Dawn vs Escape to Bermuda

TyGrimmett

Hi all,

My wife and other are planning a cruise to Bermuda in June of 2018 for our 2nd anniversary. As of now, we're definitely going with Norwegian, but we're kind of in a bind, and your opinions would be much appreciated.

We could sail on the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston, Massachusetts. It's a smaller ship than our other option. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that others do, due to its size and age. However, it's got a pool, alcohol, and food. You add, our parking will probably be free there, thanks to a friend.

Our next option is the brand new Norwegian Escape that sails out of Manhattan, NYC. It's essentially brand new, has a water park, pool, a ropes course, and several bells and whistles. Parking won't be free, but it's a closer drive for us.

The cruise lengths are the same and the cost is a difference of $61, so no big deal. The bells and whistles aren't huge deals to us, but they are pretty neat.

So, has anyone been on either ship, or both? Why might we pick one over the other? Has anyone sailed from NYC or Boston?

Thanks all!!

I would pick the Escape because I think the itinerary is much better getting in to Bermuda on a Wednesday morning versus a Sunday afternoon. We are going on the Dawn out of Boston but that is only because my brother in law lives in Boston and we are spending time with him after the cruise. There is a festival in Bermuda Wednesday night and I am sad we will miss it as we will leave on Tuesday.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Edited by Beachiekeen

Hi all,

My wife and other are planning a cruise to Bermuda in June of 2018 for our 2nd anniversary. As of now, we're definitely going with Norwegian, but we're kind of in a bind, and your opinions would be much appreciated.

We could sail on the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston, Massachusetts. It's a smaller ship than our other option. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that others do, due to its size and age. However, it's got a pool, alcohol, and food. You add, our parking will probably be free there, thanks to a friend.

Our next option is the brand new Norwegian Escape that sails out of Manhattan, NYC. It's essentially brand new, has a water park, pool, a ropes course, and several bells and whistles. Parking won't be free, but it's a closer drive for us.

The cruise lengths are the same and the cost is a difference of $61, so no big deal. The bells and whistles aren't huge deals to us, but they are pretty neat.

So, has anyone been on either ship, or both? Why might we pick one over the other? Has anyone sailed from NYC or Boston?

Thanks all!!

You have all the main points pretty much figured out. We've sailed Dawn to Bermuda and since the drydock the Dawn is looking pretty nice. We've also sailed BA so familiar with Escape and what it has to offer. We are actually going on Escape to Bermuda June 2018.

As mentioned the Dawn gets in Sunday early afternoon and runs Friday-Friday.

We have been on both and have done the Bermuda run on the Dawn three times. We are going on the Escape again in Feb 2018

Personally, I prefer the Dawn. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that I can drive to Boston. I like the three days in Bermuda where I can come and go as I please. I like the promenade deck on the dawn that the Escape doesn't really have.

You are right that the Dawn doesn't have the newer bells and whistles of the Escape, but it also doesn't have the passenger volume.

I guess it comes down to what you like. If you want to do water slides and the ropes course, the choice is obvious. If you want a relaxed cruise with less people, the Dawn is your ship.

All the good points have already been covered. ;)

Guess it might boil down to what you like. I like the mega ships. There's more to entertain, and I like the spa/thermal suits on the big guys better than the Dawn (but I probably spend about 50% of my time in there. lol!).

We have been on both and have done the Bermuda run on the Dawn three times. We are going on the Escape again in Feb 2018

Personally, I prefer the Dawn. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that I can drive to Boston. I like the three days in Bermuda where I can come and go as I please. I like the promenade deck on the dawn that the Escape doesn't really have.

You are right that the Dawn doesn't have the newer bells and whistles of the Escape, but it also doesn't have the passenger volume.

I guess it comes down to what you like. If you want to do water slides and the ropes course, the choice is obvious. If you want a relaxed cruise with less people, the Dawn is your ship.

Willise, I guess you question for you would be which ship has better food in your opinion? That escape has more free options, as well as a Margaritaville for this ParrotHead. However, with the free at sea options, we can get alcohol and all of the food for gratuity.

Thanks again to everyone!

Another consideration for me would be the adult areas on the Escape, especially since you are cruising during the summer. I'm bummed the Dawn doesn't have one.

We actually considered spending time in Boston with my BIL before the cruise and then getting a transfer to the NY cruise harbor but it wasn't working with the dates we wanted. The Dawn is the size of ship I have been on for all my cruises. I have never been on a mega-ship--one day!

Willise, I guess you question for you would be which ship has better food in your opinion? That escape has more free options, as well as a Margaritaville for this ParrotHead. However, with the free at sea options, we can get alcohol and all of the food for gratuity.

Thanks again to everyone!

Food is so subjective, but I like the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn more than O'Sheeghan's on the Escape. The two main dining rooms on the Dawn are on par with the Escape. I found Cagney's on the Escape to be much nicer than on the Dawn. I can't express an opinion on the buffet because I find them a little disgusting in general :p and we never eat there. Margaritaville, for me, was a real let down. I was expecting a Jimmy Buffett type experience, but it's really just a burger joint.

Part of my food experience may be from the people on the ship. As I said, I'm not a crowd person and like to eat without tons of people close to me, like is the case in the Main Dining Room on the Escape. I much prefer the Venetian.

Food is so subjective, but I like the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn more than O'Sheeghan's on the Escape. The two main dining rooms on the Dawn are on par with the Escape. I found Cagney's on the Escape to be much nicer than on the Dawn. I can't express an opinion on the buffet because I find them a little disgusting in general :p and we never eat there. Margaritaville, for me, was a real let down. I was expecting a Jimmy Buffett type experience, but it's really just a burger joint.

Part of my food experience may be from the people on the ship. As I said, I'm not a crowd person and like to eat without tons of people close to me, like is the case in the Main Dining Room on the Escape. I much prefer the Venetian.

Blue Lagoon on the Dawn is now O'sheehan's.

I've been on both. I love the Dawn but would go with Escape. Spa is fantastic and if you are not in the Haven board early to get Vibe pass between Vibe and Spa you can get away from the masses. Enjoy! Food Republic, Mojito Bar, Pinchos, 5 o'clock somewhere make the food and drink choices on the Escape better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you've never sailed out if Manhattan, it's slightly stupendous. Boston is great, and I think you pass Old Ironsides, but it can't match New York Harbor, the Statue and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

All of that would sway me over food, entertainment and all the other things that make cruising great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you're not into all the bells and whistles...you can definitely get a better deal on the Dawn...probably snag a suite with all the extras for a pretty reasonable price..

On the other hand, sailing from NYC is fabulous and the new ship offers much better entertainment

Jmho

We love the NCL escape we have done it 3 times and have another planned before it relocates to NJ. There's so much to do on it compared to smaller ships. You don't even know how many people are on board? I have done inside and suite both great. The out side boardwalk idea is great! Dueling pianos was great! I only do the new ships from any cruise line except carnival don't like Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

We just did the Escape to western Caribbean and it was great but we've only sailed on the mega ships...Trying the Dawn in January for 10 day Southern Caribbean out of San Juan because we have never tried a smaller ship and we got a great deal on a suite for less than we paid for mini suite on Escape

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

I've been on the Dawn out of Boston for my first cruise experience and we loved it. The simplicity of driving an hour, parking & your on vacation is amazingly easy. I love loved Bermuda too, so clean and beautiful. I didn't mind getting in on a Sunday either. Perfect first cruise for our party of 9. I am going on the Escape in 35 days and can't wait. I think what your looking for from this cruise is where you decide which you should choose. Dawn is much smaller/ less action as far as activities but also never felt too crowded. I also enjoyed a large amount of lounging with my UBP :). I needed an R&R like that. This cruise we chose Escape for itinerary (eastern Caribbean)and for more action/islands to see. Fully prepared for bigger ship and chose it for more to do on board. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. All personal preference

If the Escape is similar to the Breakaway... I personally would sail on the Dawn. I sailed in a Haven Suite on Breakaway and did not receive the Suite service provided on the Dawn. Dawn was more likable to me. In fact I could sail any line or ship that goes to Bermuda in September. I choose the Dawn.

The newer ships do have a lot of bells and whistles. Unless you are Haven, you don't get to be in there. Most folks do not do the ropes course. The main theater shows require you to acquire ticket. The Ice Bar is fun... for 20 minutes. Wicked small pool on such a big ship. Most disappointing was the lack of use that was utilized on the Waterfront resturants. Just a lot more crowds on the newer big ships and a lot of activities.

Dawn has a lot more chance of R&R. Sailed Dawn 3 times to Bermuda, always thought I was missing out by not sailing on the Breakaway. I sailed finally on her, had a Haven Suite too. Sailing out of the NYC is spectacular regardless. Anyway, I am going back to the Dawn, in a suite. I also like the Dawns Spa area. I get treated like royalty, more so than on the larger ship. I never even meet the concierge on Breakaway till the last day, I did see his assistants.

DAWN would be my pick only because I have tried a similar ship to Escape and did like it, though not as much.

Edited by NH Cruisers