Port stop in boston

Which bakery is closer to Faneuil Hall ? If we go to Bova's it doesn't look like there's seating ?

Mike's is about 3 minutes closer, while Mike's does have seating, it is frequently packed and long waits for seating. Much better to get your cannoli and take it back to the greenway over the big dig and people watch.

Another little known gem for lunch is the Boston Public Market, which is on Hanover Street as well, but on the Quincy Market side of the big dig (right close by Union Oyster House).

Mike's is about 3 minutes closer, while Mike's does have seating, it is frequently packed and long waits for seating. Much better to get your cannoli and take it back to the greenway over the big dig and people watch.

Another little known gem for lunch is the Boston Public Market, which is on Hanover Street as well, but on the Quincy Market side of the big dig (right close by Union Oyster House).

You're so very helpful...thank you so much.

Hi, you mention that you will be there in October. I'm wondering if you're doing a transatlantic? If so and Boston is your first USA port then you will have to go through Immigration which can be a nightmare. We queued for nearly 3 hours to go through immigration before getting of Navigator of the Seas. We were scheduled for immigration at 9.30 but only got off the ship near 1pm so just had to take a taxi to Quincy and back to the ship. Some folk never even got off in time.it didn't help much that Royal Caribbean had no landing cards so we had to wait until those were delivered.

Hi, you mention that you will be there in October. I'm wondering if you're doing a transatlantic? If so and Boston is your first USA port then you will have to go through Immigration which can be a nightmare. We queued for nearly 3 hours to go through immigration before getting of Navigator of the Seas. We were scheduled for immigration at 9.30 but only got off the ship near 1pm so just had to take a taxi to Quincy and back to the ship. Some folk never even got off in time.it didn't help much that Royal Caribbean had no landing cards so we had to wait until those were delivered.

No....RCI Anthem 9 night Canada/New England...Boston is our first port stop.

So sorry you had such a delay...but thanks so much for taking the time to reply...hopefully you won't have that kind of experience again.

Enjoy your next cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on a transatlantic from Copenhagen in September.. And, Boston, will be our first USA port. I was wondering about immigration and thank you for this info. We plan on the Hop-on/Hop-off and hope to visit a museum, and then have lunch at Quincy somewhere for lobster rolls. Gee, I hope, we don't have that kind of an issue with immigration.

Cheers,

Carol

Yankee Lobster, near the port, has great lobster rolls. I have yet to find one close to the same quality in Quincy, but if you know of one, please let me know!

I think that the best lobster rolls are in Maine, but in Boston, my vote goes for Yankee Lobster as well, but it can get crazy crowded at lunch. I think the PP meant Quincy Marker, not Quincy, MA, though I wouldn't recommend a lobster roll in the Market either, there are other places in the Quincy/Faneuil Hall area: Ned Devine's (Jamesons' bread pudding!) and of course the "fried dough" cart.

I think that the best lobster rolls are in Maine, but in Boston, my vote goes for Yankee Lobster as well, but it can get crazy crowded at lunch. I think the PP meant Quincy Marker, not Quincy, MA, though I wouldn't recommend a lobster roll in the Market either, there are other places in the Quincy/Faneuil Hall area: Ned Devine's (Jamesons' bread pudding!) and of course the "fried dough" cart.

You've got my curiosity up again....."Jameson's bread pudding and the fried dough cart"....some info please :p

You've got my curiosity up again....."Jameson's bread pudding and the fried dough cart"....some info please :p

Well, the Jameson's bread pudding is just that, bread pudding with a Jameson's Irish whiskey sauce.

Fried dough is a New England county fair staple. Kind of a cross between a beignet and a funnel cake, it is a dinner plate sized slab of fried doughnut dough, served hot with melted butter and powdered sugar. Clogs your arteries just thinking about it.

Well, the Jameson's bread pudding is just that, bread pudding with a Jameson's Irish whiskey sauce.

Fried dough is a New England county fair staple. Kind of a cross between a beignet and a funnel cake, it is a dinner plate sized slab of fried doughnut dough, served hot with melted butter and powdered sugar. Clogs your arteries just thinking about it.

Sounds great..after all when your on vacation...enjoy...Thanks so much.

• 4 weeks later...
Yankee Lobster, near the port, has great lobster rolls. I have yet to find one close to the same quality in Quincy, but if you know of one, please let me know!

Neptune Oyster is pretty much the best in town. James Hook is no frills but very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two hours should do it if you're actually off the ship by 11:30. What are your time choices?

The tours are on the hour. I want to take the T back to Boston Commons and do some of the Freedom Trail. Hope to catch the water taxi back to ship if I make it to North Church.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be in Boston on a Saturday stop. We have been to Boston before, so don't know exactly what we want to do, but Quincy Market is always nice. Would also like to do a little shopping. We don't mind public transportation. How do we go from the cruise dock to the downtown area? Is the transportation close to the dock? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

The tours are on the hour. I want to take the T back to Boston Commons and do some of the Freedom Trail. Hope to catch the water taxi back to ship if I make it to North Church.

I'd consider taking Uber to Fenway Park for a 1 pm tour. Then take the T back to Park St to the Boston Common to walk the trail. Water taxi back to Black Falcon is pricey - $20/pp.

An alternative suggestion would be to reverse your route on the Freedom Trail - From Fenway take the Green Line back to Haymarket (trolley change might be required at Park St), walk into the North End and walk the trail backwards to the Boston Common (Park St). From there it's very easy to take the Red Line to South Station (Any train Braintree/Ashmont direction two stops) and transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus to Black Falcon Terminal.

We will be in Boston on a Saturday stop. We have been to Boston before, so don't know exactly what we want to do, but Quincy Market is always nice. Would also like to do a little shopping. We don't mind public transportation. How do we go from the cruise dock to the downtown area? Is the transportation close to the dock? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Do you just want to go to Quincy Market or are you interested in downtown shopping (Macy's) or perhaps Newbury St shopping (http://www.newbury-st.com/) or Prudential Center shopping in Back Bay (http://www.prudentialcenter.com/shop_category.html)?

You can take the Silver Line Bus which stops on Black Falcon Ave near the cruise terminal to get to South Station to free transfer to the T subway to get to any of these destinations.

If the weather is bad, the Pru Center and Copley Place are connected indoor shopping venues.

Do you just want to go to Quincy Market or are you interested in downtown shopping (Macy's) or perhaps Newbury St shopping (http://www.newbury-st.com/) or Prudential Center shopping in Back Bay (http://www.prudentialcenter.com/shop_category.html)?

You can take the Silver Line Bus which stops on Black Falcon Ave near the cruise terminal to get to South Station to free transfer to the T subway to get to any of these destinations.

If the weather is bad, the Pru Center and Copley Place are connected indoor shopping venues.

Thank you. We will probably want to see the downtown area. Are any of the downtown malls very large? Do you know if TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Steinmart are in the downtown area?

/

Thank you. We will probably want to see the downtown area. Are any of the downtown malls very large? Do you know if TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Steinmart are in the downtown area?

/

TJ Maxx and Marshalls are at 350 Washington St in downtown Boston, which is a short walk from the Downtown Crossing T station. You would take the Silver Line to South Station, transfer to the Red Line direction Alewife, and go one stop to Downtown Crossing.

Everything in downtown is pretty close together. From TJ Maxx it's a short walk over to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. However, the streets are confusing, so you should have a good map with you or pull up google walking directions.

Thank you for the Fenway information. The plan will be to take a cab if I'm off the ship after 11:30. I was thinking the water taxi would be an interesting tour. I'll take the weather into consideration for my plan. I'm open to just grabbing a cab if short of time or bad weather. Thanks , Pam

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be a popular thread for general info on Boston.

We WILL be on one of those TA's with our first US as Boston. Hopefully they have gotten the word that this is such a waste they maybe will be better as time goes.

I, too, am looking for a great Lobster Roll and maybe chowder near the port. I know about the chowder house.

Can we walk from the ship the No Name restaurant on the pier? How far do you figure? I thought I might take the bus (SL2?) from the port if there is a stop near that restaurant. Then continue further in to Quincy Market.

If I would take SL2, doesn't it terminate at a large station before getting to the market? If so, which bus to transfer to?

Thanks so much.

This seems to be a popular thread for general info on Boston.

We WILL be on one of those TA's with our first US as Boston. Hopefully they have gotten the word that this is such a waste they maybe will be better as time goes.

I, too, am looking for a great Lobster Roll and maybe chowder near the port. I know about the chowder house.

Can we walk from the ship the No Name restaurant on the pier? How far do you figure? I thought I might take the bus (SL2?) from the port if there is a stop near that restaurant. Then continue further in to Quincy Market.

If I would take SL2, doesn't it terminate at a large station before getting to the market? If so, which bus to transfer to?

Thanks so much.

It's about a 6-8 block walk to the Boston Fish Pier, which is where the No Name Restaurant is located. Taking the SL 2 bus to Silver Line away will get you a little over half way there.

The SL2 bus terminates at South Station where you transfer to the Red line direction Alewife and go one stop to Downtown crossing and transfer to the Orange Line direction Oak Grove to go two stops to Haymarket or one stop to State. Another option is to stay on the Red Line to Park and transfer to the Green Line to go to Government Center (this route has a large number of steps down to Congress St along the side of City Hall).