Can you book a cabin not listed on the booking website?

EllieinNJ

I am interested in several 2017 cruises but when I did a mock booking, the cabins I was interested in did not show up on the left. I'm pretty sure they all aren't already booked at this time. If you call direct, can you book any cabin you are interested in that is available?

Yes, you can book any available cabin by calling. Also, the web site only shows some of the available cabins, but there should be an option for you to input a specific cabin number to see if it's available. I haven't booked on line in a while so I can't be more specific about that.

Edited to add: I just quickly tried a mock booking, and did not easily see any place to input a specific cabin number. Has NCL taken this away on line? Foolish if so. But do go ahead and call.

Edited by Turtles06

I am interested in several 2017 cruises but when I did a mock booking, the cabins I was interested in did not show up on the left. I'm pretty sure they all aren't already booked at this time. If you call direct, can you book any cabin you are interested in that is available?

You can call direct to see if the cabin is available, I had the same issue when recently doing a booking. There used to be an option to choose a room number to see if it is available when going through the booking process (which I LOVED), but it appears they've removed it. :confused:

I sent my PCC an email with my room choice, she confirmed it was available and I called her to give my payment information.

From what I could tell it looks like the option to pick a given room vanished when they did some changes to the website roughly 9 months ago. That was nice to have that ability.

Absurd that they've take it away.

Get out. They only show some? No wonder I was getting so frustrated finding adjoining cabins the other day. Live & learn! Thank you.

They seem to show less rooms overall as well - they list them as "recommended" cabins I think is the terminology. Prior to the change you could input a room number into a box at the bottom of the list they gave you and it would then either show as able to book or not.

The timing of that option went away roughly when they "upgraded" the website. One other big change was that if you picked more than two people it showed you the fares for the 3+ passengers right away vs. the way it is now where it then averages all people to the same price and then you have to get fairly far into the booking and click on the pricing details to see what the rate is for passengers 3+ (unless you kept track of it with 2 people and then with more people and did the math yourself).

Get out. They only show some? No wonder I was getting so frustrated finding adjoining cabins the other day. Live & learn! Thank you.

You have to go to some travel agent sites (which can't be named on here) to find a deck plan that will show you all available cabins. NCL doesn't show all, Celebrity U.S. doesn't show all (although I'm told the Celebrity UK site shows all)...etc.

The timing of that option went away roughly when they "upgraded" the website. One other big change was that if you picked more than two people it showed you the fares for the 3+ passengers right away vs. the way it is now where it then averages all people to the same price and then you have to get fairly far into the booking and click on the pricing details to see what the rate is for passengers 3+ (unless you kept track of it with 2 people and then with more people and did the math yourself).

I'm familiar with this "averaging" thing and it's another dumb thing they've done with their web site. Just show me the actual cost for EACH person!

From what I could tell it looks like the option to pick a given room vanished when they did some changes to the website roughly 9 months ago. That was nice to have that ability.

I believe that the reason the specific cabin booking function was removed was

that with NCLs program when you did a real or dummy booking that cabin

was removed from inventory for a short period of time giving the booking party

time to finish the details of the booking. If the booking party (or dummy booking)

was not completed in said time frame (I think it was 30 minutes) then cabin

was then returned to inventory. Thus it was possible to put a temporary hold

on that cabin until payment and a firm contract was established.

TAs have some discretion in holding cabins for their clients for 24 hours until

firm or alternative arrangements are made.

With that a 5 star cabin of prime interest could be kept out of the public

inventory.

So if you have a cabin you have been in before or one that is recommended

and are unable to book it at the time - keep trying - call your TA or NCL and

look into what the status is - is it actually booked or just on hold.

Yes the old method was great but prone to misuse probably unknowingly !

Any other explanations ?

Hi all,

(New to CC!)

I had the same issue for the Gem in March 2017 for my 40th out of NYC. I couldn't see the Owners Suite available online but if I went to the NCL mobile site on my mobile (cell) phone it showed all cabins. Strange why they wouldn't show them all.

I was glad (sort of) that I called to an offshore call centre to get it booked. They've allowed me to hold the room for over a week before the deposit is due.

Looking forward to my first NCL cruise, after doing Carnival out of Sydney!

I believe that the reason the specific cabin booking function was removed was

that with NCLs program when you did a real or dummy booking that cabin

was removed from inventory for a short period of time giving the booking party

time to finish the details of the booking. If the booking party (or dummy booking)

was not completed in said time frame (I think it was 30 minutes) then cabin

was then returned to inventory. Thus it was possible to put a temporary hold

on that cabin until payment and a firm contract was established.

TAs have some discretion in holding cabins for their clients for 24 hours until

firm or alternative arrangements are made.

With that a 5 star cabin of prime interest could be kept out of the public

inventory.

So if you have a cabin you have been in before or one that is recommended

and are unable to book it at the time - keep trying - call your TA or NCL and

look into what the status is - is it actually booked or just on hold.

Yes the old method was great but prone to misuse probably unknowingly !

Any other explanations ?

That's pretty grassy knolly and also makes no sense to me. The web site shows great cabins available, just not *every* cabin available. What you say could happen with a cabin not shown on the site can happen just as easily with one that is. A more likely explanation is that the web designers did a bad job. NCL's would not be the first less than optimum cruise line web site.