Carnival Ocho Rios excursions with 4 year old

Hello everyone. My wife and 4 year old will be on the Splendor visiting Ocho Rios. As you know a ton of the excursions involve the falls. We want to go on the Jeep Safari and Falls excursion and we are wondering:

1. Is there an age limit for the Jeep ride also or is it just for the falls?

2. Can we go to the falls and just walk up the path beside it and get in the pools when the mood strikes ( with our son)?

Thanks!

When we were booking excursions with our kids, the Carnival website was pretty good about listing age or height restrictions. We found that there was little in Jamaica that our then 4 yo was tall enough or old enough for. Part of why we choose to get day passes at a resort (that and we wanted a beach day).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've done the falls before and wouldn't dream of taking my 5 y/o around or in the water...it's really slippery and dangerous for a small child. You could walk up the steps/viewing area, but that seems like a waste of $$$ to go there and not participate. I stuck to the port and beach when I went to Falmouth with my son.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with JinxyB. In Dec 2014 we went with a family group to both the Blue Hole and Dunns Falls with my then 2 year old.

We had 8 people climb the falls and I carried my son up most of it, but he enjoyed stopping and swimming in the holes, and he rode down the "water slide" on my lap. We had a great private guide for just our group. At the main area where they assemble tours I asked about a private guide. They told me no, so I just kept walking down towards the beach. On the way I saw a guide and asked him, "no problem mon!"

I wouldn't hesitate to take him again now, at age 3, and certainly would take him at 4. We also had our 9 year old daughter who did great and really enjoyed the climb.

Just FYI - Dunns is one of those places that you'll get a lot of differing opinions on. Some think it's a death trap just waiting to cause broken arms and cracked skulls, others will say the climb isn't bad at all and they felt very comfortable/safe. I fall into the latter camp. Our group was people ranging from age 2 to 66, and everyone had a great time. Obviously a lot depends on your comfort level and your own athletic ability climb with your kids. The good news is there are plenty of places to bail out on the way up.

Good luck deciding! Contrary to many Ocho Rios is one of our favorite ports.

There is a path along the banks of the falls with plenty of spots to enter and exit. Lots of opinions, but it's your comfort level that is important. In my one visit there, I saw two adults hold each hand of a 2/3 year old without any problem all the way up. I also saw a 20-something sprain her ankle, and a 60+ hilariously wipe out and get helped up all grins. Just do it! If it looks too difficult, walk up the path and just enter for a swim at the pools.

Have you looked at the Ports of Call forum and considered a private tour? They are much more accommodating with age range, usually far more cost effective, and you can cater your day like you wish.

We were late into Ocho Rios in December and it took forever to get out of the port. Luckily, we had a private excursion planned, and so I was able to modify what we were doing so we would not feel rushed. Also, it was nice to have the personal service because a private driver will serve as a "body guard;" some of the locals are VERY pushy - wanting you to pay them money for taking a photo of some rocks for example. I was much more comfortable than if I had been with a larger group.

Be warned - this port is NOT run well - people were lined up all the way down the side walk past the shopping booths to board yet others, coming from the other direction were allowed to enter without regard for the line waiting to get cleared.

Don't get me wrong - this is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean with some fantastic people. It's just there are some that are not, and it frustrating.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Hello everyone. My wife and 4 year old will be on the Splendor visiting Ocho Rios. As you know a ton of the excursions involve the falls. We want to go on the Jeep Safari and Falls excursion and we are wondering:

1. Is there an age limit for the Jeep ride also or is it just for the falls?

2. Can we go to the falls and just walk up the path beside it and get in the pools when the mood strikes ( with our son)?

Thanks!

We did Falls but we used stairs . No problem at all. You can do it with 4 years old .plus Falls start from the beach so if anything ,you just stay there.