Bringing soda onboard?

jarand

Deleted

Just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable Princess Customer Service Representative (Jody). She walked me through the internet until I found the newest version of the Cruise Answer Book. Yes...beginning 2016 bottled water AND canned soda will not be allowed to be carried on your cruise.

But the good news is that Chocolate Covered Strawberries are seasonal and have not been permanently removed from the Elite Formal Night card.

I doubt if any campaign to reverse the water/soda policy will be effective, but I think if each and every one of us write on the comment cards and surveys for each cruise we take, maybe Princess will rethink this new policy.

Edited by cattolica

They'd better carry my type of diet soda or else I'll go elsewhere. I can deal with ships water and a few empty water bottles. That's really is piggish of them to do that.

framer :mad:

It would be nice to see some Diet A&W, or Diet Dr. Pepper. I know it may not happen, but you never know.

I am tired of the sillyness that Princess is doing now. I had been thinking of cruising at the next level. I know it is more expensive but just to get away from being asked constantly to buy things. I want the better level of service anyway.

It would be nice to see some Diet A&W, or Diet Dr. Pepper. I know it may not happen, but you never know.

YES!! Dr. Pepper!!

We each bring ~2 (sometimes 3 if not port intensive) for a 7-day cruise: DH likes regular and I like diet. We drink them in the cabin and often end up leaving 1 or 2 for the cabin steward as we may not get around to enjoying them.

We'd buy DP on board if it were offered, if for nothing else than to save the hassle of finding a place to buy them prior to the cruise. And to reduce the weight in our carry-on.

We also bring up to 4 bottles of water on board and refill them; again, wouldn't mind buying water on board if the price was reasonable! I just bought a case of about 36 bottles for $2.49, which (if memory serves) is less than what the cost is for 1 bottle in the cabin.

If they won't allow bottled water, then we'll just bring empty ones to fill. If they won't carry Dr. Pepper products, then we'll just drink our water!!

Sad to see they are changing a policy many enjoyed and didn't overly take advantage of...

I am tired of the sillyness that Princess is doing now. I had been thinking of cruising at the next level. I know it is more expensive but just to get away from being asked constantly to buy things. I want the better level of service anyway.

Enjoy the luxury lines! I hope you enjoy the fares too!

It's actually not silliness on the part of Princess. This can be blamed directly on alcohol smuggling passengers.... to those people who brag about it, you've really messed up everything for almost everyone!

I like to bring canned "double shots," of Starbucks for the last morning of the cruise. Having to get dressed and last minute packing without room service/Coffee is awful for me. Gotta have my early morning Joe right away. Are there any rules for that? I've not been hassled about it in the past but would hate to find out the hard way. :eek:

So If I want to purchase Jack Daniels from Princess I now need to purchase a soft drink beverage package at $5 per day to mix my own drinks? I only wanted to bring Diet Pepsi on board for mixing with my Jack I purchase from Princess. Can only one person in the room get the soft drink package?

Edited by mncruizr

That, unfortunately, is very likely. We have the booze smugglers to thank for that!

Thanks, booze smugglers. :mad:

I have a hard time believing it is the "booze smugglers" that caused this policy change.

As Pam often says, it is all about the money.

I like to bring canned "double shots," of Starbucks for the last morning of the cruise. Having to get dressed and last minute packing without room service/Coffee is awful for me. Gotta have my early morning Joe right away. Are there any rules for that? I've not been hassled about it in the past but would hate to find out the hard way. :eek:

Not after January 2016.

Well, weather is was caused by smuggling or not, at least they could now bring on more choices for the soda drinkers. I don't mind paying, but only for what I do enjoy drinking. And if water is all I get, well I guess my insides are really going to be nice and healthy.

I have a hard time believing it is the "booze smugglers" that caused this policy change.

Okay, let's follow the money. Princess makes money by selling drinks. Booze smugglers don't give Princess money for their drinks because they smuggle their booze on to the ship. One or two cheats doesn't hurt the bottom line, but multiply that by many, and Princess notices it's not selling as many drinks. Smugglers use many methods to sneak the booze in, and Princess is spending lots of time (and money) looking for it. Cutting back on the need to inspect liquids openly brought in by passengers frees up more time to look for the sneakier methods of doing it. Princess spends less money looking for booze in water bottles and has more resources to find the hidden stuff, thus increasing booze sales. (Assuming the smugglers will buy the stuff on the ship if Princess confiscates their booty.) Princess has decided to go Carnival one better and forbid cans as well as bottles. I guess they think "in for a penny, in for a pound"; the passengers will adjust. So, yes, I think we can lay this squarely at the feet of the booze smugglers.

Edited by shredie

I understand booze smugglers and bottled pop and water but I have no ideas what it has to do about cans.

If I can't bring on my Diet Dr. Pepper and Princess doesn't offer it I may be moving elsewhere.

I wonder if I could bring my soda stream?

I understand booze smugglers and bottled pop and water but I have no ideas what it has to do about cans.

If I can't bring on my Diet Dr. Pepper and Princess doesn't offer it I may be moving elsewhere.

I wonder if I could bring my soda stream?

Even Carnival didn't go that far & they allow 12 cans of soda. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

Even Carnival didn't go that far & they allow 12 cans of soda. :(

I hate to say it , but give it time it may come down to most of them not allowing us to bring on anything. If it comes to that it won't stop me from cruising. But hopefully it would expand the flavors of soda they offer.

If booze can be smuggled in cans they deserve kudos. I brought a case of soda as my daughter loves cream soda and they opened the box to make sure it wasnt beer. I think its the $$$ AND I wouldn't be surprized to see a ban on bringing your own water bottles as some people stick their dirty water bottles right under and touching the spout rather than pour it in from a clean glass. Can we say NOROVIRUS?

So If I want to purchase Jack Daniels from Princess I now need to purchase a soft drink beverage package at $5 per day to mix my own drinks? I only wanted to bring Diet Pepsi on board for mixing with my Jack I purchase from Princess. Can only one person in the room get the soft drink package?

Princess does sell soft drinks by the can so why do you need to buy the whole package?

Just got off the phone with a very knowledgeable Princess Customer Service Representative (Jody). She walked me through the internet until I found the newest version of the Cruise Answer Book. Yes...beginning 2016 bottled water AND canned soda will not be allowed to be carried on your cruise.

But the good news is that Chocolate Covered Strawberries are seasonal and have not been permanently removed from the Elite Formal Night card.

I doubt if any campaign to reverse the water/soda policy will be effective, but I think if each and every one of us write on the comment cards and surveys for each cruise we take, maybe Princess will rethink this new policy.

So if I bring water aboard on Saturday, it won't be confiscated?

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

I wouldn't be surprized to see a ban on bringing your own water bottles as some people stick their dirty water bottles right under and touching the spout rather than pour it in from a clean glass. Can we say NOROVIRUS?

You can buy one bottle of water from Princess. Once it is empty, the same problem will exist.