Question about switching cabin keys and cheers

Canadianmama3

So we booked our march break cruise on the pride. We have two cabins, one for the kids and one for me and hubby. I'm on the cabin the kids will be in and hubby is on our cabin. I've read that after boarding we can get our keys switched around (so switching my key and my son's).

Now my question relates to the cheers program. Hubby is thinking of getting it because he likes some of the more expensive mixed drinks, and specialty coffees so he would likely save a bit. We didn't get it in the past because I don't usually have more then 2 or 3 drinks a day. Now with us being in separate cabins the thought is he could buy it without me having to. But would this cause a problem when we get our cabins switched around on board?

We aren't looking to share the package or anything like that. I would pay for my drinks. Just not sure if they would make me order it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is fine, your husband would be the only one required to purchase (and of course authorized to use cheers). You will just need to go to guest services and get extra "cabin only" keys made (you will have 2 cards, one for sign and sail, one for cabin key only)... it is common

Hopefully they make you get Cheers also, because it sounds like circumnavigating the system to go against the rules. Kind of not fair for all those that need to get it times two.

Wow that's kind of rude lol. We aren't trying to beat the system at all. We are a family of five and need 2 cabins. I need to be put on one and my hubby on the other.

It's a legitimate question. We won't be sharing it in any way. I would just like to know because it impacts our decision to buy it for hubby or not.

I guess if you don't want to buy 2 cheers packages then how about you pay for 2 cabins.

Wow that's kind of rude lol. We aren't trying to beat the system at all. We are a family of five and need 2 cabins. I need to be put on one and my hubby on the other.

It's a legitimate question. We won't be sharing it in any way. I would just like to know because it impacts our decision to buy it for hubby or not.

I guess if you don't want to buy 2 cheers packages then how about you pay for 2 cabins.

The previous poster's point was that if you and your hubby were booked in the same cabin you would both have to buy Cheers, it has nothing to do with having two cabins. You are taking advantage of a loophole but it is one that a lot of people take advantage of and it's up to CCL to patch the loophole if they wish to. If you only get a spare key for hubby's cabin you will be fine, but if you actually change to be in the cabin with him then they may (and I say may) make you both buy Cheers since you are then in the same cabin.

The previous poster's point was that if you and your hubby were booked in the same cabin you would both have to buy Cheers, it has nothing to do with having two cabins. You are taking advantage of a loophole but it is one that a lot of people take advantage of and it's up to CCL to patch the loophole if they wish to. If you only get a spare key for hubby's cabin you will be fine, but if you actually change to be in the cabin with him then they may (and I say may) make you both buy Cheers since you are then in the same cabin.

I get that if hubby and I were in the same cabin I would have to buy it. That's why I'm asking the question. If I'm made to buy it then we won't buy it for him.

My comment to the other poster was that it's pretty rude to say something like they "hope they make me buy it". Instead of saying something directly about carnivals rules. Don't get pissed at me because you have to buy 2 packages. We would have to usually as well and that's why we don't.

OK, I will get flamed. But what lesson are the kids being taught? It's ok to misrepresent something to get what you want? I don't know the answer but you might think about it.

Ummm excuse me? I'm not misrepresenting anything. We have to book 2 cabins and when booking we have to put an adult in each one. Meaning I'm booked in one cabin and my husband in another.

I'm not trying to get something I want. I'm asking a specific question about what the policies are. Not a way to get around them. If I know I have to order the package too then we won't get it. That's exactly what I was asking.

I think people here need to save their morality and lesson teaching lectures for those who think jeans are appropriate formal night attire. lol.

I'm not looking to break or manipulate rules. I'm asking what the actual policy would be.

I would buy the Cheers! package for your husband pre-cruise (it's $5/day cheaper that way), then just get an extra key to the room. Don't actually switch rooms -- they might not let you because you need an adult in each room, and if they do, they might force you to buy the package as well. To me, this is totally legit because you aren't trying to get anything for free; you are just trying to avoid spending an extra $400 that you don't need or want to spend.

Good luck and smooth sailing!

It has nothing to do with one cabin. Each adult had to book a room because the kids can't book their own. There is no loophole that is being taking advantage of as it's Carnival's own booking policy.

Ummm excuse me? I'm not misrepresenting anything. We have to book 2 cabins and when booking we have to put an adult in each one. Meaning I'm booked in one cabin and my husband in another.

I'm not trying to get something I want. I'm asking a specific question about what the policies are. Not a way to get around them. If I know I have to order the package too then we won't get it. That's exactly what I was asking.

I think people here need to save their morality and lesson teaching lectures for those who think jeans are appropriate formal night attire. lol.

I'm not looking to break or manipulate rules. I'm asking what the actual policy would be.

Don't let the moral police get to you. Nothing you are doing is wrong. As mentioned, I would buy Cheers for your husband ahead of time and save a little money. When you get on the ship just go to guest services and get an extra key for his room. Just remember that card will just get you in the room. You will have to use your other one for purchases.

I would buy the Cheers! package for your husband pre-cruise (it's $5/day cheaper that way), then just get an extra key to the room. Don't actually switch rooms -- they might not let you because you need an adult in each room, and if they do, they might force you to buy the package as well. To me, this is totally legit because you aren't trying to get anything for free; you are just trying to avoid spending an extra $400 that you don't need or want to spend.

Good luck and smooth sailing!

That's why I was trying to figure it out, because it is cheaper if he gets it ahead of time. But I didn't want to be in a situation where I would be forced to buy it because it makes no sense for me. If I knew I would have to then he wouldn't order it.

I think I will do what you suggest and just get extra keys. That way we can get into both cabins no problem.

It has nothing to do with one cabin. Each adult had to book a room because the kids can't book their own. There is no loophole that is being taking advantage of as it's Carnival's own booking policy.

Yes, I understand it's CCL's policy but to many it does appear like a loophole. And in saying taking advantage of I mean the same as in taking advantage of a sale (although some might believe that CCL is unfairly being taken advantage of, which isn't so because if that were the case CCL could change it's booking policy).

Here's the misrepresentation from your first post

We have two cabins, one for the kids and one for me and hubby.

So if someone asks your kids if Mom is staying in their cabin as booked, what should they answer?

Of course none of my business and I don't care what you do. But you did post on a public forum so you will get lots of opinions.

Here's the misrepresentation from your first post

We have two cabins, one for the kids and one for me and hubby.

So if someone asks your kids if Mom is staying in their cabin as booked, what should they answer?

Of course none of my business and I don't care what you do. But you did post on a public forum so you will get lots of opinions.

Are you kidding me? Yes one cabin is for the kids and one is for my hubby and I. But that is not how they are booked simply because carnival will not allow us to book the cabins that way. They must be booked with an adult in each cabin. And it is not my intention to make it appear like I am staying with my kids, or lie. So no I will not be asking my kids to lie. And the fact that is what you are insinuating when all I have done is booked our cabins in the way carnival makes us, and asked how that effects the cheers package is disgusting.

Are you kidding me? Yes one cabin is for the kids and one is for my hubby and I. But that is not how they are booked simply because carnival will not allow us to book the cabins that way. They must be booked with an adult in each cabin. And it is not my intention to make it appear like I am staying with my kids, or lie. So no I will not be asking my kids to lie. And the fact that is what you are insinuating when all I have done is booked our cabins in the way carnival makes us, and asked how that effects the cheers package is disgusting.

Canival made you?

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Ok. I get it you, you have you plan set. I hope you all enjoy.

Canival made you?

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

•  
  • Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

• Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

• Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Ok. I get it you, you have you plan set. I hope you all enjoy.

Yes they did. When you go through and actually book the cabins they put an adult in each one.

And the fact that you feel a need to make me look like I have "this plan" just to make you look better after your uncalled for and judgemental comments is pretty sad.

I asked a question about how the cheers program would work. The fact that you felt the need to jump in like this shows how pathetic you are. I suggest you find a new hobby other then judging people and making incorrect assumptions.

Let's just be blunt then. If you switch cabins to be with your husband and he wants Cheers! then, technically, you should have to purchase it as well. The POLICY states that all persons 21 and over IN THE SAME CABIN must purchase Cheers! if you are going to have it.

If you wish to NOT switch rooms, then your husband can purchase for himself.

Don't let the Judgy McJudgersons get to you... Carnival requires an adult in each cabin... you followed the rules.... Carnival requires that all adults in the same cabin (not Cruising party) purchase Cheers .... you followed the rules.... so carry on. Just get the proper cabin keys and enjoy your vacation and ignore the "it's not fair" crowd... too bad, life is not fair... sometimes you catch a break, sometimes you don't... enjoy

I would not worry too much. Just get the spare keys and you should be fine. I am doing something similar on one of my upcoming cruises. My brother-in-law and I like to drink. Both of our wives would never drink anywhere near enough to make cheers worth it for them. So we are booking us in one cabin and the wives in the other. We are then getting spare keys and paying by the drink for the wives. No rules broken and not spending unnecessary money.