Haifa, Israel

SeahawkSiren

Hello everyone. I just booked an NCL Eastern Mediterranean cruise for next year (May 2017) and Haifa, Israel is one of the ports. There does not appear to be any recent information here on CC for this port. Looking for information on this port regarding recommended activities, "must see" places, etc. Our ship will be docked overnight in Haifa so evening activities are also a possibility. Appreciate any input. Thank you.

Some major sight-seeing opportunities are

- by taxi or train or tour, about 16 miles up the coast to the crusaders' fort at Acre (various spellings)

- by tour, to all or any of Cana (water into wine), Nazareth, a kibbutz, River Jordan baptisms, Tiberias (Sea of Galilee). All can be done on a full day tour.

We did this in a shared van hired at the cruise terminal, don't recall the cost but good value, vaguely 25 to 40 euros. Got back to the ship around 7pm after an excellent day.

- Tel Aviv is something over an hour south from Haifa and easy enough, but closer to Ashdod.

- further north to the Lebanese border, or further east to the Golan Heights (toward the Syrian border) may be problematic. Not saying they are, saying they may be.

- Haifa itself is pleasant enough, its main feature is the series of gardens that plunge down the hill through the town, very visible from the ship.

BTW I mentioned euros.

Most folk associated with tourism accept euros (& mebbe USD), but it's worth having some shekels for any public transport, museums, etc that don't accept foreign currency that also don't accept plastic, and in some cases better value-for-money.

JB :)

If you want to do any trips, look at the website for Israel Guided Tours. They work from all the main ports and take trips to all the main sites. They are very reliable and you don't pay them until you have taken your trip so there is no problem if the ship cannot dock for any reason.

Israel is a lovely country and worth trying to see as much as you can. We docked in Ashdod and visited Jerusalem and Bethlehem but I would love to stop in Haifa in the future.

Haifa is a beautiful city. Did all Israel on a land tour not a cruise. Haifa has a large Arab presence. But we did stay overnight in Haifa. We did a tour that took us to a Druze village just outside the city and we had dinner with a traditional meal with a family. They explained to us about the Druze sect and how they serve in the Israeli military. Extremely interesting and one of our trip highlights. I know there are tours that do this just don't know the names. You will have to do some research or write the Haifa chamber of commerce or council

Edited by FloridaTourist

• 2 weeks later...

How many days do you have in Israel? If you only have 2 and Haifa is your sole port, you must visit Jerusalem! (Search the board here for wonderful suggestions). If I had never been and had 2 days and wanted to see both Jerusalem and the Galilee, here's what I would do:

Hire a private driver/guide.

Day 1: Jerusalem

Day 2: Take in the view from Mt Carmel near the University, visit Megiddo, Beit She'an, Nof Ginosar/1st century boat, Mt of Beatitudes, Tabgha or Korazin, Capernaum, take a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee.

There are also many wonderful sites in the Golan and Western Galilee. Some would opt to go to Nazareth and skip some sites above, understandably; just note that the traffic can be slow there and time-consuming if on a tight schedule (if I did go, I would be sure to visit Nazareth Village). Caesarea Maritima is also an amazing site not too far to the south of Haifa, but if you were venturing north probably wouldn't have the proper time to spare, considering opening/closing times.

Realistically speaking, you cannot do it all in a day...you could spend all day at each one of these places mentioned. Research the sites, go with what appeals to your interests and ENJOY!

My ship is running an excursion that does this:

Mt. Carmel

Zippori National Park

Sea of Galilee and Tiberias

Yardenit

Golan Heights

Capernaum

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated..

That would be a very nice itinerary! Here's a link to the National Parks site: http://www.parks.org.il/Pages/default.aspx I think the English site may be under maintenance, but check back.

Zippori/Tzipori/Sepphoris is fascinating with its mosaics and ancient streets. The drive from Carmel to Tzipori is lovely. Yardenit is the baptismal site at the Jordan River (great shop there, too). There are a variety of sites to where you'll have some very nice views and vistas (Mt Carmel, Golan Heights). I'm assuming they're offering a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee, which is a highlight. I'm going to guess your lunch stop will be in Tiberias ("St Peter's Fish" is popular. The mixed grill is wonderful, too!). Capernaum, the village where Jesus moved His headquarters, is a very important site, with its layers of history.

Whatever you choose, ENJOY!!!

• 2 weeks later...

this is the information I found for a 2 day tour from Halfa in NOV 2016 from Guided Tours Israel. Although, the board does not have any activity. Sometimes I think I am on the wrong roll call.

I found a tour guide that will give a tour for a group of 10 people for two days. Day 1 The guide will pick the group up from the Haifa port in the morning to begin the drive to the holy city of Jerusalem. On our tour you will be able to enjoy a guided trip to all the major attractions of Jerusalem including the Jewish and Christian quarters in the old city, Western Wall, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Mount of Olives, and more. The tour in the old city of Jerusalem will be a walking tour as driving is not possible in this part of the city. In the afternoon you can choose to visit the city of Bethlehem. Day 2 we will again be picked up from the Haifa port for a Christian tour of Northern Israel. We would visit such beautiful and fascinating places as Nazareth, Capernaum, Tabgha, Sea of Galilee, Mount of Beatitudes, Jordan River, and Haifa. We will be guided you in a new and very comfortable van and our guide will be a Gentleman who is certified and licensed by the Ministry of Tourism, and a great person to spend the day with!

He has quoted a price for the two days at $214pp, this does not include lunch. This tour will be with Guided Tours of Israel, tripadvisor gave them a 5 star rating. If anyone is interested you can inbox me at johnlr03 at gmail dot com

Hello everyone. I just booked an NCL Eastern Mediterranean cruise for next year (May 2017) and Haifa, Israel is one of the ports. There does not appear to be any recent information here on CC for this port. Looking for information on this port regarding recommended activities, "must see" places, etc. Our ship will be docked overnight in Haifa so evening activities are also a possibility. Appreciate any input. Thank you.

The absolute best and most important thing to do is visit the B'Hai gardens and holy cites. This is the world headquarters fro this peaceful religion making Israel a centrally holly place for four world religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and B'Hai).

- Joel

this is the information I found for a 2 day tour from Halfa in NOV 2016 from Guided Tours Israel. Although, the board does not have any activity. Sometimes I think I am on the wrong roll call.

I found a tour guide that will give a tour for a group of 10 people for two days. Day 1 The guide will pick the group up from the Haifa port in the morning to begin the drive to the holy city of Jerusalem. On our tour you will be able to enjoy a guided trip to all the major attractions of Jerusalem including the Jewish and Christian quarters in the old city, Western Wall, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Mount of Olives, and more. The tour in the old city of Jerusalem will be a walking tour as driving is not possible in this part of the city. In the afternoon you can choose to visit the city of Bethlehem. Day 2 we will again be picked up from the Haifa port for a Christian tour of Northern Israel. We would visit such beautiful and fascinating places as Nazareth, Capernaum, Tabgha, Sea of Galilee, Mount of Beatitudes, Jordan River, and Haifa. We will be guided you in a new and very comfortable van and our guide will be a Gentleman who is certified and licensed by the Ministry of Tourism, and a great person to spend the day with!

He has quoted a price for the two days at $214pp, this does not include lunch. This tour will be with Guided Tours of Israel, tripadvisor gave them a 5 star rating. If anyone is interested you can inbox me at johnlr03 at gmail dot com

Here is additional information for Haifa Israel excursion that I received from the tour company. It gives a timeline and information for booking. If you have any question you may email me at johnlr03 at gmail dot com. There are 9 seats available.

Jerusalem and Bethlehem shore excursion

Date: December 4, 2016

Reservation name/code: 1204

Pick-up Location: Haifa Port

Ship: NCL Spirit

Docking time: 06:00am

Meeting time: 07:45-08:00 am

Tour start time: 08:00 am

Duration of tour: 8-10 hours

Drop-off: Haifa Port

Number of participants in your party: 1 persons

Total number of participants: 6-16 persons

Price: $115 per person

Biblical Galilee - full day Christian focused shore excursion

Date: December 5, 2016

Reservation name/code: 1204

Pick-up Location: Haifa Port

Ship: NCL Spirit

Meeting time: 06:45-07:00 am

Tour start time: 7:00 am

Duration of tour: 8-9 hours

Drop-off: Haifa Port

Number of participants in your party: 1 persons

Total number of participants: 6-16 persons

Price: $99 per person

MEETING INSTRUCTIONS

- Please look for the sign [Linda Johnson] during the meeting time indicated above.

-----------------------------------------

payment terms 2 options:

1. pay cash only in USD/Euro after each tour

2. pay in advance with your credit card or you can secure the tour with your credit cards (no amount to be charged) with vendor

G U I D E D T O U R S I S R A E L

Web: http://www.GuidedToursIsrael.com

Email: info@GuidedToursIsrael.com

Reservations: +972-(0)772-285-363

please reference code - 1204

Their Cancellation Policy:

There is a FULL REFUND (or no charge to your card) in the event that:

(1) You cancel the tour for whatever reason with at least 7 days notice

(2) If you are unable to arrive due to international transport cancellations

* There is a 10% charge for cancellations within 7 days of the start of the tour and 50% charge for cancellations within 48 hours. We reserve the right to charge in full for no-show members.