Money exchange

travlnblueberries

Where can I get a currency exchange from USD to Lempira? I called our bank and they said they can't help. They said AAA use to, but they don't anymore. Anyone???

You should be able to use an ATM once you are in Honduras.

On Roatan, I was browsing thru a stand of island made things. Didn't see anything that I wanted. As I started to leave, the lady whos stand it was, stopped me and offered to sell me a historic 50 lempira coin for only

$20.00. SEE LINK BELOW FOR INFORMATION. At that time one lempira was worth $0.05. Nice mark up huh?

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

If I would have bought it and came home? It would be worth nothing even if I could find someone to exchange it for US.

They love US Dollars. Any wonder why??? :eek:

Where can I get a currency exchange from USD to Lempira? I called our bank and they said they can't help. They said AAA use to, but they don't anymore. Anyone???

Use an ATM after you arrive.

When we have needed to use a currency exchange, we have opted for an online agency as it is possible to find a much better rate that way. We have also used the booths in major airports such as Atlanta, Detroit or Chicago, Ohare.

Doc:)

When we have needed to use a currency exchange, we have opted for an online agency as it is possible to find a much better rate that way. We have also used the booths in major airports such as Atlanta, Detroit or Chicago, Ohare.

Doc:)

Wow/ there's some real misinformation. Exchange booths in airports are among the most costly in bad rates and/or added fees. Their parent company websites are not much better.

Use foreign bank ATMs that accept your home bank ATM card, as long as it's a bank that charges no foreign transaction fees and, better still, refunds fees charged by other banks (e.g., Mechanics Bank in northern California) are the least costly. Likewise, such banks can be used for amassing some "pocket change" to get you started in a foreign port if that planned ATM stop doesn't work.

Of course, never use a credit card for a cash advance.

... Use foreign bank ATMs that accept your home bank ATM card, as long as it's a bank that charges no foreign transaction fees and, better still, refunds fees charged by other banks (e.g., Mechanics Bank in northern California) ....

Agree. We use Capital One Bank, another with no foreign transaction fees and refunds ATM fees up to $30 per month.

Wow/ there's some real misinformation. Exchange booths in airports are among the most costly in bad rates and/or added fees. Their parent company websites are not much better.

Use foreign bank ATMs that accept your home bank ATM card, as long as it's a bank that charges no foreign transaction fees and, better still, refunds fees charged by other banks (e.g., Mechanics Bank in northern California) are the least costly. Likewise, such banks can be used for amassing some "pocket change" to get you started in a foreign port if that planned ATM stop doesn't work.

Of course, never use a credit card for a cash advance.

I'm very sorry, but the late unlamented Wachovia Bank charged at least twice the fee that the Travelex booths in Atlanta and Detroit did. If you happen to deal with one of the few banks that does not tack on fees for everything one does, then what you say may be true; I never found that situation. Wachovia wanted 8-12% depending on the currency one needed. Travelex charge less than 3% for the same transaction. Duh.

My little regional bank that I still deal with does not have free foreign credit card transactions, either through ATMs or for direct merchant payments. Since we do not travel enough to make it worth giving up the other generally favorable feature of this card, that makes your point even more moot.

What works for you would never work for me, nor, I suspect any number of other travelers.

Doc

Doc

The ATM is always the best solution for exchange rates. Just check with your bank about any fees they may be charging.

Are you going to the mainland? If it's just a stop in Roatan you really don't need anything other than USD unless you want to collect some coin and scrip from countries you visit.

In that case you can probably exchange a dollar or two with a merchant. Just know the current exchange rate. Right now a dollar gets you about 22 Lempira.

Charlie

Edited by 98Charlie