Norwegian Jewel or Celebrity Solstice for Alaskan cruise

bsage

Hello! My wife and I are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise soon and wanted to try a different cruise line. We have done Royal and Carnival several times, so it was between NCL, Holland, Celebrity, and Princess.

Based on itineraries and reviews and such, we are leaning toward either the NCL Jewel or Celebrity Solstice. Since we don't know much about either line, I wanted to asked the people who know.

There is a really good deal for the Solstice, and from what I have read it is more of an upscale experience. The food is supposedly better and it generally caters to people who like to dress up and enjoy the finer things. That has led me to a few concerns. When I am on a cruise, I like to relax. I usually walk around in shorts and a t-shirt (though maybe not so much in Alaska). Not even really a nice T-shirt. Reading about their dress code, it seems like they expect "Cruise casual", which isn't really "casual" to me. Are they strict about the dress code? Do people generally have button down shirts and khakis on all day, and wear suites and tuxedoes at night? Is it more relaxed than that?

Secondly, is it what you would consider a "fun" ship? When we go on cruises, we typically play a lot of mini golf, basketball, and shuffleboard. We also try to watch different shows, but if we aren't entertained within the first 10 minutes we usually leave. We haven't been that impressed with Carnival and RCL in regards to entertainment, but they generally offer more games and such that we do like.

NCL seems to be more like our previous cruises, but for this I am wondering if it is a step up from them or more or less on the same level? I have seen mixed reviews on the shows and the food, so that is concerning. It does seem like the dress code is more relaxed, which is great for me, but I cant base everything on my refusal to dress up.

I know it isn't as upscale as Celebrity, but I don't always consider upscale to be better. I have been to fancy restaurants that aren't much better than Longhorn or Outback, but costs 3 times as much. That said, I haven't been a huge fan of the food on RCL, so if NCL is the same then I might want to give the Solstice a try.

So what do you think? Go with NCL because its more relaxed or try something new with Celebrity?

Thanks!

Edited by bsage

Hello! My wife and I are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise soon and wanted to try a different cruise line. We have done Royal and Carnival several times, so it was between NCL, Holland, Celebrity, and Princess.

Based on itineraries and reviews and such, we are leaning toward either the NCL Jewel or Celebrity Solstice. Since we don't know much about either line, I wanted to asked the people who know.

There is a really good deal for the Solstice, and from what I have read it is more of an upscale experience. The food is supposedly better and it generally caters to people who like to dress up and enjoy the finer things. That has led me to a few concerns. When I am on a cruise, I like to relax. I usually walk around in shorts and a t-shirt (though maybe not so much in Alaska). Not even really a nice T-shirt. Reading about their dress code, it seems like they expect "Cruise casual", which isn't really "casual" to me. Are they strict about the dress code? Do people generally have button down shirts and khakis on all day, and wear suites and tuxedoes at night? Is it more relaxed than that?

Secondly, is it what you would consider a "fun" ship? When we go on cruises, we typically play a lot of mini golf, basketball, and shuffleboard. We also try to watch different shows, but if we aren't entertained within the first 10 minutes we usually leave. We haven't been that impressed with Carnival and RCL in regards to entertainment, but they generally offer more games and such that we do like.

NCL seems to be more like our previous cruises, but for this I am wondering if it is a step up from them or more or less on the same level? I have seen mixed reviews on the shows and the food, so that is concerning. It does seem like the dress code is more relaxed, which is great for me, but I cant base everything on my refusal to dress up.

I know it isn't as upscale as Celebrity, but I don't always consider upscale to be better. I have been to fancy restaurants that aren't much better than Longhorn or Outback, but costs 3 times as much. That said, I haven't been a huge fan of the food on RCL, so if NCL is the same then I might want to give the Solstice a try.

So what do you think? Go with NCL because its more relaxed or try something new with Celebrity?

Thanks!

You don't go to Alaska for the 'fun ship' atmosphere and activities. You go for the history, scenery, and wildlife. If you think this will be the only time you go, you want an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay, and you won't get that from Celebrity (or RCL). Frankly, it doesn't sound like Celebrity is your kind of line, anyway. You need to sit back and assess why you want to go to Alaska. Think about the activities you want to do in the ports. Look at the ships in terms of itinerary and time in port. Go over to the Alaska board here, under Ports of Call and do some research. EM

You don't go to Alaska for the 'fun ship' atmosphere and activities. You go for the history, scenery, and wildlife. If you think this will be the only time you go, you want an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay, and you won't get that from Celebrity (or RCL). Frankly, it doesn't sound like Celebrity is your kind of line, anyway. You need to sit back and assess why you want to go to Alaska. Think about the activities you want to do in the ports. Look at the ships in terms of itinerary and time in port. Go over to the Alaska board here, under Ports of Call and do some research. EM

Yeah, Alaska isn't going to be like the Caribbean. We really are excited about Glacier Bay, but not sure about the other ports of call. Most of the excursions that we would be interested in a very expensive (relative to what we are accustomed to). I didn't notice that Celebrity doesn't sail through Glacier Bay. That IS a big deal.

As far as being our kind of line, I think you are probably right about me, but my wife might enjoy it more. I always want to be doing something on a cruise, but she is more in to relaxing. I usually win because I complain a lot, but in Alaska I am willing to relax and enjoy. I want to see the whales and orcas, and I want to see the glaciers.

thanks for the info!

99.9% of the time, I would recommend Celebrity over NCL. They are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum with me, as far as quality. I love the Solstice and I think it's one of the most beautiful ships on the ocean.

That said, the Jewel is going to Glacier Bay, NCL typically has better entertainment than Celebrity and what you said you were looking for in ship life seems to be more in line with NCL.

So that being said, for you, I would recommend the Jewel.

Based on your likes/dislikes it seems that NCL would suit you better than Celebrity. Our first cruise was on the Pearl to Alaska and Glacier Bay was a definite highlight. NCL's specialty restaurants, especially Cagney's, are comparable to chains such as Outback, Olive Garden, etc.

Glacier Bay is such an important part of any cruise to Alaska, I would go with NCL just to do that. You like to be casual and NCL is casual all the time (although you will need trousers and a shirt with a collar for Le Bistro and Cagney's) - other than that, jeans, shorts and t-shirts and windbreakers will work most of the time onboard. But an Alaskan cruise is nothing like a cruise in the Caribbean. It's not about what you do onboard, it's all about the ports and the scenery. Yes, the excursions are expensive, but they are also worth it. You might look at various travelogues of cruises to Alaska to see what this experience is really like:

http://www.technomadia.com/2015/06/phase-3-alaskan-2015-adventure-northbound-cruise-to-alaska/

http://www.bellevision.com/belle/index.php?action=headlines&type=433

http://www.davekozcruise.com/2011/logue.htm

Finally, I want to warn you that going up to Alaska and coming back down from Alaska can be in rough seas. it is best to come prepared with Bonine and Trans Derm Scops from your doctor just in case. You may not need it, but then, again, if you do, you will be awfully glad to have these with you.