Wheelchairs or transport chairs?

uneamie

Recently I have been having some major issues with a bad foot but for some reason, it is not 24/7. Some days I get up and can walk around with little pain, other days it is hard to walk even to the mail box. It's an issue I can fix with an operation, or so they say, but I am not up to doing that at this time. In any case, I don't want to bring a wheel chair or transport chair if the ship ( The Breakaway ) has them for temporary use. For instance, I see that it's a very long walk from the ship to GSC island....that may be an issue for me. I hate to bring a small chair on board if I only need it occasionally.

Not sure what you are asking...? Perhaps bringing a cane or trekking poles would be helpful?
I thought I was clear.....does the ship provide wheel chairs for those or may need it? A cane will not work in my situation. Some people can walk but not walk long distances. I don't use one at home but I am not walking all over the place at home on a daily basis like one might on a ship or vacation.....so we do not own one but I was looking into one of those light transport chairs. I may need to consider it if the ship has nothing available for me.

Maybe others can help here. My understanding is that the ship will "rent" you a wheelchair for use . I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading from others that it is quite expensive. Call NCL directly and ask. They will have the best information. Good Luck.

The ship will only provide wheelchairs for embarkation and disembarkation.

If you don't want to bring a wheelchair from home, you can rent one from Special Needs at Sea and it will be waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive. I think you can choose a small transport chair if that's what you prefer.

It's better to have one handy if you need it than to be miserable sitting in your cabin because your foot is acting up on the trip!

The ship will only provide wheelchairs for embarkation and disembarkation.

If you don't want to bring a wheelchair from home, you can rent one from Special Needs at Sea and it will be waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive. I think you can choose a small transport chair if that's what you prefer.

It's better to have one handy if you need it than to be miserable sitting in your cabin because your foot is acting up on the trip!

Thank you for that information. I will definitely look into that.

Recently I have been having some major issues with a bad foot but for some reason, it is not 24/7. Some days I get up and can walk around with little pain, other days it is hard to walk even to the mail box. It's an issue I can fix with an operation, or so they say, but I am not up to doing that at this time. In any case, I don't want to bring a wheel chair or transport chair if the ship ( The Breakaway ) has them for temporary use. For instance, I see that it's a very long walk from the ship to GSC island....that may be an issue for me. I hate to bring a small chair on board if I only need it occasionally.

You can also post this on the Disabled Cruise Travel Forum. Others with mobility issues may be able to share their experience in getting off the ship and how they moved around the port,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I found that the company called ScootAround (also called Care Vacations) is majorly less expensive than Special Needs a Sea. For example, Special Needs will cost me $490 for a three wheeled scooter delivered to my pre-cruise hotel for 4 days then a 7 day cruise, leaving the scooter in the cabin. ScootAround is $290 for the same exact scooter and rental period.

Check them out, it may be a big difference for a wheelchair. However, at least here in central Ohio, you can purchase a transport chair for $50-60.

Rent one.

A transport wheelchair is lighter, easier to fold & store, etc. - get one locally from Walgreen, Walmart & Costco, etc. for $100 to $150 ... don't forget to check your insurance coverage. Make sure it support your body weight.

Cheaper to buy than rent one.

Walmart carries the Carex A336, which is made of steel, 19" wide, 300 lb capacity, weighs 25 lbs and is $82.82. Lighter aluminum chairs are about 20 lbs, but will probably cost more. Remember that someone needs to push you in a transport chair, they are not self propelled like a wheelchair.

Rent one.
Actually that is what I wanted to know...if the cruise line had them for rent so I didn't have to buy one and cart it from home. With 4 of us and luggage, we will have no room for a chair in our car. Renting one is my only option.

Walmart carries the Carex A336, which is made of steel, 19" wide, 300 lb capacity, weighs 25 lbs and is $82.82. Lighter aluminum chairs are about 20 lbs, but will probably cost more. Remember that someone needs to push you in a transport chair, they are not self propelled like a wheelchair.
Thanks...that's a very reasonable price. If I buy one I will have to consider how to get it to the ship since we have 4 people with luggage and literally no room left in the car.

GSC Great Stirrup Cay is a tender port, did you mean Harvest Caye?

GSC Great Stirrup Cay is a tender port, did you mean Harvest Caye?
Yes....sorry I get the 2 mixed up. One of them has a very long walkway but maybe it's longer in the pictures than it really is in person.

just a heads up: we did the Breakaway a few months ago, the walk to the ship is a bummer. If you are having problems, yes, do use some sort of walker or something, maybe a chair. We are going on the Pearl in a few months, and intend on using a wheel chair just for getting on the ship, if nothing else. Hubby has walking problems from time to time. We also may bring a walker with a seat for him, just haven't decided for sure yet.

OP, it appeared that you haven't sailed on the Breakaway - I strongly suggest checking your currently assigned stateroom location and deck plan, should your foot issues flare up around the time of your cruise, some of the corridors are rather narrow - especially when Room Stewards are out & working their staterooms. There are only 2 banks of "smallish" elevators - Fwd & Aft - and, they can get really, really crowded on embarkation/disembarkation day & immediately after muster drill, where it "seemed" like 1/3 of the ship's pax are gathered around O'Sheehan's and the Atrium lobby.

Contact the Access Desk & have them note your booking, even if you do not wish to use a scooter and/or a transport wheelchair - something for assisted walking could turn out to be very helpful ... like a Walker Rollator ... this one from Walmart is about $60 with tax, shipped free or local pickup. It folds & store almost flat - maybe you can fit one into your car along with luggage & 4 riders getting to/from the pier.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medline-Steel-Rollator-Walker-Burgundy-350-lbs-Capacity/37617768?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227027181905&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=43660437992&wl4=pla-83603988512&wl5=9004381&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=37617768&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

Special Needs get to wait & board at the far end of Pier 88 and usually go up the AFT ramp - those "Z" ramp are long & sometimes steep on incline due to tides ... crew members are available with wheelchairs to help with boarding & post-cruise on disembarkation.

If you are doing the Bahamas run with the tender stop at GSC, I am quite sure they used special/beach wheelchairs ... providing that you can get on/off the double decker tender boats ... other members of your party traveling with you will need to help you. Staying onboard might be a wiser & smarter choice.

I found that the company called ScootAround (also called Care Vacations) is majorly less expensive than Special Needs a Sea. For example, Special Needs will cost me $490 for a three wheeled scooter delivered to my pre-cruise hotel for 4 days then a 7 day cruise, leaving the scooter in the cabin. ScootAround is $290 for the same exact scooter and rental period.

If you rent a mobility device for delivery to your stateroom on NCL, it has to be rented from Special Needs at Sea.

Direct from NCL's website:

"Please note that Special Needs at Sea is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors will not have access to Norwegian ships."

Actually that is what I wanted to know...if the cruise line had them for rent so I didn't have to buy one and cart it from home. With 4 of us and luggage, we will have no room for a chair in our car. Renting one is my only option.

The ship does not rent them. Wwwspecialneedsatsea.com is one of your options.

Sent from my TM800A620M using Forums mobile app

OP, it appeared that you haven't sailed on the Breakaway - I strongly suggest checking your currently assigned stateroom location and deck plan, should your foot issues flare up around the time of your cruise, some of the corridors are rather narrow - especially when Room Stewards are out & working their staterooms. There are only 2 banks of "smallish" elevators - Fwd & Aft - and, they can get really, really crowded on embarkation/disembarkation day & immediately after muster drill, where it "seemed" like 1/3 of the ship's pax are gathered around O'Sheehan's and the Atrium lobby.

Contact the Access Desk & have them note your booking, even if you do not wish to use a scooter and/or a transport wheelchair - something for assisted walking could turn out to be very helpful ... like a Walker Rollator ... this one from Walmart is about $60 with tax, shipped free or local pickup. It folds & store almost flat - maybe you can fit one into your car along with luggage & 4 riders getting to/from the pier.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medline-Steel-Rollator-Walker-Burgundy-350-lbs-Capacity/37617768?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227027181905&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=43660437992&wl4=pla-83603988512&wl5=9004381&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=37617768&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

Special Needs get to wait & board at the far end of Pier 88 and usually go up the AFT ramp - those "Z" ramp are long & sometimes steep on incline due to tides ... crew members are available with wheelchairs to help with boarding & post-cruise on disembarkation.

If you are doing the Bahamas run with the tender stop at GSC, I am quite sure they used special/beach wheelchairs ... providing that you can get on/off the double decker tender boats ... other members of your party traveling with you will need to help you. Staying onboard might be a wiser & smarter choice.

thanks so much for all your information. I am pretty sure we are going to get wheelchair assistance when boarding the ship. I am also thinking about pruchasing one of the walker rolators. Hubby won't need it all the time, but may sometimes, depending on our cabin location which we do not know yet. We have a gty cabin plus we have bid on an upgrade.

We sailed on the Gem in 2015 and on the Breakaway in both 2013 and 2017. My husband has some mobility issues and we rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea for the three trips which was arranged in advance of the cruise.

For the first trip in 2013, we had booked a tour in Bermuda, and realized after seeing the scooter, that it would be difficult to lift the scooter into the van. I went to Guest Services to see if I could borrow a wheelchair for a few hours to use on the tour. I was told no - however, they did have a limited number of wheelchairs available for rental from Special Needs at Sea. We ultimately had to rent a wheelchair for an additional $150 and kept it for the remainder of the week. We were fortunate that the handicap accessible room was large enough to accomodate both items for the remaining 4-5 days. So we ended up paying around $300 for the scooter and $150 for the wheelchair.

For the subsequent trips, since my husband's mobility has worsened, we brought our own transport wheelchair and rented the scooter from Special Needs at Sea.

You can get wheelchair assistance from NCL for embarkation/disembarkation - but not for anything else. Also, we were not able to go to GSC because you need to be able to walk down 15 steps to be able to go on the tender.

If you rent a mobility device for delivery to your stateroom on NCL, it has to be rented from Special Needs at Sea.

Direct from NCL's website:

"Please note that Special Needs at Sea is the exclusive supplier for Norwegian Cruise Line and other vendors will not have access to Norwegian ships."

So is Scootaround, and they were way less expensive. Delivery and pickup in your cabin, same as Special Needs.

So is Scootaround, and they were way less expensive. Delivery and pickup in your cabin, same as Special Needs.

Scootaround is not authorized to place their equipment on NCL ships. If you rent from them, you'll have to pick up your scooter before boarding & return it to them after your cruise. With Special Needs at Sea, the unit is in your cabin when you arrive & you leave it there when you disembark.