Why is a group cruise more expensive than an individual cruise?

I am in no way meaning this with any disrespect but if it were me, I would be asking my Travel Agent.

I agree with you that group travel should be less expensive but there are many variables. Perhaps the price you got from Carnival was based on Early Saver rate and the TA based their price on a different rate because they felt it was better suited to your group.

Please return and give us info on what the TA said. I am sure there is a logical explanation.

They do. But the group rates aren't always the best. We've found them, initially, to be between ES and Past Guest. This is the highest you'll pay.

What kind of group? Are there speakers involved? There can be other add-ins that aren't evident in what you're seeing.

BUT on any one cruise there can be many rates that support a group cruise. We have been able to get lower fares. Last cruise I think our TA said more than half of the available rates would support a group fare.

Both are past guest rates, there is an entertainer, but he is paid seperately.

The rate difference usually pays for the amenitiy points (at least that is the justification on my head;)).

Yes & no. She is offering a $100 per cabin on-board credit, but we always get that when we use her.

So, if you are booking different cabins, it makes sense to book with her, so that every one in your party gets the $100 OBC.

Btw is it $100 more per cabin or for all the cabins?

Edited by Topo Gigio

So, if you are booking different cabins, it makes sense to book with her, so that every one in your party gets the $100 OBC.

Btw is it $100 more per cabin or for all the cabins?

She offers $100 per cabin credits whether it is a group cruise or not. It is $100 more per cabin on the ones we have checked on.

I set up a lot of groups. It could be many factors. First of all why set up a group because sometimes it goes up in price. This locks the rooms for a few months. I have a group right now a $100 cheaper then current pricing so that is the benefit.

You can get a sale price in the group or use the group room pricing. If you get the sale price the shipboard credit not be an option. You get points with a group and that's probably how your getting $100. Sometimes the sale price will say no to amenities. Also, the hardest part is the group starts to talk about everyone paying different prices. I have seen them get upset on the ship. Why did I pay more? It's best to keep everyone on the same pricing.

I would just as the agent. I think your $100 discount will loose the $100 shipboard so it may be a wash.

Is it $100 more pp or $100 more per cabin? I would check with your TA. My TA gives me the same rate as what Carnival is offering, plus your group should get amenity (like OBC) and tour conductor credit. For every 8 cabins you book, one person should sail free (less port charges and tax). Make sure you are getting all that through your TA...

You can also get early saver in a group rate. Some rates you need to buy the amenity, some rates you get the amenity in a group. Your TA should have all that info.

Your TA may be holding "group rate cabins" which some agents who only handle cruises do with some of the major cruise lines. These TAs usually give the line a large volume of business and in return they offer their customers OBC or free dinner or something in return for booking with them. If all the cabins do not sell by the final payment date, the TA "releases" them and then these cabins become available once again to the general public.

As to different rates, it depends on the cabin type (inside/outside), cabin location (deck) and how many it holds (solos pay more, 3-4 passengers would be cheaper than 2 passengers).

There may group parties included, tips, shore excursions, special lectures, speaker's fee, reservation of a private lounge with or without food/drinks, liquor, specialty restaurant meal, etc.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

TA, it's a group cruise, so I had to use her.

Actually, only if you wanted to be in the middle of the group would you have to use her. Me, I would have found out where the group was and then gone on the Carnival website and booked the closest cabin to the group and saved the $100. Plus I would have control of my own booking!

Edited by Out to sea!

Actually, only if you wanted to be in the middle of the group would you have to use her. Me, I would have found out where the group was and then gone on the Carnival website and booked the closest cabin to the group and saved the $100. Plus I would have control of my own booking!

I would assume you then wouldn't have access to the entertainers performances. I would think this would be the reason to book this cruise.