Mediterranean Cruises

gklingel52

We were on a Med Cruise the first two weeks of September and the weather was lovely. Never needed a jacket, we weren't in the water as were busy touring. There were less than 100 children on the ship, so was very quiet as well.

We were on a land tour the last two weeks of September and again the weather was great. The only time we needed a jacket was on a boat cruise in Venice in the evening and then only a light one.

From what we were told, September is less crowded than July or August.

With so many ships in the Mediterranean from late April/early May through November, I find that May and September are not the "shoulder season" they used to be. Still plenty crowded, and I have found September still very warm -- almost uncomfortably so for me. For example, a couple years ago I boarded a HAL cruise at the very end of September in Athens and it was 100 degrees that day. People were passing out at the Acropolis. :eek:

For the fewest crowds, I prefer late April to very early May and then late October through November. Of the two, I suspect the April/May weather is slightly better in terms of less chances of rain, though I have generally had pretty good weather on six Med cruises in the fall. (Going on 7th in late October....:D). The couple I've taken in the spring have also been lovely, but the timing doesn't work out as well for me.

Depends what you are used to. On Mediterranean cruise in May I was still wearing a jacket while all around me were people from middle European countries basking in the sun. In June this year in Scandanavia I felt cool most of the time, while locals asked me how much I loved their summer.

Check weather sites and forecasts not just for temperatures but also for humidity and rainfall data.

Sometimes you just have to take it as you find it, dress appropriately and enjoy.

Interesting to note, last week in India while I sweltered in high heat and high humidity, apart from Sikhs no men wore hats or head coverings.

In 2015 we went the month of October and it was fine. June was also fine for us but I find April sometimes too cool for me.

A lot depends on what temperatures you are comfortable in. It seems like just about every trip we take I plan for all seasons. We take long trips and the weather changes.

We like October. We keep telling ourselves that we will try May it has not happened. Last fall we were in Greece and the in October. Weather was perfect. The year prior we in Sicily, swimming in the Med in late Oct. But, rain followed our 8 day Med cruise from the end of Oct to early Nov. We have had to leave the beach at Antalya, Turkey in mid October because we found it too hot to stay for more that a few hours.

You just never know. The four nicest days we have ever had in Rome were in mid/late November. The temperature was moderate, the lighting wonderful, and the crowds were absent.

One thing is for certain. Absolutely avoid from late June to mid Sept. Too hot, too crowded, prices too high.

Edited by iancal

You just never know. The four nicest days we have ever had in Rome were in mid/late November. The temperature was moderate, the lighting wonderful, and the crowds were absent.

There's probably a meteorological explanation, but I agree with you completely that a sunny day in November in Rome provides some magical lighting. Some of the best photos I have were taken in Rome in late November 2006. The sun on the stone of the Colosseum and at the Aqueduct park made for perfect photos. I only wish I had the upgraded camera that I have now....

Hello everyone.

we are British and now live by the med in Southern Spain.

Summers here are exceedingly hot especially in July and August.where temps on average are between 35 degrees and 45 degrees centigrade (95 - 113 f approx) June and September are cooler. eg today 30 September and for the next week, temps are 26 c (79 f approx)May and October are ideal IMO. Hope this helps and happy cruising.

Hello everyone.

we are British and now live by the med in Southern Spain.

Summers here are exceedingly hot especially in July and August.where temps on average are between 35 degrees and 45 degrees centigrade (95 - 113 f approx) June and September are cooler. eg today 30 September and for the next week, temps are 26 c (79 f approx)May and October are ideal IMO. Hope this helps and happy cruising.

We cruised Barcelona Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Croatia and ended in Venice July to August. We are from northern California and we are used to hot 100+ degree summer weather. We heard about hot summer temps in Europe and thought "no problem". We almost died from the heat/humidity, especially going inland away from the water. If you plan on doing lots of beach time you won't be as bad off, but if you plan on touring Rome, Venice, Greece or similar inland areas I would chose months other than July and August. Trust me ;) ~Joyce