Windstar cancels all Star Pride Itineraries through April 9

perditax

Ditto on the website and while you're at it, how about a real excursion guide for each cruise so we can print and sit and read it. Now we have to expand each Shorex tour and print. The new website with the cute icons also has to be expanded tour by tour and will only print the first page. Try it! Excursion planning should be fun! September on the Surf. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hello aldansam,

We’re sorry to hear of your disappointment with your brief experience on Star Pride and hope your meeting with the Captain, Hotel Manager and Chief Officer was informative in addressing your concerns and unique needs. Specialized service is the standard that we strive to deliver to all Windstar guests, we’re sorry that you ultimately reached the decision to disembark and apologize for the inconveniences for your family. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our valued guests as this is a very important step in continuously improving our product, training and service levels. Please be sure to contact our Guest Relations team at your convenience, they will be happy to hear about your experience and can correspond with you directly to help address your concerns and reach a satisfactory resolution. Guest Relations can be reached by calling 206-733-3005 or emailing Windstar.GuestRelations@windstarcruises.com. Thank you for getting in touch.

Hello Cruise Critic Fans,

Thank you for your interest in the enhancements to Star Pride which we are excited to share.

Windstar Cruises’ Star Pride Re-enters Fleet with $4.5 Million Renovation

Yacht Upgrades Debut Two Rebuilt Owner’s Suites and 12 New Triple Suites

on New 7-Day “Treasures of the Greek Isles” Cruise

Visit Star Pride Facebook album that showcases information and imagery of Star Pride’s upgrades:

https://www.facebook.com/WindstarCruises/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10153572351461717

On behalf of our ship staff and employees, thank you for sharing your thoughts and choosing Windstar! We appreciate your input and are working on improving communications with our dedicated fans who are the heart of Windstar.

Dear Windstar Cruises,

I hope that this message signals a new era of transparency. If you read upthread you'll see that just recently your agents were saying that the Pride had no enhancements, just repairs. So happy to finally have a message and pictures from WS after months of silence!!

We were among the affected and have booked 3 more trips on WS on the strength of many previous cruises. One coming up in August that we're very much looking forward to.

Very eager to hear the backstory on aldamsam's post.

Edited by milepig

As I stated in my post, I wanted to discuss the Pride's issues, which were in no way "unique", with Windstar management. I feel this is only fair to them. I have emailed them, and will submit photos and other media to demonstrate our concerns.

I thank Windstar for being forthcoming, and respect their willingness to rapidly address what turned out to be a difficult experience for my family. Executive management can be totally unaware of problems which carry catastrophic consequences, and customer feedback is critical for quality improvement.

Bravo WS, well done and what a great change. As everyone who reads CC WS knows we love the experience and now Seattle is coming onboard. I, for one, am happy that WS responded in such a timely and professional manner. After all with social media we do not know was " aldansan" earnest or was that perspn like the lady who blamed WS for buying an expensice rug while drunk.

ALdansan did use rather strong language as Milepig mentioned and name dropped in a rather entitled way but perhaps that person let the anger and frustration get to them. They did go from a ship of 200 to a ship of 2800 + and they were rather hesitant about going on a WS initially and many of us, myself included, encouraged them to go. Perhaps expectations were to high. Perhaps they realized that a small ship was. Ot for them they did admit of having 20 cruises completed. I really do not want to know the gory details I am thrilled by the response of WS and with this new administration WS will become more perfect. I hope in the end this person enjoys their trip. I am counting the days until May 2017. Happy Sailing Susanne

I did not see the post that was redacted. Quite honestly I want to give Windstar a chance to respond. So far they have been responsive and I am in contact with customer relations.

If I sounded entitle it was unintentional. If we went on a ship that carries 2800 people, our options were limited and Celebrity understood our situation and were more than gracious.

Now for those of you who wish to personally criticize me for leaving a cruise ship after a 4000 mile journey, please feel free. I have no interest in those comments. I understand people have loyalty to a company. That is fine. Attack me, and somehow you become no different than the bully in the schoolyard.

Aldansam,

I am guessing that one of the reasons for some of the reactions to your initial post is due to the lack of knowing what prompted you to leave the ship.

While it sounds like you felt you had a mighty good reason, it is difficult to sympathize without hearing at least short synopsis of what transpired.

Since most of those who post here are ardent supporters of WS, the common thread of standing in support of the cruiseline is understandable, I think.

I was personally on the Pride for the B2B just prior to them running aground. The bay where that occurred was extremely shallow and it was that beach where a Special Event was held to the delight of every passenger - even including the hunt for the camera (some 15-20 feet below surface) that a passenger lost on the 'tube-ride.' Of course there is no excuse for running aground but stuff happens and it is more how you deal with it that matters, maybe?

I have to say that I can see one or two reasons that would prompt me to have made the same decision... like having small children that might be endangered in a french balcony room... or having four people in a room that could not be accommodated comfortably and no alternative.

As you agree, WS has been quite responsive to date so I hope it all works out for you. Please tell us how it goes as we do all care.

Petenmarion,

Thank you for the reasonable reply. I told Windstar that I would not post about this even until the "executive committee" meets later in the week.

In terms of the issues you listed, it would be fair to say that at least 2-3 of our issues were far more serious. In fact, not even close.

In terms of Cruisecritic, I assumed that the site was for an exchange of information and ideas, and not as a rooting site for a cruise line. One post I found to be personal, vile, and someone has redacted it.

Somehow, were I to have understood that the WS contingent would react in this fashion, I would not have posted.

Please do not feel disillusioned by the comment of one or two posters. We ALL want to hear the good, the bad, and even the ugly so we can make intelligent decisions ourselves. That is the whole point as you said it should be.

We will be on the Star Legend in September for over two weeks and certainly do like as much info pre-cruise as possible... always. I personally arrange cruises for other people and would never suggest one that I had not been on myself... and I wouldn't go on one that I had not fully researched beforehand.

You were mighty lucky to have been able to do the Celebrity last moment - that is one of the only large ship cruiselines I consider now - and I really only stay away because of the amount of time it takes to get off in port.

As far as WS goes, I am a long-timer going back as far as Wind Song in Tahiti before the kitchen caught on fire and they sunk it for a reef after due deliberation. We were even there when it did catch fire (since we used to go every year) - saw the heart breaking scorched ship. If you get a favorable result from WS, I would suggest you take your better-half and the kids to Tahiti for the next trip of a lifetime - WS may give you a deal you can't refuse on the Wind Spirit... long trip from the East Coast but worth it!

I still would like the gory details, but am sure you are a man of your word.

Petenmarion-

Thank you so much for your kind words. Will be reposting after WS has a reasonable time to get back to me. Thanks for your suggestions about Tahiti- it is on my list of places to go before the kids head off to places by themselves!

Having sailed on Windstar and Paul Gauguin, I can say without hesitation that Windstar was a much more enjoyable cruise. I have not sailed them in French Polynesia, but should we ever return, I would choose Windstar. The Paul Gauguin cruise was in the bottom half of my cruise ranking, only bested by a RCCL sailing. It was mass market big ship food and service on a small ship. We had numerous issues, some which were never resolved to our satisfaction, one that they did at least try to resolve although by then the damage was long done. There were a few things they did very right, but even those could have been improved upon. Just the two cents of someone who has basis to compare.

Having sailed on Windstar and Paul Gauguin, I can say without hesitation that Windstar was a much more enjoyable cruise. I have not sailed them in French Polynesia, but should we ever return, I would choose Windstar. The Paul Gauguin cruise was in the bottom half of my cruise ranking, only bested by a RCCL sailing. It was mass market big ship food and service on a small ship. We had numerous issues, some which were never resolved to our satisfaction, one that they did at least try to resolve although by then the damage was long done. There were a few things they did very right, but even those could have been improved upon. Just the two cents of someone who has basis to compare.

We did WINDSTAR in Tahiti on the Windsong. It was pleasant, but nothing like the PG which we did a little over two years ago. In fairness do not know what their Tahiti product is like today.

ducklite,

What a shame to be in the most beautiful place in the world and be unhappy with the accommodation... since 1986ish we have visited Tahiti (Moorea) annually doing several cruises to extend island adventures. From land, the sight of the Windstar ships in either Cooks Bay or Opunohu Bay is a sight to behold... the PG not so much. The clientele on those ships are entirely different as well... we visit the tendering drop offs with every ship that comes in while we are there. Those coming off the Windstar are always smiling and happy to chat with 'islanders' and/or 'us.' PGers have a tendency to be more serious and less likely to have a casual attitude - maybe they are still jetlagged from the flight from France...

I've not done PG myself but probably will do it before my traveling days are over. I did do PG's small ship Tere Moana in the Med. and it was terrific so I am not sure why I wouldn't be happy with the big PG service but when you see the WS, it's hard to choose anything else... also did the Renaissance in Tahiti years ago before they sold the ship to Princess... no comparison when there are almost 700 passengers - but still for the right price I'd do Princess again over there.

ducklite,

What a shame to be in the most beautiful place in the world and be unhappy with the accommodation... since 1986ish we have visited Tahiti (Moorea) annually doing several cruises to extend island adventures. From land, the sight of the Windstar ships in either Cooks Bay or Opunohu Bay is a sight to behold... the PG not so much. The clientele on those ships are entirely different as well... we visit the tendering drop offs with every ship that comes in while we are there. Those coming off the Windstar are always smiling and happy to chat with 'islanders' and/or 'us.' PGers have a tendency to be more serious and less likely to have a casual attitude - maybe they are still jetlagged from the flight from France...

I've not done PG myself but probably will do it before my traveling days are over. I did do PG's small ship Tere Moana in the Med. and it was terrific so I am not sure why I wouldn't be happy with the big PG service but when you see the WS, it's hard to choose anything else... also did the Renaissance in Tahiti years ago before they sold the ship to Princess... no comparison when there are almost 700 passengers - but still for the right price I'd do Princess again over there.

I could be mistaken, but I think PG has sold the Tere Moana. I know there were a lot of diehard PG fans who felt lackluster about their TM cruises(s).

You are correct. They did sell TM to Grand Circle, I believe. While it was under PG, there was not so much advertising and they did itineraries that other small ships were doing in the same areas. On the two cruises that I was on - about half of the passengers were European and the other half mostly American - but the ship was only half full. I could see why many of them may have been less than satisfied... but that is mainly because that was their general attitude toward life in general (half-empty vs. half-full). We made our own great times with about 12-15 passengers and the crew, who were always up for a good time. Smiles go sooo far to make a win-win experience. We, in fact, were only booked for one week with a week in Perugia afterward. When we were asked if we would stay on for another week, we immediately said yes and gave our non-refundable accommodation in Perugia to a couple who was staying in Italy for another month... best decision we could have made.

These small ships are unbeatable! Another good one is Variety Voyager.

I'm booked on the Venice to Athens trip in late August on the Star Pride and I booked after the accident.

If it was me I would stick with the trip. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Are we any nearer to hearing how the Star Pride is, now she has been repaired and had renovation and refurbishment work done?

We are also booked on the August 26th Venice to Athens cruise and, having read about problems serious enough (but not yet elaborated on) for one party to recently walk off the boat and not cruise, we eagerly await the latest review.

Nothing has been posted on the reviews since December 2015.

'Looking forward to reports and reviews.

As posted on this message board, on WS Facebook and on the Avid Cruiser site the Pride is completely refurbished. We were on the Breeze in December we thought she was beautiful see my review. The three ships are now supposed to be triplets. We thought the Breeze was intimate, spacious, comfortable with the same fantastic crew and service that WS is noted for. Venice is one if my favorite places in earth; her majesty, her history, all the people who have walk her bridges, painted her, rowed in the canals, her light, fog like no other, and every where you look art. Sailing out of her to me is a thrill I anxiously await next May. The trip to Athens should be spectacular. Beautiful part of this earth. Have a great time. Don't worry. Happy Sailing.

Petenmarion,

Thank you for the reasonable reply. I told Windstar that I would not post about this even until the "executive committee" meets later in the week.

In terms of the issues you listed, it would be fair to say that at least 2-3 of our issues were far more serious. In fact, not even close.

In terms of Cruisecritic, I assumed that the site was for an exchange of information and ideas, and not as a rooting site for a cruise line. One post I found to be personal, vile, and someone has redacted it.

Somehow, were I to have understood that the WS contingent would react in this fashion, I would not have posted.

As far as I'd like to assume and hope, CC is to share advice, knowledge, recommendations and, to be fair, warnings and 'things to be aware of'.

I look to CC and TripAdvisor for this and not just 'Had a great time/This cruise was disappointing' posts.

Others' experiences are invaluable and useful eg. a ship not having any lifts/elevators; unsuitable for young children; cabin very noisy etc.

If you know there is a danger or an issue you are concerned about, prospective cruisers would appreciate your posts . . . . . . even those who are fans of a particular line or boat.

Have the courage of your convictions to share . . . . . . as you had the courage to act on them yourself. :)

"Silence gives consent."

Edited by cooee
Spelling error!

I looked at the pictures of the cabin on the Star Pride and they look very much like the cabin we had on the Star Breeze in May.

What I find curious is that when on the Star Breeze, I was told outright that the Star Pride was going to be renovated from hull out, including new plumbing and electrical. Maybe I'm not reading the PRs properly but that is not the impression I am getting. Does anyone have any information on this?

The reason I ask is because we had plumbing issues on the Star Breeze. All taken care of in a very timely fashion but it would have been nicer not to have them in the first place.

(If anyone wants to read details, I have a full post on my blog.)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the review link. Looks like they've addressed the problems. Nice to know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

At last we have a review from someone who has sailed on Star Pride since her refurbishment and repairs. Many thanks! :)

We still do not know what aldansam's concerns were which merited taking the decision to leave before she sailed.

Someone suggested there was a problem with mobility-challenging access, perhaps.

Someone thought they may have had small children and there were safety concerns.

Perhaps we'll never know . . . . . . . which is a pity.

The site IS called 'Cruise Critic' and is for sharing thoughts, worries, questions, advice, recommendations, tips, criticisms and praise.

Aldansam, did Windstar satisfy your concerns after their meeting?

• 7 months later...
What I find curious is that when on the Star Breeze, I was told outright that the Star Pride was going to be renovated from hull out, including new plumbing and electrical. Maybe I'm not reading the PRs properly but that is not the impression I am getting. Does anyone have any information on this?

The reason I ask is because we had plumbing issues on the Star Breeze. All taken care of in a very timely fashion but it would have been nicer not to have them in the first place.

When those 3 ships (Pride, Breeze, and Legend) were part of Seabourn fleet, they were notorious for having regular plumbing issues, to the point where the cruise director would make public announcements to remind guests not to flush anything other than toilet paper down the toilet. We Seabourn regulars were told that this longstanding issue would not be fixed since it would require a major overhaul.

Has Windstar finally taken the major step to fix this issue, or are there still regular or periodic plumbing issues on board?

Why would you bump a thread from December 2015 to ask a semi-unrelated question? I'm sure some will be confused now about the status of the ship's current sailings due to the thread's title.

I searched on "plumbing" and got this thread, so instead of starting a new thread, I asked a relevant question to the post by someone that specifically asked about plumbing. That post, incidentally, was from June 2016, not that old at all.

Please chill! ;)