Seabourn Sojourn Alaska Cruise - Recommendations for Ventures by Seabourn

Memory01

This August, we will be doing our first ever Seabourn cruise and are eager to experience the Seabourn difference.

One (of many) reasons for booking Seabourn was "Ventures by Seabourn". Does anybody have experience or otherwise recommendations for the 14-day Alaska tour? Which of the locations are best experienced by Zodiac/Kayak or is any other of the excursions very memorable?

I searched for a similar topic, but didn't find anything specifically for that regions excursions, so I hope it is okay to open a new topic on this one.

Thanks!

As Galeforce9 says, this is the first season for Seabourn in Alaska involving the Ventures programme so I can't comment specifically on that destination. However I went to Antarctica with Seabourn and experienced their zodiac tours there - it was absolutely brilliant! Anywhere where you can glide through ice, get closer to the scenery and wildlife, i am sure you won't be disappointed.

so ... from other experiences ... I'm curious how wet you would get in a zodiac tour of a glacier? I read all the stuff that says you will likely get wet and wear water proof pants, etc - but is that really necessary? just trying to pack appropriately for an Alaska cruise on Seabourn in June.

so ... from other experiences ... I'm curious how wet you would get in a zodiac tour of a glacier? I read all the stuff that says you will likely get wet and wear water proof pants, etc - but is that really necessary? just trying to pack appropriately for an Alaska cruise on Seabourn in June.

I would take waterproof pants and parka. The zodiac rides are generally comfortable (and safe) but there can be some sea spray as you move along. The last thing you want to be is cold and wet!

We were very fortunate on our recent Holiday Antarctica cruise to have John Fonseca with us as one of our Expedition team members. John has spent many years in Alaska and work with John Delaney for two years to develop many of the excursions for Seabourn's return to Alaska . We had numerous discussions with him about what we could expect from Seabourn Alaska. He even held a few small discussions in the card room to inform those of us booked on upcoming Alaska cruises describing the different locations and detailing what we were likely to encounter in each. As I result of that I have been able to discern which zodiac tours will appeal to me most during our upcoming July cruise.

And a quick note about zodiac rides to anyone who has never been in one. Many of our fellow Antarctica passengers clearly had never ridden in a zodiac and frankly should not have attempted these excursions. In the first place getting into a zodiac when the water is the least bit choppy is a bit of challenge. Seabourn does offer assistance getting in and out and provides instructions on the safe way to get on and off as well as how to move around in one and and what do do when it is underway. Unfortunately I observed too many people with balance issues or other physical impairments that should have made them think twice about going on theses tours. They were a danger to themselves and their other passengers. And there were others who disobeyed instructions (stood up to get a great photos) and put themselves and others in harm's way. Also some seem surprised that they were not seated "in the boat" but rather on the inflated edges of the perimeter. This means if one turns outwards to take a photo they should take care not to bump the person sitting cozily next to them. Each of the zodiacs will carry up to twelve people -- with six seated on each side.

As to getting wet, yes it is more than likely you will encounter everything from a light spray to and actual dousing from a wave. Be prepared and dress in waterproof pants and a waterproof jacket as cruising Kirby noted.

The zodiac rides are great fun and getting close to the landscape, seascape and wildlife is amazing. Just go with the full knowledge and be prepared and be courteous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excellent comments Chairsin. Those with balance issues should definately be careful about choosing a zodiac excursion. However for the majority of us, the zodiacs are very safe, providing you follow the instructions of the expedition staff. Like everything that carries a risk, it is important to listen to what is required and for your own safety, and that of others, just do as asked! I have been on zodiac excursions in Antarctica (with Seabourn) and in crocodile infested waters in Northern Australia (with Silverseas), and always felt very secure because I was lucky to have fellow passengers who did the right thing.

Thank you very much for all the interesting replys so far. I am aware that no one has experienced these specific tours, but maybe someone has been to the places of the tour (e.g. with another cruiseship) and has therefore an idea where a kayak or zodiac tour would be most rewarding. @Chairsin: Are you able to share which trips you did choose based on your discussion with John?

So in case of the 14 days Alaska Cruise, there are the following options:

- Scenic Cruising Holgate Glacier: Zodiac/Kayak

- Scenic Cruising Aialik Glacier: Zidiac/Kayak

- Inian Islands: Zodiac/Kayak

- Kelgays: Only Kayak

- Davidson Glacier: Hike & Zodiac

- North/South Sawyer Glacier/Edicott Arm: Kayak/Zodiac

- Rainbow Falls: Zodiac & Hike

- Kayak Exploration of Crittenden Creek

- Misty Fjords: Kayak and Zodiac

- Jackson Pass. Zodiac

- Klemtu Coastal Kayak Exploration

- Cormorant Marine Park: Zodiac/Kayak

For example on the website I do not see any different description (same duration, etc.) between a Zodiac Venture at the Holgate Glacier and Inian Islands, but there is nearly a 50% price bump between those two tours. So if you see the full list with little knowledge of the area, how do you guys choose?

Thank you very much for all the interesting replys so far. I am aware that no one has experienced these specific tours, but maybe someone has been to the places of the tour (e.g. with another cruiseship) and has therefore an idea where a kayak or zodiac tour would be most rewarding. @Chairsin: Are you able to share which trips you did choose based on your discussion with John?

So in case of the 14 days Alaska Cruise, there are the following options:

- Scenic Cruising Holgate Glacier: Zodiac/Kayak

- Scenic Cruising Aialik Glacier: Zidiac/Kayak

- Inian Islands: Zodiac/Kayak

- Kelgays: Only Kayak

- Davidson Glacier: Hike & Zodiac

- North/South Sawyer Glacier/Edicott Arm: Kayak/Zodiac

- Rainbow Falls: Zodiac & Hike

- Kayak Exploration of Crittenden Creek

- Misty Fjords: Kayak and Zodiac

- Jackson Pass. Zodiac

- Klemtu Coastal Kayak Exploration

- Cormorant Marine Park: Zodiac/Kayak

For example on the website I do not see any different description (same duration, etc.) between a Zodiac Venture at the Holgate Glacier and Inian Islands, but there is nearly a 50% price bump between those two tours. So if you see the full list with little knowledge of the area, how do you guys choose?

We embark at Seward on June 12th and have signed up for a number of tours:

Zodiac exploration of Aialik Glacier

Whales, Wildlife and Bear Search

Eagle Preserve Float Adventure

Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Rainbow Falls Zodiac and Hike

Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Watch

We chose based on the description on the Seabourn site.

We have done zodiac tours with Seabourn in the Antarctic and the Amazon. They were very good. I prefer zodiac to kayak because I want the freedom to get my camera out, change lenses, etc.

In the past, I have done a mini-blog on here for certain cruises. Would be happy to report back on the tours.

We embark at Seward on June 12th and have signed up for a number of tours:

Zodiac exploration of Aialik Glacier

Whales, Wildlife and Bear Search

Eagle Preserve Float Adventure

Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Rainbow Falls Zodiac and Hike

Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Watch

We chose based on the description on the Seabourn site.

We have done zodiac tours with Seabourn in the Antarctic and the Amazon. They were very good. I prefer zodiac to kayak because I want the freedom to get my camera out, change lenses, etc.

In the past, I have done a mini-blog on here for certain cruises. Would be happy to report back on the tours.

Yes please Roxburgh that would be very helpful. We've just been looking through the excursion planner and the sheer volume is overwhelming! If you have time for a mini blog that would be great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing our third Seabourn in August, having been in Antarctica in Dec 15 / Jan 16. We booked Alaska while away & one of the reasons was we loved the zodiac trips so much, & were sold on that being part of the Alaska cruise. Turns out zodiacs are not included & are anything between an extra USD 160 & 250 p.p per trip. Had we know this we would not have booked Seabourn as this will add an additional 3-4000 USD to our trip, if we take them each day.