Bringing soda onboard?

jarand

Quote response received on Princess FB:

Hi Bruce, a recent revision of the Cruise Answer Book incorrectly stated the policy for bringing soda and water onboard, and we apologize for any confusion this may have caused. At this time, no changes have been made. We will be sure to advise our guests if these policies do change.

The wording "bottled water and canned or bottled soda" didn't come out of thin air. Maybe someone pulled the trigger too soon but this had to be under discussion by Princess. Glad that "at this time" no changes have been made. We don't bring water or soda on board, but people need to let Princess know how they feel about the potential change. Edited by IECalCruiser

I just talked to someone at Princess who said the policy hasn't changed after all, and whoever confirmed it was official on January 1 basically made that up because it hasn't been stated anywhere. She said they're in the process of fixing the mistake in the Cruise Answer book.

Yippee Kayai, if it's true. :D

Quote response received on Princess FB:

Hi Bruce, a recent revision of the Cruise Answer Book incorrectly stated the policy for bringing soda and water onboard, and we apologize for any confusion this may have caused. At this time, no changes have been made. We will be sure to advise our guests if these policies do change.

I got the same thing:

Hi Steelers36 (name changed, LOL), a recent revision of the Cruise Answer Book incorrectly stated the policy for bringing soda and water onboard, and we apologize for any confusion this may have caused. At this time, no changes have been made. We will be sure to advise our guests if these policies do change.

I do the same thing, but with WetOnes which are far more (but not enough) effective than Clorox wipes. You need a sanitizer with Chloride, which strangely enough, Clorox doesn't contain.

That's not my problem. It is the spigot. You can't, very effectively, wipe down the spigot without taking it apart. I could always refill my water bottle at the dining room table. That is probably the safest "untouched/uncontaminated" surface. I know, just paranoid. It would just be easier for me to bring my own salt free bottles of water.

Not regular Clorox wipes. The ones with HYDROGEN PEROXIDE which are hospital grade. Those are the ones I use in the cabins, and I use them on airplane trays and the outside of the seatback pocket. The stuff IN the pocket goes in bagged, and I just reach in the bag, avoiding touching the inside of the pocket intself. The most germ ridden part of a plane is those seatback pockets.

Just got the before the cruise email and it said nothing about water or soda's just one bottle of wine per person then $15corking charge for each additional and not hard alcohol. Don't see that anything has changed. Going forward with my case of water and a :cool:few bottles of soda when we board tomorrow:D:D:D:D:D

Just got the before the cruise email and it said nothing about water or soda's just one bottle of wine per person then $15corking charge for each additional and not hard alcohol. Don't see that anything has changed. Going forward with my case of water and a :cool:few bottles of soda when we board tomorrow:D:D:D:D:D

There have been a few announcements on this board that there will not be any changes, at least for now.

• 4 months later...
Enjoy the luxury lines! I hope you enjoy the fares too!

It's actually not silliness on the part of Princess. This can be blamed directly on alcohol smuggling passengers.... to those people who brag about it, you've really messed up everything for almost everyone!

Now please don't be too hard on me!:cool:

We like my martinis in our cabin, freshly made, as my wife and I relax for a few minutes before dinner. I have tried several times to get a decent martini in our cabin(bar "room service"), and it's been impossible on every line on which we've sailed (NCL, CCL, Princess, HAL, RCI). I admit I am finicky about my martini - I don't want it lukewarm nor do I want ice floating in the glass!:eek:

I would be happy to pay for a bottle of gin and the other necessities for making my own martini in my cabin, but I am not willing to pay the ridiculous amount the cruise lines charge. I'd be happy as a clam to pay, perhaps twice what the cost is on shore, but NOT three times and NOT a limited selection of gin,etc. For me, I'll either "smuggle" my booze on board, or lately, simply not drink on board. It's not always cost you know, it's quality.

We don't usually bring water or soft drinks on board, but I know that NCL still permits passengers to bring those on board, at least they did the last time we sailed with them last year. I can only hope that some cruise lines continue to permit us to bring a bottle each of our favorite wine (although only the tiny 750ml bottles). We always do that. Once again, I'd buy wine on board, but the cruise line prices for wine are nuts also, and they have a limited selection.

Doug

We took two 12 packs of soda aboard for our 10 day cruise. Put them both in a carry on and put a luggage tag on it. It was delivered to the cabin no problem. It was the last suitcase to be delivered though. They probably checked it to make sure it wasn't beer.

Edited by Sacto Rick

We took two 12 packs of soda aboard for our 10 day cruise. Put them both in a carry on and put a luggage tag on it. It was delivered to the cabin no problem. It was the last suitcase to be delivered though. They probably checked it to make sure it wasn't beer.

Thanks. How long ago was this cruise? And sailing from which port?

You said you had them in your carry on, but then said they were delivered to your cabin? I think you meant you checked those 12 packs at the pier and had the ship's staff deliver them to your cabin, right?

We're sailing from San Francisco in about 4 weeks.

I just now tracked down the Princess Policy HERE. Do a search for "canned"*. Of course, that doesn't mean that each Princess ship in each port visit will enforce that policy, especially since it's a change from what they had been doing for years. We will probably attempt to bring a couple of 6 packs of diet Dr Pepper in our checked baggage. If it's confiscated, we'll not be out too much money.

*"...Liquor, spirits, beer, bottled water and canned or bottled soda are not permitted. ..."

Ha! I guess one could bring CANNED water on board; but who has seen canned water outside of survival rations in the life boats! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Thanks. How long ago was this cruise? And sailing from which port?

You said you had them in your carry on, but then said they were delivered to your cabin? I think you meant you checked those 12 packs at the pier and had the ship's staff deliver them to your cabin, right?

We're sailing from San Francisco in about 4 weeks.

I just now tracked down the Princess Policy HERE. Do a search for "canned"*. Of course, that doesn't mean that each Princess ship in each port visit will enforce that policy, especially since it's a change from what they had been doing for years. We will probably attempt to bring a couple of 6 packs of diet Dr Pepper in our checked baggage. If it's confiscated, we'll not be out too much money.

*"...Liquor, spirits, beer, bottled water and canned or bottled soda are not permitted. ..."

Ha! I guess one could bring CANNED water on board; but who has seen canned water outside of survival rations in the life boats! :rolleyes:

Sitting at my computer, reading through Cruise Critic postings this morning(drinking my morning Diet Pepsi), when I read the above posting. Ahhh! As an addicted Diet Pepsi drinker, and leaving on the Ruby Princess May 8 for Alaska, my Diet Pepsi bottles are already packed. They are banning me from bringing on board my Diet Pepsi? Must be brand new as it is not in my current Princess Cruise Atlas (2016-2017). Since it is a somewhat hidden & sudden change - do you think they will be enforcing it yet or is this just a warning as to what is to come? This is just my second cruise and first Princess cruise, so not real cruise knowledgeable. Thank heavens for Cruise Critic! Any advice, words of wisdom?

Sitting at my computer, reading through Cruise Critic postings this morning(drinking my morning Diet Pepsi), when I read the above posting. Ahhh! As an addicted Diet Pepsi drinker, and leaving on the Ruby Princess May 8 for Alaska, my Diet Pepsi bottles are already packed. They are banning me from bringing on board my Diet Pepsi? Must be brand new as it is not in my current Princess Cruise Atlas (2016-2017). Since it is a somewhat hidden & sudden change - do you think they will be enforcing it yet or is this just a warning as to what is to come? This is just my second cruise and first Princess cruise, so not real cruise knowledgeable. Thank heavens for Cruise Critic! Any advice, words of wisdom?

You should be able to bring the Diet Pepsi Colas on board with your CARRIED luggage. I think there is occasionally a problem if they are inside your CHECKED baggage.....their machinery might think it's something other than water or soda. No one boarding the Grand Princess in SFO had any problem bringing soda and water with their CARRIED baggage. Nor at any of our 5 port visits. I have no idea if anyone had problems with that in their checked bags.

It's a typo. Bottles and cans are still allowed, as of last October. Since princess is run by carnival, we think they probably thought the same rules applied.

Thank you so very much! I am ready for the Ruby Princess!

I am currently on the last leg of the world cruise on the Pacific Princess. I drink Diet Pepsi because it has no aspartame (the blue stuff in the packets). I contacted Princess on the website where you notify of any food issues prior to the beginning of the cruise. My doctor had been concerned that some of arthritis and digestive issues I was having were caused by aspartame toxicity.

I was told I could bring as much on as I desired, but I had to store it all in my stateroom. I was to tape a boarding label on each case and it would be delivered to my stateroom.

So, we brought on 3 24-packs in San Pedro. We brought on 5 more 24-packs in Honolulu. 95 days later, in Fort Lauderdale, I brought on 1 12-pack to augment my remaining stash for the last leg.

No problem.

It's a typo. Bottles and cans are still allowed, as of last October. Since princess is run by carnival, we think they probably thought the same rules applied.

I no longer see carnival from my condo front porch :(

Princess is not run by Carnival. They are in different divisions of CC. Therefore there is no reason to think they would have the same rules.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers