Smoking motel/hotel? Cheapest place to rent a car?

bucky0926

We are cruising on 8/20/17 and will be going down to Fort Lauderdale on the 17th. Looking to rent a car for 17 till the 20th.

What motel/hotel still have smoking rooms? Just came back from Vermont and the whole state doesn't allow smoking rooms in hotels any longer (not planning on going back any time soon). Doesn't have to be fancy but do need it to be clean and a refrig in room would be appreciated. Also doesn't have to be directly in port area if we can drop the rental at PE. Beach access would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Also where can I rent a car cheap for those days (17 till 20th). I was wondering if any of the car rental places have a place at PE where we could drop it and get on the ship. Any ideas are welcome.

Last question first. A little reading on the board would reveal that there are no rental car drop offs in the port, but several close by, with shuttles.

As to which is cheapest, you just have to do the research.

As to smoking, do a Google search for "Ft Lauderdale smoking hotels". Surprising results.

Last question first. A little reading on the board would reveal that there are no rental car drop offs in the port, but several close by, with shuttles.

As to which is cheapest, you just have to do the research.

As to smoking, do a Google search for "Ft Lauderdale smoking hotels". Surprising results.

When I do that search hotels come up that do not offer smoking so that search is useless. I figured someone on this board smokes and knows of a place.

Hilton Marina is the only one I could quickly find.

The Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport (address of 400 Gulf Stream Way) is not flagged as non-smoking on the Marriott website (only one in Ft Lauderale area that isn't) but the website for the property is vague on that issue; I suggest you call direct.

Hilton Marina is the only one I could quickly find.

The Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport (address of 400 Gulf Stream Way) is not flagged as non-smoking on the Marriott website (only one in Ft Lauderale area that isn't) but the website for the property is vague on that issue; I suggest you call direct.

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Hilton allows smoking and I would book but 25 per night to park the rental is a little steep.

According to Marriott reservations all North American hotels are smoke free (Guess I should start cruising Europe).

Still on the hunt.

You may want to carefully check out car rental companies and their smoking policies. Hertz charges a $400 cleaning fee when a car is returned with evidence of smoking.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was not aware. Its been quite a while since I've rented a car.

Try any of the Wyndham brands, e.g. Ramada, Microtel, Baymont, HoJo, etc. They aren't always the nicest, but I believe that all of the brands still have smoking rooms (I don't book them, I just noticed that they are available when I am checking rooms).

... The Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Airport/Cruiseport (address of 400 Gulf Stream Way) is not flagged as non-smoking on the Marriott website (only one in Ft Lauderale area that isn't) but the website for the property is vague on that issue; I suggest you call direct.

All Marriott properties are smoke free.

All Marriott properties are smoke free.

According to the Marriott website:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=smokefree

The Marriott Smoke-free Hotel Policy

Marriott is committed to providing its guests and associates with a smoke-free environment, and is proud to boast one of the most comprehensive smoke-free hotel policies in the industry. Since its introduction in 2006, the policy has been implemented in more than 2,300 properties throughout the United States and Canada under the Marriott, JW Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, Renaissance, Courtyard, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and ExecuStay brands.

The smoke-free hotel policy has received praise from guests, and Marriott remains committed to achieving a smoke-free environment in all of its properties in the U.S. and Canada. The continuing efforts of these properties to comply with the smoke-free policy reinforces Marriott’s commitment to being an environmentally friendly company.

We look forward to welcoming you — so you can experience the clear difference that Marriott offers.

Marriott does not explicitly say that 100% of their domestic properties are non-smoking. And the language used seems to indicate that implementation of the program is still ongoing. Which is why I found it notable that there was one property in the FLL area that did not say "smoke free hotel" on the search results screen, and that the property-specific page has no mention of smoking at all. Though I was certainly not surprised that it was a dead end.

Try any of the Wyndham brands, e.g. Ramada, Microtel, Baymont, HoJo, etc. They aren't always the nicest, but I believe that all of the brands still have smoking rooms (I don't book them, I just noticed that they are available when I am checking rooms).

That's the problem. As I stated it doesn't have to be fancy but bugs, mold, and filth are out. The ones in Fort Lauderdale all have bad right ups with the problems I mentioned.

Found a place called Bali Hai. Small motel but got good write ups with being clean. Booked a smoking room. I can go without smoking in the car because I can always pull over to have a smoke. But don't want to get up in the middle of the night get dressed, go outside to have a cigarette. Thanks to all who responded. Now to find a car....

Embassy Suites on 17th. They may not advertise on their website, but they have one section of rooms for smoking. (unless this has changed in the past 6 months)

We stayed here last June, and we had a room with one of those little balconies, and I just smoked out there, using a water bottle, half full, as an ashtray. When I wasn't using it, I just screwed the lid on, and kept it on the ground. Wouldn't be able to smoke "IN" the room. Yes, I am a smoker, but smoking rooms STINK.:'):'):')