What's changed on Emerald Princess...

TheGinBoy

Before you shout at me, I did go through about 15 pages of forums, used the search feature and have googled the heck out of this.

I'm struggling to find a comprehensive list (and pictures!) of what's changed on Emerald Princess.

1. I get that Sabatini's is now SHARE up on Deck 16. I've seen some pics of that.

2. They've put in a Salty Dog Pub - what has that replaced?

3. Did the whole ship get a refresh, or was it limited to just the venues? I noticed that the MDR looked a little dated in photos I've seen.

Would love to get a detailed list of the changes, and pics? Maybe it's been posted somewhere but I can't find it for love nor money!

Trying to get excited about my cruise on Emerald Princess in a couple of months.

I doubt on a 3 night cruise you will see the best of the Emerald Princess.

The Wheelshouse bar, is, for want of a better description, the onboard Pub. That serves a good pub lunch on sea days. Not quite like the pubs I know in the UK.

Adding the Salty Dog just gives an extra choice of eating venue in the evening. Not really "half assed" at all, quite a nice addition according to most of the reviews I have read.

Burgers are available every day at the pool.

Princess is not rccl, no multi tier dining rooms and flow riders. Thankfully, say those of us who prefer it that way.

I don't think there were that many changes during dry dock, I think converting Sabatinis to Share, and new mattresses in the stateroom were the major ones.

Burgers are available every day at the pool.

I know that, at the Trident Grill, but it's not quite the same as a dedicated burger joint, which is why I was interested in Salty Dog.

Princess is not rccl, no multi tier dining rooms and flow riders. Thankfully, say those of us who prefer it that way.

I'm not trying it to see how much it's like RCI. I'm trying it for something different. Just trying to get the lay of the land, my dear.

I was on the second cruise after dry dock. Wheelhouse bar still has Pub Lunch on sea days and happy hours, but added The Salty Dog at dinner time. We did not try it, partially because of up charge, but mostly bc most of the seating is now high pub tables. My son is in a wheelchair so that does not work for us.

If you are a cruise shopper the fine jewelry shop has now become exclusive an EFFY shop.

I think most of the ship looked in very good shape, but they did not give it a complete facelift.

You named the significant changes. In addition, all beds were replaced with their new signature bed, all theater seats were re-upholstered, and the ship looks clean and well-maintained throughout. I wouldn't call the Salty Dog a burger joint by any means. It's a hipster pub that happens to serve a unique burger as one of its options. It was good and fun to try once, but I recommend Crown Grill for just $6 more pp. Have a great cruise!

Ok so what is the charge for salty dog verses crown grill? I am new to Princess and will be taking my first cruise on Emerald. Thanks

Salty Dog is $19 pp. Crown Grill is $25 pp.

Not so sure how the Salty Dog will end up doing. I was on Emerald for 19 days and walked in there several times when the Salty Dog section was open.

The Salty Dog section always had lots of empty tables. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Not so sure how the Salty Dog will end up doing. I was on Emerald for 19 days and walked in there several times when the Salty Dog section was open.

The Salty Dog section always had lots of empty tables.

It might take them a while to work out how to promote it etc.

I'm coming to Princess, Emerald and Salty Dog as a new completely fresh face. Never cruised Princess before.

From the way it's been spoken of it promotional materials it was made to sound like a venue of its own. Now I have no issue with it being a shared venue, lots of lines do that, but it wasn't terribly clear. Unless you use these forums etc you might pass it by without ever knowing (or spend your whole cruise hunting for a Salty Dog!)

Edited by TheGinBoy

It might take them a while to work out how to promote it etc.

I'm coming to Princess, Emerald and Salty Dog as a new completely fresh face. Never cruised Princess before.

From the way it's been spoken of it promotional materials it was made to sound like a venue of its own. Now I have no issue with it being a shared venue, lots of lines do that, but it wasn't terribly clear. Unless you use these forums etc you might pass it by without ever knowing (or spend your whole cruise hunting for a Salty Dog!)

Actually, Salty Dog is listed in the Princess Patter (daily news bulletin) with the location and the time it's open so there's no problem knowing where is. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

You named the significant changes. In addition, all beds were replaced with their new signature bed, all theater seats were re-upholstered, and the ship looks clean and well-maintained throughout. I wouldn't call the Salty Dog a burger joint by any means. It's a hipster pub that happens to serve a unique burger as one of its options. It was good and fun to try once, but I recommend Crown Grill for just $6 more pp. Have a great cruise!

All the beds were supposed to be changed but based on cruisers reviews/comments after the drydock they were not. :(

Actually, Salty Dog is listed in the Princess Patter (daily news bulletin) with the location and the time it's open so there's no problem knowing where is. :)

LuLu

Believe me, they will advertise it to death! When the Wheelhouse Bar converts to Salty Dog in the evening, they put a big sign out in front of the entrance. (This is how it was on the Crown, anyway.)

You're welcome, GinBoy. We got to have dinner at the Salty Dog for free because they realized they were ill-prepared to open to paid customers the first week. It was well-worth the free charge. For $19 pp, we would have enjoyed it but not necessarily gone back with Crown Grill being wayyyyy nicer. It's always fun to try new places and then decide which ones are worth a return trip. Crown Grill I can just taste right now!!!!!!

Since dry dock, the Italian Restaurant Sabatini's was changed to SHARE, a new concept in dining by Curtis Stone. The price is $39pp. On our b2b (4/5 days) it wasn't very popular. The staff were doing a hard sell all over the ship.

The Salty Dog, a gastropub, was crowded the with "younger" passengers. It takes up about 1/4 of the Wheelhouse Bar in the evening. It cost $19pp and reminded me of a tapas kind of menu. First night of each cruise no one really was there, but as the cruise went on, there was a waiting list that overflowed into the bar area. You can still go to the Wheelhouse bar for drinks and live music for dancing during the hours the Salty Dog is open.

New emergency fire signals in each cabin were installed. New mattresses should have been in all cabins, but looks like one of the posters here didn't get one. New rugs in cabins, public areas, except hallways that still have all blue for starboard and a red strip on blue for port. Theater seats were updated.

Many cabins were fitted with connecting doors. This makes travelling with children easier, but I really missed that full length mirror on the wall. We had new furniture on the balcony (deck 10), can not tell you if this was ship wide.

New screen for the Movies under the Stars. There was actually a mini movies to show all the "new" things, but I didn't see it.

Have fun, she is a great ship!

Edited by BRANDEE

What about the Crab Shack? I've been away a couple of years, so just wondering if still around? I didn't see it on the Princess web site.

Yes its still around. Have not heard they were getting rid of it.

Held in the Cafe Caribe area on selected nights.

Found this on the website,

COME BACK INDULGED • Indulge in a delightful array of familiar favorites and regional dishes, in a casual setting at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and be sure to try the Crab Shack or Fondues on select evenings. Check back throughout the day as selections change and enjoy fresh fruits, a loaded salad bar and desserts galore

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yes its still around. Have not heard they were getting rid of it.

Held in the Cafe Caribe area on selected nights.

Found this on the website,

COME BACK INDULGED • Indulge in a delightful array of familiar favorites and regional dishes, in a casual setting at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and be sure to try the Crab Shack or Fondues on select evenings. Check back throughout the day as selections change and enjoy fresh fruits, a loaded salad bar and desserts galore

Thanks, guess I didn't look close enough, or I might have read it, and promptly forgot I read it. Getting old, my short-term memory isn't what it use to be.