Bear sightings in Icy Strait in August without a tour?

cljohnst

Hi, all!

My boyfriend and I leave for our Alaska cruise in just a few days; we couldn't be more excited! We've booked most of our excursions. For ISP, we're whale watching with Glacier Wind from noon to 3:30 p.m. Booked them after hearing rave reviews here.

However, we're trying to find out how to spend our morning, from 9 a.m. to noon. We've already spent most of our budget for big excursions, so we're looking for something more simple/cost effective to fill the time. I'd love the chance to see some bears and other wildlife. Are there areas we can hike to on our own where this might happen?

Also, what's our chance of bear sightings this time of year? If I understand correctly, the salmon are pretty active right now, making our chances pretty good.

Also, also: if there's no way to hike to see salmon/bears on our own without shelling out money for an excursion, any other recommendations for spending the morning in ISP?

Thanks in advance!

No, you can't hike to the bear viewing areas. You need tours, which significantly increase your chances of viewing. Superior are independents who are on the move and can try several areas. The cruise line tour is one area.

However, we're trying to find out how to spend our morning, from 9 a.m. to noon. We've already spent most of our budget for big excursions, so we're looking for something more simple/cost effective to fill the time. I'd love the chance to see some bears and other wildlife. Are there areas we can hike to on our own where this might happen?

Also, what's our chance of bear sightings this time of year? If I understand correctly, the salmon are pretty active right now, making our chances pretty good.

Those of us who live in Alaska find the interest in seeing bears expressed by so many visitors to our state somewhat difficult to fathom. Bears are highly unpredictable and aggressive. We had one in our neighborhood just outside of Fairbanks one summer and it wasn't a fun experience. This summer there have been two fatal maulings -- one in the Interior relatively close to Fairbanks and the other just outside of Girdwood. Even if there was a salmon spawning stream on the outskirts of ISP I would never suggest trying to hike over on your own to see bears.

ISP is the facility in the old salmon cannery. The buildings have some historical displays and shops owned by Alaskans. No Diamonds International here. We were there twice in July and did see a number of orcas from the shore the first stop, but none the second. But we did enjoy excellent halibut in the restaurant in the long building.

At the exit of the old cannery there is a booth staffed with a person to answer questions about Hoonah and distribute a map. The booth is just past the Salvation Army small building (which sells great mini-doughnuts and coffee). The walk to Hoonah is about 1.5 miles. The paved path is along the ocean with some lovely views.

Those of us who live in Alaska find the interest in seeing bears expressed by so many visitors to our state somewhat difficult to fathom.

It's difficult to explain. After a 37 year career with the U.S. Forest Service and thousands of wild animal sightings I still get a chill up my spine when I see wildlife. Bears, mountain lions and bobcats are some of my favorites. I love observing wildlife in their natural habitat.

Some friends rented a vehicle and drove around looking for bears in June but didn't see anyway. They said it was a nice drive though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being that driving "around" on the streets is only a couple miles, I'm very surprised there was a rental available and they were give full of run where to go? Past the "town", it's only going to be logging roads, that are little more than dirt paths, with no signage. In my case, I'd be lucky to find my way back, easily getting lost :in the woods". :) :)

Being that driving "around" on the streets is only a couple miles, I'm very surprised there was a rental available and they were give full of run where to go? Past the "town", it's only going to be logging roads, that are little more than dirt paths, with no signage. In my case, I'd be lucky to find my way back, easily getting lost :in the woods". :) :)

They drove by Whitestone Harbor and walked some trails. Drove through the Tongass National Forest and by Suntaheen Creek.

Had the jeep for three or four hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums