Tipping - UBER/LYFT in Miami

Jetlagged787

I appreciate that tipping is a hot topic on the boards but, as somebody from the other side of the pond, the question has to be asked. Sorry!

In Europe we do not tip US style, but personally I do accept it as part of your culture and behave appropriately.

On the subject of Uber (we do not have LYFT), we are told that the price we are quoted is the price that we pay and we should not tip. In fact, my sister in London says that, whenever she has tried to tip an Uber driver he has handed it back.

Thanks to the good advice on these boards we have decided to Uber from MIA to PoM and would like advice on tipping. Do we or not? If we do, what is the norm?

A genuine question people. I'm not trying to start WWIII here.

I am an Uber driver and a TIP is NOT included in the rate. You now have the option of tipping on the app or giving a cash tip to the driver. If they take your luggage and put it in the trunk and are courteous and friendly, I would definitely give them something extra. An average tip is about 20%. If you have good service at a restaurant, you would definitely tip, same with a rideshare trip. Uber drivers do not make much money, since the company takes at least 25%. Be generous and kind, give that driver a small appreciation of their efforts.

I am an Uber driver and a TIP is NOT included in the rate. You now have the option of tipping on the app or giving a cash tip to the driver. If they take your luggage and put it in the trunk and are courteous and friendly, I would definitely give them something extra. An average tip is about 20%. If you have good service at a restaurant, you would definitely tip, same with a rideshare trip. Uber drivers do not make much money, since the company takes at least 25%. Be generous and kind, give that driver a small appreciation of their efforts.

Thank you for the clarification, I was under the assumption tip was included.

Before Uber allowed you to add on a tip I would often tip the drivers in cash for exceptional service - never had a driver refuse the tip. I prefer to add the tip onto the fare, which is the system Lyft has always had (at least since I started using them).

As John mentioned, I always gave my driver a cash tip as their rates are usually so much less than a taxi, and never had it refused. Being able to add it within the app is a nice new feature. I personally tip them just like I would if I were in a regular taxi, but you are under no obligation to do so.

As mentioned for a very long time a tip was not an option using the App and really was not mentioned. Now you do have the option. It gives you choices right on the app or you can pay cash. The good thing about cash is you can make the decision based on your experience rather then up front so that is what we do.

Keith

As mentioned for a very long time a tip was not an option using the App and really was not mentioned. Now you do have the option. It gives you choices right on the app or you can pay cash. The good thing about cash is you can make the decision based on your experience rather then up front so that is what we do.

Keith

But cash is King

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Uber driver, unless the driver is rude or reckless, you should give them some kind of tip. You wouldn't NOT leave a tip for the wait staff at a restaurant if the food wasn't prepared well. It isn't their fault, so if there was traffic or delays or the driver didn't talk much, you should still give them a few dollars regardless. Too many riders think that our tip is included, when it is NOT. Remember, an Uber fare is MUCH cheaper than taking a taxi, and they pick you up much faster than taxis too.