Noisy on Balcony!

Trumpster

Loud people i can handle. And people who break rules that done effect me i can ignore. The worst for me are people who try to police the ship, and feel superior to others.

Lets all be honest, loud neighbors suck... but not if you start joining the conversations, they either start including you, or get the point and stop.

When someone starts being an entitled you know what, i just move on, no need to be an entitled you know what if theyre really a problem, say something to them, be an adult.

Not sure about the OP, not being there it may have been an out of control group, or the OP may be sensative, either way, do what makes you happy, and if you cant handle the way people act in public, stay out of public

Trust me I'm not sure about the OP either, but we never actually complained to GS, we only had the one interaction I explained. Dw was more annoyed about the music practice and harmonizing, if we wanted to hear music we would go where music was being played.

I've heard a couple arguing so much they finally decided to get a divorce. They bickered the entire time. And she cried and sobbed. Not enjoyable to hear all that, worse for them I guess.

Lol, as soon as I heard the divorce comment, I would have yelled "Thank god, it's about time!" [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Noise like the OP described would be so annoying and frustrating. The cackling laugh (why do women do that when they are in groups? On a cruise, in a restaurant, etc.) and especially the ukelele, oh my goodness! Would not confront them though, but would complain to guest services and complain each time until it stopped. I don't know why some people won't be considerate to their cruising balcony neighbors. We try to be as quiet as possible on our balcony, speaking to each other softly, picking up the chairs if we need to move them instead of dragging them, not playing music, and closing the door quietly. And we appreciate when we have nice quiet neighbors too. Have only had loud neighbors once that I remember, and it was always in the morning. Loud talking and coughing. But that was the only time they were on their balcony and we actually found it funny.

Noise like the OP described would be so annoying and frustrating. The cackling laugh (why do women do that when they are in groups? On a cruise, in a restaurant, etc.) and especially the ukelele, oh my goodness! Would not confront them though, but would complain to guest services and complain each time until it stopped. I don't know why some people won't be considerate to their cruising balcony neighbors. We try to be as quiet as possible on our balcony, speaking to each other softly, picking up the chairs if we need to move them instead of dragging them, not playing music, and closing the door quietly. And we appreciate when we have nice quiet neighbors too. Have only had loud neighbors once that I remember, and it was always in the morning. Loud talking and coughing. But that was the only time they were on their balcony and we actually found it funny.

Everyone's sensitivity level is different. To me, talking and coughing, laughing and closing a door isn't grounds to call guest services and people should just continue to what they will do. If it's a normal activity on vacation it's probably just you.

Why mention the nationality of the noisy group. Thoughtlessness crosses all cultural and ethnic divisions.

It was a fact. The writer was writing a factual account of the event. Your comment is irrelevant.

Ok. Enough about them being Canadian. Trumpster clearly explained his mentioning was no offense to Canadians and just because he had to hear it over and over and over. They could have been from New York, Mexico, or Massachusetts (I wouldn't have been offended). The point was that they were loud and he had to hear every, last, detail. So everyone from New York, Massachusetts, Ohio, and yes Canada - be considerate of your balcony neighbors!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by E&B

PLEASE, let's get over this Canadian thing. The OP was just relating what was heard.

That being said: Does anyone know the origin of the Carnival "C" on the funnel?

Ted Arrison modified it in shape / color to save money, and it remains to this day.

Anyone, anyone?

Not sure about the OP, not being there it may have been an out of control group, or the OP may be sensative, either way, do what makes you happy, and if you cant handle the way people act in public, stay out of public

Yup, that pretty much sounds like the no need to be considerate of others attitude. :rolleyes:

Everyone's sensitivity level is different. To me, talking and coughing, laughing and closing a door isn't grounds to call guest services and people should just continue to what they will do. If it's a normal activity on vacation it's probably just you.

I said the noise like the OP experienced would be gounds to call guest services, especially the ukelele.

And I said the only time we had noisy neighbors we actually found it funny.

"Probably just me?" Odd you would say that.

But as you said, everyone's sensitivity level is different. Just because someone doesn't appreciate noisy neighbors doesn't make their opinion wrong. If everyone would be considerate of their neighbors and not be overly loud, play music, cackle instead of normally laughing, etc. there would be far less complaints I'm sure.

What we thoroughly disliked about the Dream (same category) was how our

7th floor BALCONY was horrible compared to other ships.

Looking out to view the sticking out DECK with never-ending walking and running traffic flow..... vs. simply the open ocean and sky. Yuck.

Added to that, also on that "stuck out deck", raised Jacuzzis full of heavy drinking clowns wooping it up until after 10:30 each night.

As balcony lovers, will never do that group of ships again !

Oh no! We have a suite on the dream on 7 starboard forward. I hope its not that bad.

I believe many people today have very little consideration for other people's personal space. I tried to raise my children that in public our conversations do not need to be heard by those we are not speaking to. Whether we are fighting or laughing and having a good time, unless it is in a place where others would be expecting to join in, we try to keep our conversations respectful of other people.

Thankfully we have never had any major problems from other cruisers on our balcony. Oh by the way a proud Canadian here.

PLEASE, let's get over this Canadian thing. The OP was just relating what was heard.

That being said: Does anyone know the origin of the Carnival "C" on the funnel?

Ted Arrison modified it in shape / color to save money, and it remains to this day.

Anyone, anyone?

The 1st Carnival ship, the Mardi Gras, was formerly the Empress Of Canada an was owned by Canada Pacific. The green/white/black "C" logo on the Empress funnel was repainted to the Carnival red, white and blue and pretty much retained the same look.

I am a Canadian and from Ontario as well. I wasn't offended by the OP. Loud people of any nationality can be had. We had neighbours once who brought loudspeakers on board just so that their music could really be heard and the movies they wanted to watch would be loud enough for them to hear. I finally asked them that the movie sounded interesting could they move the computer a little so that I could see the screen. They turned it off. Now this was after we had listened to them for several days and had politely asked them to turn things down a little. I figured if you can't beat them, join them. I never did see the end of the movie.

tigercat

I am a Canadian and from Ontario as well. I wasn't offended by the OP. Loud people of any nationality can be had. We had neighbours once who brought loudspeakers on board just so that their music could really be heard and the movies they wanted to watch would be loud enough for them to hear. I finally asked them that the movie sounded interesting could they move the computer a little so that I could see the screen. They turned it off. Now this was after we had listened to them for several days and had politely asked them to turn things down a little. I figured if you can't beat them, join them. I never did see the end of the movie.

tigercat

Well said. Thank you for being the adult in the room. :)

tigercat

That is exactly the kind of inconsiderate neighbor that I would have no problem complaining about to guest services. I wouldn't want to confront the neighbor for fear of retaliation. I don't get why some people think it's perfectly fine to blast their movies or music and not care that they are bothering others. So inconsiderate and rude. That's what earbuds/headphones are for.

We just finished a fantastic family cruise on Magic. Only two events were issues, one was the last night when a pair of 20 something's couples decide the thalassotherapy pool was a hot tube. Even had glass glasses and colorful tropical drinks in the pool. I can imagine if they had broken one in the pool. We ratted them out. ;) as we left.

But the real issues was our noisy balcony neighbors.

4 women on a girls cruise, mom and daughters, all middle age and up (hey I'm trying to make this as non offensive as possible) all from Canada (again no offense- but since I was part of their conversations I know more than I want to about them.) who always made noise.

They never just talked, they all seemed to yell from the start and then had to yell louder to be heard. Cackling laughter - loud cackling, always slamming the door(s) - they had their balcony divider opened. Moving chairs.

It was literally like listening to a Canadian version of The View tv show.

One was planning to shave her legs on the balcony...great but I don't need to know what pattern you have somewhere else. :eek:

I finally confronted them when one whipped out a ukulele (she clearly as taking lessons) and they decided to harmonize hippie songs like they were some of Charles Manson's lost girls. Ugh!

I simply said you guy's are loud and I can hear you in my cabin, they apologized but they were still noisy the rest of the trip.

The next time the ukulele came out I propped open my balcony door and turned up the kids movie on the TV full blast.

Didn't enjoy our balcony as much as we did the last cruise.

At least smokers don't puff away all the time like the noise pollution i had to listen to.

Still a great cruise and fortunately they were not early rises. Which allowed me to both enjoy my balcony for sun rises and to bang their walls as we left. ;)

Heald would say you are a Carnival disliker with the above comments.

Setting aside the more pertinent safety and health issued, I'm fascinated by the argument that smoking on balconies negatively impacted the enjoyment of others, most due to the "stink" factor.

And yet, here we have complaints about "noisy" neighbors negatively impacting the enjoyment of others. Rude? Yes. Against the rules? No.

Perhaps there needs to be a sign on each balcony (and perhaps in each cabin) that says complete silence is expected at all times to ensure the enjoyment of all guests. This way there can be no complaints about the volume or subject matter of the conversations that take place.

I have had balcony neighbors that have spoken in a reasonable volume and on innocuous topics that impacted my enjoyment because I was trying to nap. I didn't run down to Guest Services to complain... I just went inside.

Persistent and unreasonable behavior can certainly give rise to a justifiable complaint. Off-color discussions about "girl shaving" and laughter doesn't qualify.

Edited by StolidCruiser

Persistent and unreasonable behavior can certainly give rise to a justifiable complaint. Off-color discussions about "girl shaving" and laughter doesn't qualify.

Would politics?

Setting aside the more pertinent safety and health issued, I'm fascinated by the argument that smoking on balconies negatively impacted the enjoyment of others, most due to the "stink" factor.

And yet, here we have complaints about "noisy" neighbors negatively impacting the enjoyment of others. Rude? Yes. Against the rules? No.

Perhaps there needs to be a sign on each balcony (and perhaps in each cabin) that says complete silence is expected at all times to ensure the enjoyment of all guests. This way there can be no complaints about the volume or subject matter of the conversations that take place.

I have had balcony neighbors that have spoken in a reasonable volume and on innocuous topics that impacted my enjoyment because I was trying to nap. I didn't run down to Guest Services to complain... I just went inside.

How long and loud before the discussions qualify?

Would not confront them though, but would complain to guest services and complain each time until it stopped.

I try to be respectful of people around me, but if I was getting to loud for you, I would appreciate if you said something to me instead of running to guest services. Just say "hey, you guys were kind of loud last night any chance you could keep it down at night? We'd really appreciate it." For me...id be much more aware of my noise level and try to respect your wishes.

If you were at work and one of your co workers was doing something wrong or something that was bothering you, would you go talk to that coworker or go complain to his/her boss? I'd hope you wouldn't run crying to the boss. That looks bad on you and would really piss that coworker off.

Looking out to view the sticking out DECK with never-ending walking and running traffic flow..... vs. simply the open ocean and sky. Yuck.

Added to that, also on that "stuck out deck", raised Jacuzzis full of heavy drinking clowns wooping it up until after 10:30 each night.

oh wow! glad i switched to cove! thanks for that info!

You should try a cove. Nothing but water.... It's awesome.

We did a b2b on the Breeze first of April. The 8 day didn't hear either neighbor at all. The 6 day they were both noisy, but not to the point of complaining. It was amazing the vibe of the guests comparing both cruises. First was wonderful, second group was loud, rude, annoying. I missed the 4/9 group. :D

I try to be respectful of people around me, but if I was getting to loud for you, I would appreciate if you said something to me instead of running to guest services. Just say "hey, you guys were kind of loud last night any chance you could keep it down at night? We'd really appreciate it." For me...id be much more aware of my noise level and try to respect your wishes.

If you were at work and one of your co workers was doing something wrong or something that was bothering you, would you go talk to that coworker or go complain to his/her boss? I'd hope you wouldn't run crying to the boss. That looks bad on you and would really piss that coworker off.

I have to say that in my real life I am the same way, especially with co-workers, etc. However, on a ship you have no idea how some people will react. Without knowing the person in the next cabin, I am not sure I would feel comfortable telling them they were too loud. What if that only pissed them off and then they got louder. Then you have to make the GS call and they know exactly who called. If you make the call without talking to them first, then they have no idea who complained.

In a world where honking your horn can result in a gun being waved at you, I think I would take the safe route on a cruise by calling GS.

Nope, I'm not going to confront a cruise balcony neighbor who is a stranger to me. You never know how someone is going to react, and maybe do worse just to get back at the person who asked them to turn their music down. Guest services can handle it.

Yes, I would speak to a co-worker as I would know that person. They aren't a stranger to me as a neighbor on a cruise ship would be. Not the same thing at all, apples to oranges.