'Ship's time'?

GCS15/15

Hi,

A question posed by DS which I have no idea of the answer...

We are going to be travelling on RCL this summer around the Med, leaving from Southampton. When we get to (for example) Rome, the ship docks at 7am and leaves port at 9pm - this is apparently 'ship's time'. Is this GMT or BST or the same local time of the port? Is there a standard which all the cruise lines adhere to?

Would be useful to know as I'm just about to buy train tickets from Civitavecchia and may be an hour or 2 out...

Thanks

Ships time is the time the Captain says it is. Sometimes it is local time and sometimes it isn't. Totally up to him. That is why you will find SO many people that state - use a watch and not your phone. You will have notice in your nightly newsletter and will see it when you leave the ship. The vast majority of the time it is local time. That means if you aren't on a ship and it is 10:00 am for the locals, it is 10:00 am. Period. Again, this decision is made by the Captain so no one can really answer your question with 100% accuracy. However, if your itinerary says arrival time is 10:00 then that is usually the time you are going by.

We did the Med a few years ago on Celebrity from Barcelona to Venice, with stops in France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Slovenia. All stops were the in same time zone, and the ship time was the same as shore time.

I don't think so!

Greece and Turkey are 1 hour ahead of Barcelona and Venice.

quote=VMax1700;53124395]I don't think so!

Greece and Turkey are 1 hour ahead of Barcelona and Venice.

5202451-5png.png

You are absolutely correct. I pulled out my collection of the daily ship newsletters and your correction is exactly what they told us.

Geeze, I hate it when people give out the wrong information - ESPECIALLY when it is me!!!

Thanks for the correction!

And my apologies to everyone for confusing the issue.

Edited by SantaFeFan

In my experience in Europe the ships change the clocks to match the local time at the port they are stopping in

The Caribbean some ships stay on Florida time even though the time zone changes

which I think is silly but that is my opinion

Luckily the ships we have been on change to local port time

Before leaving the ship check with them & set your watch to match their time

Usually going from Southampton, the ships will tell you to put your clocks forward on the 2nd night at sea- and that's it until you return, when the clocks will return to GB time, whether GMT or summer time, on the next to the last night on board.

If you're heading further east, then the clocks will go forward the extra hour when you leave the Spanish/Italian area, and back that hour when you re-enter it.

It will be ship's time, which for all ports in the Med. will be two hours ahead of GMT. EM

Most ports in the Med are either one hour (e.g., Barcelona) or two hours (e.g., Athens) ahead of UTC (formerly known as GMT).

As with airlines, cruise ship Itinerary port times cited on cruise line websites and pre-cruise printed materials are always stated in local time. And it would be rare indeed for any captain of a ship in the Med to use anything other than that local time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

please not that all EU countries use summer time so in this period spain - france - italy - malta croatia Holland germany and denmark are gmt plus 2 while greece is gmt plus 3 same applies to turkey (gmt plus 3)

please not that all EU countries use summer time so in this period spain - france - italy - malta croatia Holland germany and denmark are gmt plus 2 while greece is gmt plus 3 same applies to turkey (gmt plus 3)

Of course, adjustment for European Summer Time (DST) needs to be factored in. But, the main point remains that pre-cruise published information (web or print) is "local time."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums