Bringing a Case of Water

Podie

Last year I slapped a luggage tag on a case of water in Fort Lauderdale and it was taken as baggage without a problem. Does anyone know if this can still be done?

They usually allow it.

Yep you can do that. But there is really no need to. All of the water is either Reverse Osmosis or Distilled depending on the ship and what systems they are running.

JoeRum

That may be true....but I would have a problem drinking water that comes out of a bathroom sink. Call me a germphobe if you will, but that just seems gross.

Yep you can do that. But there is really no need to. All of the water is either Reverse Osmosis or Distilled depending on the ship and what systems they are running.

JoeRum

That may be true....but I would have a problem drinking water that comes out of a bathroom sink. Call me a germphobe if you will, but that just seems gross.

This topic often raises when people ask for bringing water onboard.

And I always point to a very interesting posting regarding the ship's water:

Okay, a few misconceptions and misrepresented facts here, so I as a Chief Engineer of 38 years standing will weigh in on this topic:

1. Most water onboard is produced from sea water. This is done in two ways; distillation and reverse osmosis. Distillation is done as one previous poster eloquently spelled out. It is pure distilled water. Reverse osmosis presses water molecules through a porous membrane at high pressure, with the pores of the membrane sized to only allow water molecules, or smaller to pass through. Both sodium and chlorine ions in the sea water are too big to pass. This water will have some minerals in it, but usually not sodium as many cruisers submit when complaining about water retention, since the pore size is too small. Both types of watermakers can only be operated when outside 12 miles from shore. The evaporator uses the heat from the cooling water (think your car's radiator) of the engines, so the ship needs to be running several generators (like at sea) to run the evaporators. Reverse osmosis units are strictly electrical, but again, you are not allowed to take in sea water for de-salinization while in port.

2. Some water is taken while in port, not necessarily the "home port". This happens when the itinerary is port intensive, so the ship cannot operate the watermakers enough time to make up for the port time.

3. All water, whether produced onboard, or taken from port, is treated with chlorine to kill bacteria, before it is placed in the ship's tanks. The water that is circulated through the ship's piping is constantly being monitored and treated with chlorine to maintain the required USPH residual chlorine level. This is why many say the water tastes funny. Chlorine is also an agent of water retention in humans.

4. The drinking water dispensers, soda guns at the bars, and ice makers all have carbon filters attached to remove the chlorine (it causes problems with the internals of the machinery), so many swear by only drinking the water in the buffet, and this is why.

5. A ship of 2200 passengers and 900 crew will use about 800-1000 metric tons (200,000-260,000 gallons) per day.

6. Some water is also reclaimed from the A/C units (if you've got one at your house, you know about the condensate pump to take away the water). Depending on the itinerary and time of year, this can be 100-200 metric tons per day. This water is generally used in the ship's laundry.

7. Food waste is ground to the consistency of oatmeal, and is pumped overboard at night. This can amount to 10 cubic meters of food waste.

8. Most cruise ships these days have what is called an "Advanced Waste Water Treatment" system. This system takes ALL of the water used onboard: gray water from sinks and showers, galley water from sinks and dishwashers, laundry water, black water from toilets, and processes it before sending it over the side when at sea. These plants can treat water to nearly pure drinking water status. They are tested every other month for whether they meet the requirements for coliform bacteria that they are sending over the side. It is better than 90% of municipal systems. There is one engineer whose sole duty is to operate and maintain the waste water treatment system. These systems will handle the full amount of water used onboard (800-1000 metric tons/day on the ship I referenced above), in a constant treatment flow, and when in port, the water is stored in tanks for discharge at sea.

We can take 2 bottles of non-alcohol champagne and a case of water? Please tell me how it is done. Where did you get luggage tag and what did you print on the luggage tag? Taking 7 day cruise in September with Royal Caribbean on Indy. Someone also mentioned diet coke. Can we take all three on at one time? If so, again how would we proceed on board with all three?

Edited by Dreamworks941
add on

We can take 2 bottles of non-alcohol champagne and a case of water? Please tell me how it is done. Where did you get luggage tag and what did you print on the luggage tag? Taking 7 day cruise in September with Royal Caribbean on Indy.

You use the same luggage tag that you would use on your suitcases. You can download them from Royal's website at around 49 days before the cruise.

In Beer there is barley, in wine there is wisdom, in water there is bacteria.

I work in the water business. The owner of the company is a germaphobe. I totally understand. Having worked in the business for 20 plus years I can tell you I wont drink water out of the lake as I did as a kid. My Dad never drank water because "fish pee in it". LOL

There is only so much water on this planet, we use it, expel it, it goes back into the earth, we pump it out, filter it and reuse it again and again. It is a very reused resource.

JoeRum

This topic often raises when people ask for bringing water onboard.

And I always point to a very interesting posting regarding the ship's water:

Great information and all of it is correct. Right now the Company I work for is building a new Reverse Osmosis plant that will be installed at Guantanamo Bay Cuba next year.

JoeRum

It's usually not problem to bring cases of water, although experienced travelers use a water pitcher filter instead. It's a lot cheaper, and much easier than lugging cases of water around the port and ship.

At some ports the porters will NOT take your case of water or sodas at all. You must carry them around with you on the ship until the rooms are ready.

This happened to me a few months back at the Tampa Port. Other ports the porters had no problem taking them.

Just be aware you might be carrying your water or soda around with you.

Happened to me in Tampa too but I managed it. Sailing out of Port Canaveral on the 30th. Does anyone know if they will deliver my water with a luggage tag there or will it be the same as Tampa?

I have had them refuse an obvious case of water at Port Canaveral. Better to put it in a bag of some sort.

Last year I slapped a luggage tag on a case of water in Fort Lauderdale and it was taken as baggage without a problem. Does anyone know if this can still be done?

Just make sure the one with the vodka in it isn't along the outside edge.

I'm confused. I thought I read on RCI website that non-alcoholic beverages, including water, we're NOT allowed to be brought on board. Only 2 bottles of wine/champagne. Did I read it wrong?

You read correctly. Officially water and soda are not allowed. In practice it is usually allowed at most ports.