Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam: formal night

Puppy Mama

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, Holland America has toned down formal night, it is now called Gala Night, and is more flexible with what they suggest to wear.

Second, full length gowns were never required. Optional, yes. But cocktail dresses, pant suits and other attire were frequently worn.

Lots of dress code info on the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Holland America, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Edited by CruiserBruce

What are women wearing on Formal Night? I was thinking in terms of a cocktail dress, but my husband says full-length formal dress (gown) is what they're wearing. Any advice from past cruisers of Holland America is appreciated.

Welcome to CC.

As a recent cruiser on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I can report on what I observed on our recent 19 days aboard. On four Gala Nights, I counted 10 tuxedos, no long gowns, and about 20 percent cocktail dresses. Of course this cruise was in Alaska so other destinations may differ.

The HAL minimum requirement for males on Gala Nights is collared shirts and slacks. Ties, jackets, suits, and tuxedos are not required. More than half of the males wore jackets with ties and their spouses wore corresponding female attire. In any case, feel free to dress as formal as you wish but do not expect others to be dressed the same.

Edited by Crew News

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL has changed their formal nights to Gala Nights and the dress code has changed drastically.

Most nights are "smart casual". On our 21 day repositioning cruise there were only a hand full of men wearing tuxedos and a few wearing suits and/or jacket with ties. The majority of the men wore slacks, dress shirts or collared shirts with no jackets or ties on Gala nights. I didn't see any long dresses. Just a few cocktail dresses. Most ladies wore skirts and blouses or pants with fancy tops.

What are women wearing on Formal Night? I was thinking in terms of a cocktail dress, but my husband says full-length formal dress (gown) is what they're wearing. Any advice from past cruisers of Holland America is appreciated.

If you would like to wear a cocktail dress, then go ahead. Fewer ladies are wearing gowns, although if that's what you're comfortable in, then do so. I like to bring a long black skirt and top, then overlay with pretty jackets or colourful scarves. Enjoy!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to Cunard which I sailed with 2 years ago, HAL is quite casual now. Perhaps it was the Alaska cruise which may be less formal than some others. The Gala night did not have many gowns or tuxedos that I saw. One man in full kilt regalia; that was pleasant to see. Some men wore polo shirts and slacks, some women in pants and a nice top.

Compared to Cunard which I sailed with 2 years ago, HAL is quite casual now. Perhaps it was the Alaska cruise which may be less formal than some others. The Gala night did not have many gowns or tuxedos that I saw. One man in full kilt regalia; that was pleasant to see. Some men wore polo shirts and slacks, some women in pants and a nice top.

On a Formal Night several years ago, one gentleman wore his Ben Franklin-like silk attire complete with white stockings and buckle shoes. It went perfectly with his longish white hair and caused a lot of heads to turn his way.