Norwegian Escape - Deck 9 Reviews

Indiana Cruiser 31

Can anyone who has stayed on or around Deck 9 provide me with a review of any issues you had. Will our midship balcony room have any view limitations and also what is the noise like while staying on or around Deck 9? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Edited by Indiana Cruiser 31

Cabins 9890 and 9892 are directly below what they call a "Hotel Closet".

I just returned from staying in 9890 and, for the first time in 20 cruises, asked to have my cabin changed because I couldn't sleep due to overhead noise. Starting around 7pm each night, and continuing until 2-3am, there was loud banging, scraping and door slamming as the crew utilized the closet. The folks next to me in 9892 were miserable, too.

When I got home, I noticed the deck plans for decks 10, 12 and 14 all have similar white areas where the deck 10 Hotel Closet was so it's probably safe to assume that these are closets, too and the cabins underneath them will be very noisy.

Karen

Can anyone who has stayed on or around Deck 9 provide me with a review of any issues you had. Will our midship balcony room have any view limitations and also what is the noise like while staying on or around Deck 9? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

No view limitations.

You will need to look at the deck plans. You are directly above public areas. Some quite. Some with music into the wee hours of the morning.

As much as I might enjoy it, it looks like we are almost directly above The District Brewhouse. I'm assuming that can get pretty noisy at night? I am thinking I may have to see about a room change for the kids' sake...

Unless your kids are out and about past 11pm-12am (the two closing times I've seen since they scaled back from 1am), I'd definitely recommend a room change.

11 is early to close, is that on all cruises now? Do they cater to the crowd and more likely to stay open later on spring break or is closing early a cost saving thing and wouldn't matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their costs are fixed, closing early wouldn't cost them any less. If the bar is full I'm sure they would keep it open. The only reason to close is mandatory crew rest time.

I've never been on the Escape (we are booked for 2017), but the district brew house doesn't sound like a "party" bar to me, if they don't have entertainment then I doubt it stays busy until late in the night.

From my recollection... On our first night the performer was scheduled until 1am. There was such a noise-complaint backlash, that he was only allowed to perform through 11pm the rest of the week. Shortly thereafter, I saw he was scheduled through midnight - possibly a happy medium.

From my recollection... On our first night the performer was scheduled until 1am. There was such a noise-complaint backlash, that he was only allowed to perform through 11pm the rest of the week. Shortly thereafter, I saw he was scheduled through midnight - possibly a happy medium.

Like you, not sure the earlier closing lasted. When I was on Escape earlier this year, I was in a family mini suite right above the 5 O'Clock Somewhere bar. Came back the first night to vibrating floor and a very noisy cabin from the music booming from below which finished at 1 am. Next day found neighbors on either side of me discussing this in the hall and I know one party was heading to the front desk.

I pursued this through Guest Services and a couple of officers got involved. Ended up having a "sleep cabin" for the remainder of the week and then was moved to another deck for the 2nd week.

There was discussion of an 11 pm close but that doesn't seem to be the solution. Other passengers should be able to enjoy the great entertainment way past then. All the way back to Epic and Fat Cats Club on deck 8, there have been noise complaints from cabins right above. Some of the entertainers and staff suggested that they be given those cabins rather than guests. Putting "family" mini suites (with the 2 sinks and bathtub) directly above the loudest club on the ship seems counter-intuitive but that is still the case even on the newest ship.

Apparently the cabins all the way forward on deck 9 on Escape also had registered complaints about the District Brew House. I heard they had tried an early closing but guests were upset and they moved it back.

So I would suggest very carefully looking at cabins when it comes to deck 9, especially on Escape with both District & 5 O'Clock bars affecting overhead cabins.

Someone with a recent Daily could confirm but I think the 11 pm closings only lasted a couple of nights, just not sure how late they are now.

p.s. Your review lives on as a real legend!:)

Edited by snorklin'barb

Any thoughts on 9734-9732-9730? They are Aft, but as far toward the middle as the larger balconies go (just a little deeper it looks like, not wider balconies). We booked three of the slightly larger balcony rooms for a cruise in March. Do you think we'll have a noise problem? Two of us might crash out around 11 p.m. some nights, the other four will be out late or up late reading -- ages 21-80. // If these are noisy are there any other of the slightly larger balcony rooms you would recommend or do we give up that thought and book on another floor?

I was on Escape deck 9 (9212 kinda midship) three weeks ago and it was very quiet.

Directly under my balcony was the lifeboats. It just blocked my view from looking directly down the side of the ship towards the waterline. The distance view was great. It was a guarantee balcony and I loved it.

We have room 9734 booked and I have some questions for anyone who has stayed in that room. This is a large balcony, but what are the pros and cons? Being at the front of the ship, any issues? How about the balcony is it worth it? Are there any obstructions or people looking down on you? I keep going back and forth about changing to a higher room mid ship. Help Please!

We have room 9734 booked and I have some questions for anyone who has stayed in that room. This is a large balcony, but what are the pros and cons? Being at the front of the ship, any issues? How about the balcony is it worth it? Are there any obstructions or people looking down on you? I keep going back and forth about changing to a higher room mid ship. Help Please!

We haven't been yet, but booked this same room and two next to it. There are cabins directly below and above and the one restaurant it is near is Food Republic (sort of a sushi place) so we thought it would be pretty quiet. We usually book midship balcony, but did the small upgrade to this, as we will have an extended family group and want to be able to fit four vs. two people on the balcony, have a little extra room. We will ask about opening up balcony dividers, which would be wonderful. Official policy, though, is not to do this, so we can still get a small group out on one of these and visit if this doesn't happen. From what I can tell the balconies are not wider, but are deeper. We hang out on our balconies a lot, so made the choice to go for this. I have never felt on ships like people above look down on you. The only people you typically can see are those next door. The front of the ship will have a little more motion. We figure, though, that it is the Caribbean vs. a rough open ocean. Also, like you we booked the least aft -- the large balconies closest to the middle. For us, we thought the advantages of a slightly larger balcony are worth it as the regular ones are really pretty small and the deeper balcony will for us make it nicer.

• 7 months later...

How did you find 9734 to be? Noise from below late at night? thanks

We haven't been yet, but booked this same room and two next to it. There are cabins directly below and above and the one restaurant it is near is Food Republic (sort of a sushi place) so we thought it would be pretty quiet. We usually book midship balcony, but did the small upgrade to this, as we will have an extended family group and want to be able to fit four vs. two people on the balcony, have a little extra room. We will ask about opening up balcony dividers, which would be wonderful. Official policy, though, is not to do this, so we can still get a small group out on one of these and visit if this doesn't happen. From what I can tell the balconies are not wider, but are deeper. We hang out on our balconies a lot, so made the choice to go for this. I have never felt on ships like people above look down on you. The only people you typically can see are those next door. The front of the ship will have a little more motion. We figure, though, that it is the Caribbean vs. a rough open ocean. Also, like you we booked the least aft -- the large balconies closest to the middle. For us, we thought the advantages of a slightly larger balcony are worth it as the regular ones are really pretty small and the deeper balcony will for us make it nicer.

How did you find 9734 ? Was it noisy? looks like a slightly larger balcony?

How did you find 9734 to be? Noise from below late at night? thanks

We were in 9734 last year. There are a few photos in my review starting with post #107 (link in signature).

There were no noise issues and the balcony was definitely bigger (deeper). I probably wouldn't get those type of balconies again though. I didn't like standing at the railing and looking down into the balcony below us while everyone above us could do the same and look into our balcony.

Next year I plan to stay on deck 11 or higher on the Escape or Bliss.

We were in 9734 last year. There are a few photos in my review starting with post #107 (link in signature).

There were no noise issues and the balcony was definitely bigger (deeper). I probably wouldn't get those type of balconies again though. I didn't like standing at the railing and looking down into the balcony below us while everyone above us could do the same and look into our balcony.

Next year I plan to stay on deck 11 or higher on the Escape or Bliss.

Do you mind me asking why move up to deck 11? Is it just that desk 9 is so over looked?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Do you mind me asking why move up to deck 11? Is it just that desk 9 is so over looked?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Great question that I would appreciate an answer to as well! We are booked in 9720 for our July sailing. It will be our first time booking a larger balcony and wondering what it will be like.

Great question that I would appreciate an answer to as well! We are booked in 9720 for our July sailing. It will be our first time booking a larger balcony and wondering what it will be like.

Yeah, just personal preference. The larger balcony is nice but we just didn't love standing at the railing and having the people right above us breathing on our necks (while we did the same to the people below us).

cb031755faadee41ab711e258833e620.jpg

I was on Escape deck 9 (9212 kinda midship) three weeks ago and it was very quiet.

Directly under my balcony was the lifeboats. It just blocked my view from looking directly down the side of the ship towards the waterline. The distance view was great. It was a guarantee balcony and I loved it.

Glad to hear this! We are in 9214 and 9216 in February.

• 1 year later...

This is an old post but I'd like to tell my experience.We stayed in room 9218 on the Cruise to Bermuda.Absolutely terrible.Stay away from that room or any close.Absolutely ruined our vacation.The banging,clanking,slamming went on from 10 PM to 5 am, every night.We complained a couple times.For the record we never complain but it was unbearable.To Norwegians credit though they compensated us nicely.Still though I would have preferred some sleep.

• 11 months later...
On 9/23/2016 at 8:55 PM, KarenRB said:

I just returned from staying in 9890 and, for the first time in 20 cruises, asked to have my cabin changed because I couldn't sleep due to overhead noise

When you requested a new room, did they charge or give you a hard time?

On 9/23/2016 at 1:00 PM, Indiana Cruiser 31 said:

Been in 9180 and 9182. Not a problem, even though those cabins are above the brew house entrance.