Faroe Islands

LuAnn

I have just recently returned from an X cruise which included the Faroe Islands. I had no idea...until the last few days...that this culture annually harpooned and knifed to death hundreds of Pilot Whales each year in a ritual dating back hundreds of years. I will not describe the scene...as it is horrific. and it is no longer done for food...as these poor animals are so infected with disease they are not considered healthy to eat.

Shame on me...as an animal lover and activist...not to have known about this and I should have not given any of my $$ to this culture.

I have learned a valuable lesson. Never again...will I travel to a country that treats animals so poorly...and please...X...might you consider not including this port of call as a way of protest to this slaughter? I have been told that Disney no longer includes the Faroe Islands because of this barbaric practice and their disgust with the practice. As a loyal and long term X customer I would ask you to consider this same choice. Thank you for your consideration and compassion. LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

Agree with you 100% LuAnn. From what I've read about this ritual, I would not book a cruise or other travel that goes to the Faroe Islands.

Shameful treatment and slaughter of intelligent animals primarily for sport.

Unfortunately, the more one reads about the treatment of animals and people by various cultures around the world, the less places there are that you can travel to in good conscience.

This is horrible and sad.....I hope you are at least equally outraged at Planned Parenthood, and are planning to boycott the corporations that directly support them, as they kill innocent human babies and harvest and sell their body parts.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/21/meet-the-41-companies-that-donate-directly-to-planned-parenthood/

Edited by BillNY

This is horrible and sad.....I hope you are at least equally outraged at Planned Parenthood, and are planning to boycott the corporations that directly support them, as they kill innocent human babies and harvest and sell their body parts.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/21/meet-the-41-companies-that-donate-directly-to-planned-parenthood/

Even sadder that you get your news from sites like "Digital Signal".

"The full video of the lunch meeting, over two hours long and released by the Center for Medical Progress after complaints by Planned Parenthood, shows something very different from what these critics claim. Clearly, the shorter version was edited to eliminate statements by Dr. Nucatola explaining that Planned Parenthood does not profit from tissue donation, which requires the clear consent of the patient. Planned Parenthood affiliates only accept money — between $30 and $100 per specimen, according to Dr. Nucatola — to cover costs associated with collecting and transporting the tissue. “This is not something with any revenue stream that affiliates are looking at,” she said. Under federal law, facilities may be reimbursed for costs associated with fetal tissue donation, like transportation and storage."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/opinion/the-campaign-of-deception-against-planned-parenthood.html?_r=0

Even sadder still that you post your RWNJ nonsense on a cruise forum website.

I fully expect this post will be removed along with yours.

Even sadder that you get your news from sites like "Digital Signal".

"The full video of the lunch meeting, over two hours long and released by the Center for Medical Progress after complaints by Planned Parenthood, shows something very different from what these critics claim. Clearly, the shorter version was edited to eliminate statements by Dr. Nucatola explaining that Planned Parenthood does not profit from tissue donation, which requires the clear consent of the patient. Planned Parenthood affiliates only accept money — between $30 and $100 per specimen, according to Dr. Nucatola — to cover costs associated with collecting and transporting the tissue. “This is not something with any revenue stream that affiliates are looking at,” she said. Under federal law, facilities may be reimbursed for costs associated with fetal tissue donation, like transportation and storage."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/opinion/the-campaign-of-deception-against-planned-parenthood.html?_r=0

Even sadder still that you post your RWNJ nonsense on a cruise forum website.

I fully expect this post will be removed along with yours.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the animals were a bit thick, would it be all right? I've never quite understood the complaints about "beautiful animals" or "intelligent animals" being killed. Why does it matter how beautiful or intelligent they are, any more than it matters how beautiful or intelligent a person is?

Agree with you 100% LuAnn. From what I've read about this ritual, I would not book a cruise or other travel that goes to the Faroe Islands.

Unfortunately, the more one reads about the treatment of animals and people by various cultures around the world, the less places there are that you can travel to in good conscience.

There are a number of statements on this matter circulating on the Internet that in many cases are based on myths. I should not immediately defend the way pilot whales are slaughtered, but this is not just to beat whales to death as a sport - here are two link to independent articles that have a more nuanced view of the matter:

http://blog.ted.com/a-ted-fellows-documentary-on-whale-hunting-in-the-faroe-islands/

http://www.learninglifeslessonsthefunway.com/the-faroe-islands-whale-hunt-setting-the-record-straight

Edited by hallasm

There are a number of statements on this matter circulating on the Internet that in many cases are based on myths. I should not immediately defend the way pilot whales are slaughtered, but this is not just to beat whales to death as a sport - here are two link to independent articles that have a more nuanced view of the matter:

http://blog.ted.com/a-ted-fellows-documentary-on-whale-hunting-in-the-faroe-islands/

http://www.learninglifeslessonsthefunway.com/the-faroe-islands-whale-hunt-setting-the-record-straight

Very interesting links, thank you.

I don't eat whale myself, but I don't see (from that article) that it's any different from eating haddock; and I do that. There's no apparent conservation issue, so it seems to be just an issue of whether fishing for whales is worse than fishing for fish, or whether killing animals in public is worse than killing them in private.

Obviously all vegetarians will be opposed, as they are to all forms of animal and fish eating by humans.

I think its the public slaughting part that put people off, would people be so angry if they took them to a slaughterhouse instead?

I´ll admit it´s very strange sitting here in Denmark and watch our atlantic brothers and sisters go beserk on the beach but I respect their traditions and ways of living just as I expect them to do the other way.

It's not just the public spectacle, but that they're mammals, like us. They're kindred. Yes yes, I know, so are sheep and cows. As are horses. And dolphins.

It's interesting that it was the Copenhagen zoo who are the center of controversy with that giraffe. No denying that there's a certain hypocrisy in the whole topic. But I still support boycotting the Faroe Islands. I have no strong argument for it--only compassion for the whales.

It's not just the public spectacle, but that they're mammals, like us. They're kindred. Yes yes, I know, so are sheep and cows. As are horses. And dolphins.

Each to his own, I suppose, but to say "that man is wrong for killing a whale, now get out of my way while I kill this shark" is illogical. I can well understand the principle of vegetarianism that people think killing animals is wrong, but not the principle where killing some animals is wrong but killing others is OK.

Perhaps because whales seem to have a more nuanced social structure and intelligence above the average shark or cow? It makes them less a predator or prey as part of a food chain and more a "being" in many people's minds.

There is an abhorrent loss of life around the globe, for many reasons. Most incomprehensible to the rest of us.

Perhaps because whales seem to have a more nuanced social structure and intelligence above the average shark or cow? It makes them less a predator or prey as part of a food chain and more a "being" in many people's minds.

Exactly. It's illogical. You wouldn't base life or death decisions (eg. re. healthcare) for humans on the basis that the marginally cleverer ones get it all; the less intelligent can die uncared for. So why do people make that judgement for whales and sharks?

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, the whale hunt has long been traditional in the Faroe Islands. I don't travel only to visit places whose customs are the same as mine. Might as well stay home.

However, perhaps OP is correct. If you can't keep an open mind and meet new people and traditions without judging, it's probably best to stay away. I know for sure I wouldn't appreciate tourists coming to my country and lecturing me about our history and customs.