Finding your way around.

smj777

Having noted on other threads that some people, particularly new cruisers, found themselves having difficulty finding their way around a ship that they hadn't been on before, I thought that I'd pass on a tip.

Before you go, get a P&O brochure. They have full deck plans of each ship in the back. Cut our the pages for your particular ship and take them with you on board. You'll soon get the hang of the layout and shouldn't get lost.

Should you be sailing on the Azura / Ventura a good thing to remember is the 3 main lift shafts ,

Aft-Mid and Fore is that as you exit the lifts ,turn right on exit of the lifts for odd cabin numbers

or turn left for the even cabin numbers .

You would be amazed at how many people walk out of the lifts to the wrong side of ship when heading

back to their cabins .

Think this also works on the Crown Princess as it is same class /design of ship. (and a few others ;) )

When you check in you are given a deck plan with your cards

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are a bit pedantic like me you will find what they give you on board is an "elevation" having Brochure sourced Deck Plans will help you because you can consider your navigational problems from above and the side.

I think they give out elevations to make it easier to understand the Deck 6 Aft Restaurant problem.

Regards John

If you are a bit pedantic like me you will find what they give you on board is an "elevation" having Brochure sourced Deck Plans will help you because you can consider your navigational problems from above and the side.

I think they give out elevations to make it easier to understand the Deck 6 Aft Restaurant problem.

Regards John

I agree, a plan is better than an elevation. A P&O captain once said all the lifts face forward apart from the ones facing aft, very useful :D

Should you be sailing on the Azura / Ventura a good thing to remember is the 3 main lift shafts ,

Aft-Mid and Fore is that as you exit the lifts ,turn right on exit of the lifts for odd cabin numbers

or turn left for the even cabin numbers .

You would be amazed at how many people walk out of the lifts to the wrong side of ship when heading

back to their cabins .

Think this also works on the Crown Princess as it is same class /design of ship. (and a few others ;) )

Then all you have to get right is which way to turn at the corridor depending on which set of lifts you have used. My dear husband nearly always gets it wrong but insists he is right so I let him carry on walking and I go the other way.

Haha I used to turn the wrong way out the lifts all the time but last year it clicked on Azura I turned left every time I exited the lift to find my cabin. Except if we'd come up in the lifts from the atrium - then we had to turn right [emoji4]

Haha I used to turn the wrong way out the lifts all the time but last year it clicked on Azura I turned left every time I exited the lift to find my cabin. Except if we'd come up in the lifts from the atrium - then we had to turn right [emoji4]

Trouble is; the following year, one's partner might have switched to booking starboard instead of port cabins and then re-training is needed.

Lol John

We tend to go on the same ships. You would think I would know where I am going by now...No..Perfect OH always goes the right way to our cabin. I have tried all the tricks I can to avoid going wrong..But non work. One of these days I will tie a piece of elastic to the cabin door, and the other end round me..I will not get lost then..Will. I!!!

Trouble is; the following year, one's partner might have switched to booking starboard instead of port cabins and then re-training is needed.

Lol John

We tend to go on the same ships. You would think I would know where I am going by now...No..Perfect OH always goes the right way to our cabin. I have tried all the tricks I can to avoid going wrong..But non work. One of these days I will tie a piece of elastic to the cabin door, and the other end round me..I will not get lost then..Will. I!!!

You have both made me chuckle :D

Or just go on a ship tour in Southampton if you can. (I know its not easy for everyone but we like to make a weekend of it!).

We did a ship tour of Arcadia before our first ever cruise - on her to the Fjords.

We are going again to see Britannia in April with friends. We are booked on Brittania in Jan 18 and our friends want to try a cruise.

Makes for a great day out.

This thread reminds me of our first cruise - a week on Azura to the fjords. By the end of the week we'd just about cracked it and were chuffed that we managed to find our way round ok, plus had timing down to a T for dining onto the theatre then to the cabaret lounge, getting a seat each time. Then it was time to get off...! Two weeks on Britannia this year so hopefully by the second week, we wont be wandering around quite so aimlessly looking for landmarks. As Florry says, it burns up some extra calories too!

Another problem which can arise is correct cabin identification. I like to be first or last in a run or next to something pretty unique as a waypoint very close to cabin. This makes thing easy. Anyway I am having a shower and I can hear my daughter fumbling with the cruise card and trying to open the door. I am nearly dry and the obvious solution despite being starkers is to just open the door a little bit as I don't want passers by seeing me, so I cower a bit behind the door. In walks some American bearded guy who shouts "Oh my God" and leaves. It made me laugh.

Regards John