New Sign & Sail card delivery system??

John F

Yes, complete agreement. I only use a debit card to access cash, at my bank, if I can't physically deal with a teller. Since I use a CC for basically everything though even that is becoming increasingly rare. Fraud / Theft is pretty rampant and just don't want to risk my own money and hassle. I've had one CC replaced for fraud 4X in a year, and it was the CC company that caught it before even I did. I cringe when people say things like "I used debit and didn't have a problem". That's like a minority position these days:eek: Unfortunate

Agree on all points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First of all, I believe you're more at risk of CC theft if you give your card to a waiter at a restaurant and they take it away a few moments than through your S&S card in a sealed envelope where you can obviously assess tampering, on a ship with employees and other vacationers who have already paid for a cruise vacation and know they will be captive aboard the vessel (is stealing my card for drinks really worth the chance you spend your vacation in the brig when they easily track it to you on such small quarters?).

I still didn't like this idea when I first heard of it. Mainly because I was thinking, "What if I want to buy something and I don't have FTTF to get my room right away?" (we usually get FTTF, but what if we didn't...) And also "What about my Cheers! being activated?" But then people pointed out we could buy things with the folio number and a poster who had Cheers! said it worked with her boarding pass. Good deal. No worries. I'm not keen on carrying around a boarding pass really (I wear my card on a lanyard if my husband isn't carrying it for me) but I can manage for a few hours if needed and wear something with pockets for that one morning/afternoon of boarding.

If Carnival were the first to do this, I may be more worried, but with more investigation, it's been done before.

So perhaps it will make things faster and CERTAINLY it will help with all the rulebreakers who just go to "put something down" in the cabin they should not be accessing yet and thus interrupt the cleaning process the stewards had planned for. (I understand the desire to put your carry-on down, I do, but that's why we usually get FTTF because we have a strong desire to do that and we understand the rules. If not, the option is there to get on later or carry less with you.) I always think (and have noticed with people) that when people start their vacation (or anything) by breaking a rule, they begin to respect rules less in general for the duration of their time in that place or the event, so if this helps Carnival enforce that rule, I'm all for it.

You do realize that check-in time does not equal boarding time, correct?

Yes I do realize. I've been able to board about 30 minutes after I check in for the last 15 cruises, so I'm hoping this change doesn't change that. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please check with someone that has experienced this...

Most of the reviews about passengers that just got off the ship are NOT pleasant - there are a few (with priority boarding, fttf, platinum, suites, etc) that had no problem. I have yet to find a "regular joe" that had anything positive to say about the process - I know its new, but wow...

Heading out in two weeks - not super comfortable with this.

Where are the responses from people who experienced it? The only one I've seen was in this thread, and she had no issues.

I've seen a lot of complaints, but not from people who experienced it. I dug deeper into Royal where they've done something like it for awhile on at least some ships and saw mixed reviews but most people being fine with it in later ones. If there are reviews of the Splendor process so far, I'd like to read more reviews, if you have, as I'm curious.

i am a little confused on how its a Credit card security risk. Your card info is not on it. The magnetic strip has a code to open your room and your portfolio embedded in it so they can scan it if needed to see your picture and such when entering and leaving the ship. Everything else is in Carnivals computer system not on the card. So for someone to get your card info they would have to have access to carnivals computer system and if that is the case they sure don't need the card for that. (I got this info from a IT guy that my cruise directed got me in touch with at Carnival on our first ever cruise and I was concerned at the time, as I am a computer geek myself) not to say it hasn't changed over the past years though. those with the concerns please tell me as you must know something other than this to be so concerned.

Charges are not processed till the end of the cruise so you are not out money unless carnival refuses to work with you if your card is stolen from the outside of your room.

i do understand the concern with someone entering your room before you get there. That is my only concern however the only thing to steal is if you had Carnival deliver something because your suitcases are in the Hall anyway and if someone wants something they could just take your suitcase instead if it is delivered already.

Nobody likes changes but it is in inevitable in life so you have to learn to not let it stress you out so much

Ouch!!

While all that is true, why fix it if it isn't broken ?

Why is everything a pain for an employee to do the job they are told to do? How is it a pain?

Why can't a person go put money on their account? You go to desk, and say hey, I want to put money on my account, and they look it up and do so.

Getting a drink. Your boarding pass has the same info as the card. Just present the boarding pass to get you first drink.

You don't need the card for any of these items.

How many times on a ship, do you see an employee "write down" you folio number when you buy something. Did you need the card? Not really.

:D

Yes I do realize. I've been able to board about 30 minutes after I check in for the last 15 cruises, so I'm hoping this change doesn't change that. [emoji4]

All depends that time you get there......

Sent from my iPhone

i am a little confused on how its a Credit card security risk.

As you pointed out there is ZERO credit/debit card security risk.

People have the same problem understanding the magic bands used by Disney, thinking that their admission is actually loaded on the band itself.

I don't see the new(old?) system as a problem. It is the way some cruise lines handled distributing the cards (they were paper then) in the past.

I suspect the reason for this new system is to stop all of the people who are not diamond, plat, suite or FTTF and think the rules don't apply to them from going straight to their cabins and getting in the way of and slowing down the crew who are trying to turn over the cabins.

I suspect the reason for this new system is to stop all of the people who are not diamond, plat, suite or FTTF and think the rules don't apply to them from going straight to their cabins and getting in the way of and slowing down the crew who are trying to turn over the cabins.

EXACTLY!! [emoji4]

I may be missing something, but how will this stop people from going straight to their cabins. I would think this would give them one more reason to go to their cabin early so that they could get their cards.

I may be missing something, but how will this stop people from going straight to their cabins. I would think this would give them one more reason to go to their cabin early so that they could get their cards.

I'm guessing that if their cards aren't in their mailbox until their cabins are ready after 1-1:30PM, then they can't enter them.

Sorry I don't know if anyone posted an answer to this yet. As I understand it, your S&S card will be in your mailbox when you board. If you would like to purchase anything on the ship before you go to your stateroom, you will be able to by giving your last name and stateroom number.

I don't think I'm going to attached a credit card to my account before I receive my S&S card.

Where are the responses from people who experienced it? The only one I've seen was in this thread, and she had no issues.

I've seen a lot of complaints, but not from people who experienced it. I dug deeper into Royal where they've done something like it for awhile on at least some ships and saw mixed reviews but most people being fine with it in later ones. If there are reviews of the Splendor process so far, I'd like to read more reviews, if you have, as I'm curious.

I was on the 10/8 sailing. It was odd, but nothing to be worried about from a fraud standpoint.

At check-in they scanned our passports, and that is the photo that was used. Anytime a charge was attempted... with or without the card, my photo popped up. That is where the fraud would end.

There was only one drawback for us. We were on relatively early, we could purchase individual drinks/soda but could not buy the soda package, until we had the card. Other than that... it was no big deal. It was certainly different, but not necessarily bad.

It sounds interesting to say the least. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. If it turns out it is, they will evaluate it and go from there. Remember this is a test of the process. It is not a full implementation of it. No need to go into panic mode.

Good point. I want the card in hand. if I go to the room at 1:30PM, or later if I am having lunch, etc., and the card is missing for whatever reason I've got to wait in a long line at GS.

I'm guessing that if their cards aren't in their mailbox until their cabins are ready after 1-1:30PM, then they can't enter them.

I strongly doubt they are going to wait until those times to distribute cards. They will put the cards in the mail slot as they flip each room, I would think, to save time.

Like I said, in theory this all works fine until a card goes missing and then you have a line to wait on to replace it.

We just got off Splendor yesterday and had no issues with the new process. Because we had completed online check-in, we were able to walk straight from security to the ship (they had already called our boarding zone). We didn't even have to go to the check-in desk.

My mother-in-law had not done her online check-in so they sent her to the desk once we got upstairs, but she walked right up with no wait.

Getting through the terminal and onboard was much easier and the terminal was EMPTY - no mass of people waiting at the desks.

Once onboard we had time for one drink before our rooms were ready, and the bartender used our boarding pass to look up our information. My photo popped up and the bartender confirmed that it was me before making the purchase.

I was interested to see how bad the lines were at Guest Services, but I honestly didn't see any difference from any other embarkation day.

To me, this definitely seems like a way to improve your check-in experience and I think it worked. It was so nice to be able to get upstairs and walk straight to the ship!

We just got off Splendor yesterday and had no issues with the new process. Because we had completed online check-in, we were able to walk straight from security to the ship (they had already called our boarding zone). We didn't even have to go to the check-in desk.

My mother-in-law had not done her online check-in so they sent her to the desk once we got upstairs, but she walked right up with no wait.

Getting through the terminal and onboard was much easier and the terminal was EMPTY - no mass of people waiting at the desks.

Once onboard we had time for one drink before our rooms were ready, and the bartender used our boarding pass to look up our information. My photo popped up and the bartender confirmed that it was me before making the purchase.

I was interested to see how bad the lines were at Guest Services, but I honestly didn't see any difference from any other embarkation day.

To me, this definitely seems like a way to improve your check-in experience and I think it worked. It was so nice to be able to get upstairs and walk straight to the ship!

Ok, so if you do the online check in you walk right on the ship instead of going to the desk. How do they get your photos? I have a passport, did they change something in the online checkin? I did mine a while ago but there was no uploading of a photo. My husband doesn't have a passport so... humm.

Also, what time did you get on the ship and when we're your cards in your mailbox?

Ok, so if you do the online check in you walk right on the ship instead of going to the desk. How do they get your photos? I have a passport, did they change something in the online checkin? I did mine a while ago but there was no uploading of a photo. My husband doesn't have a passport so... humm.

Also, what time did you get on the ship and when we're your cards in your mailbox?

They scanned my passport at the TSA-type check before security, and my passport photo was my photo for the rest of the cruise. My daughter was traveling with her birth certificate, and they took her photo at the gangway.

We arrived at the terminal around 12:30 and, if we had not had to wait for my mother-in-law, we would have been onboard by 12:45. They made an announcement when rooms were ready at 1:30, and when we got there the keys were in the mailbox.

Are the rooms for Diamond, Platinum, FTTF and Suites ready first as before? Our check in time is 10-10:30, our boarding zone has be 1 for a very long time, does this mean our rooms will be ready for us as before or not until 1:30? Normally we're able to drop off our things in the room within a 45 minutes to a hour of checking in. If not we'll be carrying on a lot less and check an extra bag. I think it will harder than people think to actually use someone else's sign n sail. If it was that easy, think of all the sign n sail cards that have been lost. The only reason GS deactivates the card is because it's used to open your cabin door. As foodie1109 stated your photo pops up as it has in the past and the photo is verified before the charge is completed. As far as getting your CC info, I don't understand how that could be done. If I were worried about security of my info, I'd be more worried about checking in on line or handing my CC over at the check in. Those people would have direct access to all the info needed to make fraudulent charges to you card, and in 25 plus cruises I've never had a CC breached. IMHO.