Esta

babs135

Time for us to get new Estas, but I have a couple of questions.

Can DH and I fill the form in as a group or do we have to do it individually? Secondly, our DD will be joining us on the return eastbound voyage so can we include her on our group form or should she apply in her own right. She is an adult over 18.

Can anyone clarify that if we did a group form we could still enter the US as individuals? I may just fly to New York spring time, with or without DD to do some shopping without himself breathing down my neck :eek:

For the sake of $30 is it worth the risks? If a passport is lost or renewed, that will invalidate the ESTA at least for that person, not sure about everyone.

We've always had our own, and like you, I travelled without her indoors last year and went with one of my sons, so it made sense to purchase our own.

Stewart

An ESTA lasts for two years and costs $14 ...

(post-brexit, at current exchange rates, that's around £2,800.00 ... :D ).

Seriously, that's around £12... £12... :confused:

Have one each... :rolleyes:

Edited by pepperrn

I previously did a 'group' application for the 2 of us - but we both got our individual ESTAs approved and are free to travel independently as well as together. I could have included other people of any age within my 'group' e.g my dad

- One umbrella application / application reference number

- One fee payment (i.e. the sum of 2 x individual fee)

- One email returned with a link to the group application within which the individual ESTAs can be viewed

The failure of one application within the group would not stop the rest of the group being granted their ESTA (subject to being approval- worthy themselves...)

There is little benefit of applying separately - other than not paying for one earlier than otherwise necessary....

Am I'm not missing something here am I ?

I must say we always make individual applications. Don't know why but it just seems easier to get each one tidied away on its own. Same cost, takes only a little longer. My hope is that the ESTA scheme isn't interfered with as of Jan next. I remember when one had to get a regular VISA and it was a PITA.

Group ESTA Application =

Its a bulk order of single ESTAs .... not a single order for a group ESTA

That's what I thought as well.

We had one 3 years ago for 2 of us. It's just that there was a single email and a single payment.

I've just logged on and it gives two separate application numbers. Also, as I recall, when I did it 3 years ago, my wife's came up as "approved" instantly and mine said "pending" (or whatever) and then a few minutes later mine was "approved".

So doing it as a group is just for admin and payment. Each person is done individually.

I started doing the group application for two of us but gave up part way through. It was not made clear when it came to the verification section whose date of birth and passport number they wanted. I then did the individual applications which was straightforward.

Did the group application with no problems and were approved within the hour.

Something obviously didn't tally when completing the group application form. Must admit I then got a bit frustrated with it so gave up. As we have less than two weeks to go till departure I started to panic Had to enter "unknown" in address boxes and zeros in phone no box as we're not staying in the US before boarding but only discovered this when I tried to continue. The individuals were approved very quickly so panic over.

So has the ESTA application changed in the last 18 months? I have always done mine and my husbands as a group, and then was given a group number, though we had our own individual ESTA numbers too. All that did was in future I was able to bring up both applications/acceptances with that group number if I needed to change anything, like where we would be staying on arrival. Is there a different group system now then? Needing new ones next March.

Edited by maz48

Something obviously didn't tally when completing the group application form. Must admit I then got a bit frustrated with it so gave up. As we have less than two weeks to go till departure I started to panic Had to enter "unknown" in address boxes and zeros in phone no box as we're not staying in the US before boarding but only discovered this when I tried to continue. The individuals were approved very quickly so panic over.

If your not staying in USA then You are 'in Transit' and the Name of the Ship is the address.

It costs $14.00 per person if you go to the real USA site not the one someone has posted the link too! I have done it 2 or 3 times for us both does not take long and is really quite easy.

This last one the Travel agent offered to do it for me, made it even simpler ;)

It costs $14.00 per person if you go to the real USA site not the one someone has posted the link too! I have done it 2 or 3 times for us both does not take long and is really quite easy.

This last one the Travel agent offered to do it for me, made it even simpler ;)

If you mean the link I posted, it IS the official site. If you've found another one, then it's not official. When our ESTA ran out, we got an email reminding us and that is the email address I was given. Any website with the word "gov" in the address, is official. Try typing "official ESTA website" into Google.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

E-mail Security: If you are concerned about clicking the above link, ESTA can be accessed by typing https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov in the address bar of your browser.

Edited by Ray66

If your not staying in USA then You are 'in Transit' and the Name of the Ship is the address.

Thanks for the tip. I just wish I'd known that sooner. It would have saved a lot of time and angst. I started off selecting "in transit" then changed my mind. If staying in the US pre-cruise it is no problem as you would have an address etc.

If you mean the link I posted, it IS the official site. If you've found another one, then it's not official. When our ESTA ran out, we got an email reminding us and that is the email address I was given. Any website with the word "gov" in the address, is official. Try typing "official ESTA website" into Google.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

E-mail Security: If you are concerned about clicking the above link, ESTA can be accessed by typing https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov in the address bar of your browser.

That's the one we used. You do have to be careful; lots of sites out there that look almost official.