Credit cards in Tallinn?

pompeii

Are credit cards widely accepted in Tallinn? Particularly by the street vendors? We are getting ready to leave on our Baltics/TA and trying to figure out the money part......ie, how much cash will I need at each place....? I'm hoping to use cc in most ports, but I don't know about the street vendors. I know I'll want to shop at the wool wall in Tallinn. In case I don't have enough and they don't accept cc, are ATMs easy to find in Tallinn?

Are credit cards widely accepted in Tallinn? Particularly by the street vendors? We are getting ready to leave on our Baltics/TA and trying to figure out the money part......ie, how much cash will I need at each place....? I'm hoping to use cc in most ports, but I don't know about the street vendors. I know I'll want to shop at the wool wall in Tallinn. In case I don't have enough and they don't accept cc, are ATMs easy to find in Tallinn?

I bought two pairs of fleece-lined booties for my granddaughter at a vendor at the Wool Wall and used my credit card. I doubt I lucked out and found the only vendor at the Wool Wall who accepted credit cards!

Some of the street vendors might take a CC, but then there ARE others who will not. Just because one does, doesn't mean they all will. It's better to have some cash, euros, to buy things if vendors do not take CC..

Ourselves, we didn't buy woolens, but instead bought a wonderful tapered candle and we had to pay in cash.

Cheers

Len

Yep, all depends on the place. ATM'S are easy to find in all the ports. If you find something you must have, just find the ATM if they don't take a charge. Everyone is helpful.

Btw, You can use the euro in Helsinki too. In fact some stores offered pricing in euro in Copenhagen and St. P. too.

I figured out which cities we were planning on using cabs or public transportation on arrival and bought minimal amounts here so we wouldn't have to worry right away. But did use the atms a couple times. We ended up coming home with only 12.00$ of Norwegian kroner notes and maybe 5.00$ worth of various country's coins. Not bad.

Edited by eandj

I got Euros from the ship(using my dollars) and was able to use them in Tallinn, Germany and Helsinki. I mainly used a credit card(chip and signature). Some places took credit cards but a few street vendors required cash. Tallin was one of the less expensive places we visited. Not sure how many true bargains there were, but compared to other countries, it was less expensive. I actually never used an ATM. I took some Danish Kroners with me before I left as well as some American dollars(we are Americans)as we were staying in Copenhagen for 3 days.

I did have to use coins once to use a bathroom in the sculpture park in Oslo.

Rest of the time used bathrooms in museums and restaurants/cafes for free.

I liked to have some of the currency of the country with me just in case I needed it.--SOme places would take dollars or euros but never had to try that out.

Does anyone know if the Sweater Wall vendors take credit cards?

Sue

Most of the vendors we are speaking of ARE the sweater wall vendors. With that in mind, reread the thread and you'll have your answer.

Cheers

Len

I bought items from 2 different vendors on the sweater wall. The first had a sign that said MC/Visa and when I asked she told me cash only, the 2nd didn't have a sign and took my card. I saw several signs up at the different vendors but didn't ask at any others. I know there was a ATM near the McDonalds because I asked just in case I needed money.

• 1 month later...
Do you remember the price range of the sweaters. It helps me to be a little prepared ahead.

The sweater vest I bought for DD was 20 Euros. DH bought one and I think it was about 60-ish Euros. I also bought 2 scarfs for 9 Euros a piece.

I loved, loved Tallinn. It might have been our favorite port. :)

Just a note on using your credit card in Tallinn (or elsewhere, in fact) if you're from the US - call your credit card company ahead of time and let them know your travel plans. We had one experience when they put a fraud alert on our card - and that was when we were in Miami before a cruise.:eek:

Just a note on using your credit card in Tallinn (or elsewhere, in fact) if you're from the US - call your credit card company ahead of time and let them know your travel plans. We had one experience when they put a fraud alert on our card - and that was when we were in Miami before a cruise.:eek:

Excellent advice from a fellow NYer. Credit Card companies are always on the lookout for fraud and if they see several charges made in foreign countries, might, very well, throw up a red flag. Tell the card company of your travels, where you will be and when. You don't have to be specific on exact dates, just countries and approximate time frame. It could very well, save you a lot of grief.

Cheers

Len

Ya my cc company is steller at that. I got a fraud call.......6 months after my daughter came home from Japan. And, after we already paid the bill. Go mastercard!!! And yes, we did tell them she was going.

Edited by sprint180

Hi! We’ve bought 2 pairs of socks and a scarf from the same vendor on the sweater wall. Altogether it was 10 euro and we had to pay in cash. We also bought a few things in one of the souvenir shops and used a credit card. By the way they refused to accept American Express. The same was in many other places including St. Peter, Russia. Visa or Master card were OK, but not American Express.

Jess :)

Does anyone know if the Sweater Wall vendors take credit cards?

Why should they and why would you want to risk that :confused:

Change some $$'s on the ship for Euros...better to bargain with ;)