosphere at these beaches would be a bit more laid back than the boat yard. While boatyard may have a lot of water toys etc..Rockley will not

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well, since I have never been here before (and don't know what the big thing to do here is), I didn't really know about swimming with the turtles until now. It sounds like this is THE thing to do here...and it sounds AWESOME to me! I'm sure my little one would absolutely LOVE that. The only time we have ever seen sea turtles is our trip last year to Bermuda and we seen them from our whaler boat we rented. They would not let you get anywhere close to them to even take a picture let alone swim with them. They must have these turtles trained. :p

I will look up this Nevelle. It sounds like an awesome tour. Can you pre-book this or is the only way to find him by going to Harbour Lights and hunting him down?

What did you not like about Harbour Lights that made you want to go over to the Boatyard instead?

You will just have to hunt him down. There are a lot of vendors on the beach to take you out though. We actually asked to be dropped off at the boatyard because we thought that's where Neville would be lol. Ended up in front of a place ( i don't recall the name of) that I really didn't like. We just got a bad vibe from it. Plus I liked the package that the Boatyard offers. The turtles are wild, but they're just use to being fed, so when they see the boats, they come swimming! It truly was one of the highlights of our trip :D. I know you guys will love it!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. I have been busy planning my days in St Thomas, St Maarten, St Kitts, and St Lucia and think I have them all figured out. Now on to Barbados.

So that same stretch of sand you mentioned...what are the names of these places so that I can research?

We would LOVE to swim with the turtles! Is this just a vendor that you find from the beach or something you can book ahead?

Carlisle Bay hosts a number of beach clubs - besides the Boatyard look at Harbor Lights and Lobster Alive. Only the Boatyard has the water toys, pier with jumping rope, etc.

The vendor selling tips to swim with the turtles will approach you - along with guys selling fresh aloe vera and "other products" :rolleyes: Boatyard warned you not to rent any power gear - jet skis, etc., which I think is more of a liability thing. We loved the place!

You could book ahead by signing up for one of the catamaran snorkel tours - we say the boats pulling into Carlisle Bay and swimming with the same turtles.

Carlisle Bay hosts a number of beach clubs - besides the Boatyard look at Harbor Lights and Lobster Alive. Only the Boatyard has the water toys, pier with jumping rope, etc.

The vendor selling tips to swim with the turtles will approach you - along with guys selling fresh aloe vera and "other products" :rolleyes: Boatyard warned you not to rent any power gear - jet skis, etc., which I think is more of a liability thing. We loved the place!

You could book ahead by signing up for one of the catamaran snorkel tours - we say the boats pulling into Carlisle Bay and swimming with the same turtles.

After doing a little research last night, I did notice those places along Carlisle and also was reading on another place: Accra/Rockley Beach and Tiki Bar as well.

I looked at pictures, read some reviews, and did some youtube videos of the Boatyard and honestly, I'm not really sure if that's the place for us. The water toys really didn't impress me (only seeing 2: a trampoline, which would be fun, but not with a bunch of people on it, and the dreaded ice mountain thing, which non-of us would probably be able to climb to begin with). The rope thing looked "ok", but ehh, not really sure. But there were just so many reports of it being so crowded and loud there with the music blaring. I'm just not sure if this is what I want for our first experience there although it's seems like it's the "cheapest" way to go when in Barbados since it's the closest.

I need to look at Harbour Lights a little closer. When I tried to look up pictures, most were from night and partying, so that really doesn't give me a good picture of what it's like on the beach and during the day.

We arrived at Boatyard early and were seated under an umbrella in the first row of chairs. Music was not loud - mostly in the background.

The other beach clubs are associated with restaurants, which is why you see lots of night time photos on trip advisor; their beach parts appeared to be limited to chairs and umbrellas, plus use of the bar and facilities.

Barbados is by far my most favorite place to go in the Carribean, we have been there by cruise ship and my son and I spent 2 weeks there last summer. If you like to swim and want to see the turtles I recommend Calabaza for a great day on the water. You get 2 snorkel spots where you will swim and feed the sea turtles and snorkel over the ship wrecks. After snorkeling you'll sail down the coast and anchor off the beach where you will have lunch and the opportunity to swim. You are close enough to the beach that you can swim up and relax. The entire days is great as are the food and drinks, well worth the price.

Calabaza is an awesome day and you wont be sorry sailing with Gina and her crew.

Barbados is by far my most favorite place to go in the Carribean, we have been there by cruise ship and my son and I spent 2 weeks there last summer. If you like to swim and want to see the turtles I recommend Calabaza for a great day on the water. You get 2 snorkel spots where you will swim and feed the sea turtles and snorkel over the ship wrecks. After snorkeling you'll sail down the coast and anchor off the beach where you will have lunch and the opportunity to swim. You are close enough to the beach that you can swim up and relax. The entire days is great as are the food and drinks, well worth the price.

Calabaza is an awesome day and you wont be sorry sailing with Gina and her crew.

It sounds like an absolutely wonderful time and I'm sure we'd have a great time but at $110pp (and there's 3 of us), not quite worth it to me. I really want to go swim with the turtles, since that's something that we have never done before. But not really interested in another snorkel spot from a boat or the ship wreck. I much rather snorkel from the shore (if it's available) or not at all.

Maybe another time unless anyone knows of a vendor that will just do the turtles? (I realize others have mentioned vendors will go up and down the beach to take you out, but much rather do a "tour" with someone, like Calabaza, but only to see the turtles). :)

As much as we cruise the Caribbean, we have never been to Barbados. I love new experiences and it's time for me to figure out what to do when we go here.

About us, for those that have not read my reviews or seen me around the boards: We are a family that thrives on the ocean and beaches! We can do nice relaxing sandy beaches or beaches that have snorkeling. If there's snorkeling right from the beach, that's better. I really don't care for the boat trips out to a reef type of snorkeling...unless you are there for another reason (like swimming with the sharks or stingrays...since you're already out there). But, I won't pay just to go out, by boat, to a reef.

We are fairly easy to please, love a beautiful beach, love if it has natural shade close to the water, but fine if not. Added plus if there's food/drinks to purchase on the beach. We aren't the type that will hang out at the beach and then leave to go to such-and-such place because they are known to have the best ______ (insert food) on the island. Nope, not us. Half the time we don't even eat while on the island unless it's included with an AI or just a snack. We wait until we get back to the ship.

We ARE NOT the type of people to go site seeing. We are not history buffs and could care less about that stuff.

We are adventurous (ziplining, cave tubing type of things), but if too strenuous with climbing, my recent (and by recent I mean over the last few years recent) "cruise weight" has caught up with me and truth be known, I wear out a little easier than I use to a few years back. Man, I must get on a diet soon. :p

So, what would you suggest for me here? Any "must see" beaches? Any terrific snorkeling from shore? Anything this place is "known for" and must do while there?

Throw your ideas at me. :)

I feel terrible...I didn't see the question you had on the other thread for me about Payne's Bay Beach. It had been so long ago that I posted there and I hadn't even noticed it popped up again. I know your cruise is coming up quick, so so sorry I didn't notice. I did answer in as much detail as possible but didn't know if you'd see that or not, so posting here to let you know. Hope it helps!

I feel terrible...I didn't see the question you had on the other thread for me about Payne's Bay Beach. It had been so long ago that I posted there and I hadn't even noticed it popped up again. I know your cruise is coming up quick, so so sorry I didn't notice. I did answer in as much detail as possible but didn't know if you'd see that or not, so posting here to let you know. Hope it helps!

Don't feel terrible at all. I have been dealing with my school and trying to get this class finished up. Only 1 more APA essay and 2 discussion board postings stand between me and a month off from school. :p I can not wait until this week ends!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mitsugirly, John & everyone,

I've decided that once we hit Barbados, we'll get off the ship bear right and hug the shoe line, until we get to the Boatyard. We'll get the chairs and a ride back to the ship. May or may not get out to the turtles. Are there jet skis for rent? I won't do it but the young adults want it.

Thank you for all the suggestions and info.:D

• 1 month later...