Downtown St. John's

hac82

The last time I was in port, it was very difficult getting off the ship to the shopping in port due to the numerous cab and tour drivers that were blocking us trying to get our business. I understand that they are competing for customers, but it was very uncomfortable with them physically blocking passengers while doing this. Also, in the Flea Market, vendors were actually grabbing at passengers to have them stop to look at the items for sale.

I will admit that it has been about five years since we were there so I am looking for comments from people that have been there recently to let me know if this is still the way things are or if they have improved. I saw some photos from some friends that just stopped there on a cruise and it does look like there was new construction in the port. I am interested in knowing how it is there now.

When I stop in a port, I do not like to stay on the ship as I want to always experience the culture, but when we go back next year, I would like to get off the ship, but I do not want to be blocked and grabbed.

The last time I was in port, it was very difficult getting off the ship to the shopping in port due to the numerous cab and tour drivers that were blocking us trying to get our business. I understand that they are competing for customers, but it was very uncomfortable with them physically blocking passengers while doing this. Also, in the Flea Market, vendors were actually grabbing at passengers to have them stop to look at the items for sale.

When we went in January there were yellow lines along the edge of the main pedestrian walkway from the port, there were specific areas where taxi drivers could congregate and there was very little hassle from anyone trying to get you to take tours

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there last week from the Regal Princess. There were taxi/tour sales people all over the place. They were friendly, however, felt it was a bit much. We did end up using one of the vendors and it worked out great for us.

I am glad to know that things may be a little better than they were the last time I was there. It really was bad. Not only did I have to find my way through the hassle leaving the ship, I also had to do the same thing getting back to the ship. They were almost physically stopping me from getting back to the ship, even when I told them I was heading back. They would stand their ground and say "just a short tour, you will still be back in time before she sails." The word "NO" did not exist for them.

I understand they need us to make money and I really do feel for them. I just want to be able to make a decision without being "forced".

A warm thank you to everyone that responded.

We were in Antigua about 18 months ago and didn't have any problems. We shared a minivan with two other couples and had a great tour for USD $20 per person. At the end of the tour, we asked to be dropped off at the market in the city centre and walked back to the ship without any difficulty.

http://Antigua-Island.com/

Grant2000, do you remember anything about your tour? Was it set up in advance or did you just choose a random taxi and decide the fee? What did you get to see?

Book tour/itenary/price in advance

If just a taxi or tour, have used without any complaints - reliable, excellent and kind

https://www.facebook.com/rogertaxitoursantigua/

Edited by PORT ROYAL