Return visit to St Petersberg, ideas for things to do.

kevinyork

We were in St Peterberg a couple of years back and did a 2 day tour with a local operator taking in all the usual main sights. We are back again next May for another 2 days and are struggling to find something to do outside of the sights we have already seen.

Can anyone recommend trips that are not to the main sights that most people do on an organised tour with the main local agents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it would help to know what you HAVE done.

For myself, I'd like to see the Faberge museum, and the Impressionists, which are now housed separately from the rest of the Hermitage. Those were two items which we couldn't pack into our very full day.

We had a wonderful meal at Teplo, a "comfort food" but hip sort of restaurant. I'd highly recommend that. Reservations are required pretty far in advance.

I've seen Jewish heritage, cold war, and vodka tours (bar hopping?) advertised.

Did you go to the ballet? Ride the subway?

Contact the tour companies and ask them if there is a BDTD tour recommendation for someone in your shoes. A good company should be able to come up with an itinerary.

We were in St Peterberg a couple of years back and did a 2 day tour with a local operator taking in all the usual main sights. We are back again next May for another 2 days and are struggling to find something to do outside of the sights we have already seen.

Can anyone recommend trips that are not to the main sights that most people do on an organised tour with the main local agents?

Another vote for telling us what you have seen. Incidentally, my husband and I spent 2 days in St. Petersburg this past July after having spent three days there on an earlier visit so I know that you will have to do more work to fill your time than a newbie.

Here are two suggestions:

The launch of the Grand Cascade at Peterhof. (11:00 AM daily) You may have seen the fountains fully operational but the start up process is quite appealing. Of course, you'll want to do something else on the Peterhof grounds. That would be too long a trip just for the launch. If you haven't seen the interior, do that. Or visit one of the other smaller palaces in the park referred to as Peterhof.

The house where Rasputin was killed is both beautiful and has the interesting historic link.

Given that info, I still stick with my suggestions - Faberge and Impressionists.

I'm into food. I'd enjoy a cooking class, or shopping in a market.

And I still say contact the tour companies and see who is responsive about tailoring a different tour for you. Maybe get on TripAdvisor first and just search for things to do in St Petersburg. We found a Cat Museum that way that we incorporated into our day to keep the kids happy.

Hi! Yes, returning back you have to do more work to fill your time than a newbie.

We’ve been to Baltic twice so I know the problem. Some suggestions for your second trip:

1. If you have 3 days in St. Petersburg port go to Moscow on your second day. Believe me it’s worth the money. The Red square and Kremlin are just unbelievable.

2. Faberge museum. It’s comparatively new museum so I guess you haven’t done it

3. Usupov palace. It’s rather expensive option and many tour operators don’t include it in their itineraries. We haven’t seen it. We traveled with a kid of 5 and I decided that she is too small for the Rasputin story.

4. Matroshka doll master class and/or Russian style tea in a Russian family. It’s great for families with children but I have to say that even my DH enjoyed the process of Matroshka painting :D:D Traditional Russian pies were delicious…

Someone on this forum declared that it’s a waste of time. I totally disagree. If you are interested not only in history and architecture but in modern everyday life of Russians it’s a great thing to do.

5. Do so call “Citizen’s view” tour. It includes metro ride (some of the metro stations are unbelievable beautiful), visit to a farmers market, visit to an active church and many other interesting things which give an idea about everyday life .

6. If you are interested in politics and 20th century history ask for Political history museum. You also can visit Smolny (it’s a place where Lenin lived and worked)

7. Just relax a bit in a street café

Enjoy your time!!!

Jess :)

J

E

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody! Thank you Pet Nit Noy!

Yes, you’re right - I traveled with Brest Guides and the description of Citizens view tour you can find on their website. I’m glad my post was useful. One more hint – if you travel with children check their children page.

Good luck! Jess :)

• 3 weeks later...
We loved St Petersburg so much that my next visit will probably an extended stay to explore and savour the city in every possible way :)

Precisely my sentiments, Niagara. :) I first visited St. Petersburg via cruise ship and loved it so much that, armed with a visa & a good map, I have returned every year thereafter. There is SO much to explore that one can only experience during an extended stay. Hope you enjoy your next visit as much as I have enjoyed my visits.

Because I detest the transatlantic fight, I usually incorporate other European destinations into my itinerary - this way, I need only suffer one transatlantic flight.

For example ... this year I spent 2 months in Europe (including Russia) and also had the opportunity to explore Poland.

Dogs4fun, I am curious – did you limit your visit of Russia to StPetersburg (StPetersburg and environs, of course – who would skip Peterhof and Catherine Palace?) or did you go further east or north?

Hi Niagara,

Since it was my 4th trip to Russia, I have pretty much seen everything on my 'must see' list. This time, I again returned to Moscow & St. Petersburg (including several surrounding villages & islands) to see some of the more esoteric sites on my list. I will list what I can remember:

Took the helicopter ride in St. Pete, went back to Peterhof to visit the Cottage Palace (have now visited all of the palaces at Peterhof including the Church wing), back to Catherine Palace to view the carriage collection, Staraya Derevnya (this is amazing - it houses the collection of items that won't fit in the Hermitage & it is vast), St. Michaels Castle, Sheremetev Palace, Museum of Music, Museum of Theatre & Music, Marble Palace, Kronshtadt History Museum, Rimsky-Korsakov Apartment Museum, Gatchina Palace & Park, Priory Castle, Oreshek Fortress.

Also attended the opera in St. Pete & ballet performances at both the Mariinsky & Bolshoi.

That's all I can recall at the moment but the above, coupled with my previous visits, has allowed me to visit almost everything of interest to me in the city and its environs. On my previous trip, I visited Novgorod the Great & really thought it was interesting for a history buff such as myself.

Of course, I was able to sample lots foods as well as the local night life. Also shop at the supermarkets and malls that the locals use. Interesting and much, much cheaper than anything you find in the tourist shops in the city center. (actually bought a down jacket at the mall - very light weight, inexpensive & can be easily crammed into my overloaded suitcase - so glad I bought it otherwise I would have frozen to death on our visit to Auschwitz/Birkenau - very chilly on that day).

If you are a fan of Dostoevsky, I highly recommend the Dostoevsky Museum as well as the Crime and Punishment walking tour. Lenin's office (Smolny Historical Museum) in St. Pete is is worth a see (also Lenin's Mausoleum in Moscow).

Anyway, if/when you are ready for another jaunt to Russia, shoot me an email - there is enough there to satisfy every taste & I will be happy to share any info that I have. :)

• 1 month later...

If you are interested in history, go see the Alexander Palace at Tsarskoe Selo (in the same park as the huge Catherine Palace.). It was the primary home of the last Imperial Family and where the family was living when the revolution started. I was there in 2004 and renovations had just begun. Since then, much has been done.

Also, I would visit the Yussupov Palace -spectacular.

A canal cruise is nice.

Visit the Peter and Paul Fortress - where the Tsars are buried.

I love the market by the Church on the Spilled Blood - THE best place to shop.

Suggest you read Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra" before you go.

If you are interested in history, go see the Alexander Palace at Tsarskoe Selo (in the same park as the huge Catherine Palace.). It was the primary home of the last Imperial Family and where the family was living when the revolution started. I was there in 2004 and renovations had just begun. Since then, much has been done.

Also, I would visit the Yussupov Palace -spectacular.

A canal cruise is nice.

Visit the Peter and Paul Fortress - where the Tsars are buried.

I love the market by the Church on the Spilled Blood - THE best place to shop.

Suggest you read Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra" before you go.

I want to go and see the Alexander Palace. When I looked it up the web site said it was closed for renovation. Do you know or know how I can find out when it will be open for tours? I am going to St. Petersburg May of 2017 and it is one of the places I really want to see.

I want to go and see the Alexander Palace. When I looked it up the web site said it was closed for renovation. Do you know or know how I can find out when it will be open for tours? I am going to St. Petersburg May of 2017 and it is one of the places I really want to see.

I wasn't aware the entire palace was closed - I thought it was just parts. It has been undergoing extensive renovations for years. I will check and get back to you.

Just checked an it will be closed until 2018. The rooms of the Imperial Family are being restored and the buzz is the palace will reopen in July of that year to mark the 100th anniversary of the deaths.

If you are interested in Russian history, go to the Alexander Time Machine web site - amazing information and pictures.

Guess I know where I'll be going late summer 2018!

Edited by mek

I wasn't aware the entire palace was closed - I thought it was just parts. It has been undergoing extensive renovations for years. I will check and get back to you.

Just checked an it will be closed until 2018. The rooms of the Imperial Family are being restored and the buzz is the palace will reopen in July of that year to mark the 100th anniversary of the deaths.

If you are interested in Russian history, go to the Alexander Time Machine web site - amazing information and pictures.

Guess I know where I'll be going late summer 2018!

Thanks for the info. I went to the Alexander Time Machine. It's a great website. As I said before, we scheduled a trip for next year. We may need to go back in 2018 also.

Thanks for your quick response. If you hear for sure when the Alexander Palace is opening and its any sooner then 2018 please post it.

Again thanks Helen

Thanks for the info. I went to the Alexander Time Machine. It's a great website. As I said before, we scheduled a trip for next year. We may need to go back in 2018 also.

Thanks for your quick response. If you hear for sure when the Alexander Palace is opening and its any sooner then 2018 please post it.

Again thanks Helen

Even if the palace is closed, there are many things to see in the Alexander Park - the Children's House on the small island is not open but is fascinating to see. There is the pet cemetery and other points of interest - it really just depends on how much you know about the last Imperial Family and how deep you interest is. So many people go to Tsarskoe Selo and only see the Catherine Palace when there is really so much more.

Even if the palace is closed, there are many things to see in the Alexander Park - the Children's House on the small island is not open but is fascinating to see. There is the pet cemetery and other points of interest - it really just depends on how much you know about the last Imperial Family and how deep you interest is. So many people go to Tsarskoe Selo and only see the Catherine Palace when there is really so much more.

I know there are other things to see, but 95% of my interest is in the Imperial family. I have always wanted to see where they lived so of course I want to see the Alexander palace. The other places are on my list, but not like this palace.

Thanks for your responses and your input.

I know there are other things to see, but 95% of my interest is in the Imperial family. I have always wanted to see where they lived so of course I want to see the Alexander palace. The other places are on my list, but not like this palace.

Thanks for your responses and your input.

Is your interest in the Imperial family mostly limited to the family of Nicholas II or are you interested in all of the Romanovs?

Have you considered the following imperial residences:

Pavlovsk Palace & Park (Paul I) - I really enjoyed my visit - it's located just a few miles from Pushkin/Tsarskoe Selo.

Cottage Palace at Peterhof (Nicholas I) - absolutely enchanting

Montplasir summer palace at Peterhof (Peter the Great's original palace) - very interesting

Chinese Palace in Oranienbaum (Catherine the Great) - (also enjoyed the Grand Menshikov Palace) - about 6 or 7 miles from Peterhof - would probably require a private tour or Russian visa to visit as most tours don't offer this option.

Also, Catherine the Great built some pretty impressive palaces in St. Petersburg for her favored lovers. You might be interested in these.

Alas, so much to see and so little time.

Edited by dogs4fun

Is your interest in the Imperial family mostly limited to the family of Nicholas II or are you interested in all of the Romanovs?

Pavlovsk Palace & Park (Paul I) - I really enjoyed my visit - it's located just a few miles from Pushkin/Tsarskoe Selo.

Montplasir summer palace at Peterhof (Peter the Great's original palace) - very interesting

Chinese Palace in Oranienbaum (Catherine the Great) - (also enjoyed the Grand Menshikov Palace) - about 6 or 7 miles from Peterhof - would probably require a private tour or Russian visa to visit as most tours don't offer this option.

Also, Catherine the Great built some pretty impressive palaces in St. Petersburg for her favored lovers. You might be interested in these.

My main interest is the family of Nicholas II, but with that said I also want to see as many other palaces as I can. DH and I were looking at flights to St Petersburg and wondering if that would be a "better way to go" as it would allow us to visit many of the palaces in SPB and also at Tsarskoe Selo. Have any of you ever tried doing this? I see that there is a hotel right at the Catherine Palace. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My main interest is the family of Nicholas II, but with that said I also want to see as many other palaces as I can. DH and I were looking at flights to St Petersburg and wondering if that would be a "better way to go" as it would allow us to visit many of the palaces in SPB and also at Tsarskoe Selo. Have any of you ever tried doing this? I see that there is a hotel right at the Catherine Palace. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a Russian visa so I always fly into Pulkovo - IMHO, the only way to visit if you really want to immerse yourself in Russia. I stay for prolonged periods of time & I absolutely love it. I think that I have now visited almost every possible site in St. Petersburg, Novgorod, & Moscow that interests me.

I have never stayed in the suburbs (Catherine Palace) - I always stay in the heart of the cities.

You would need to obtain a Russian visa but, IMHO, it is totally worth the effort if you are interested in seeing as much as possible.

Edited by dogs4fun

Pavlovsk is interesting because many pieces of furniture salvaged from the Alexander Palace can be found there , although you have to know what to look for. Suzanne Massie has a fascinating book on the palace.

I have a Russian visa so I always fly into Pulkovo - IMHO, the only way to visit if you really want to immerse yourself in Russia. I stay for prolonged periods of time & I absolutely love it. I think that I have now visited almost every possible site in St. Petersburg, Novgorod, & Moscow that interests me.

I have never stayed in the suburbs (Catherine Palace) - I always stay in the heart of the cities.

You would need to obtain a Russian visa but, IMHO, it is totally worth the effort if you are interested in seeing as much as possible.

Have you been able to get to the new palace ruins at Peterhof? I understand there is a fence around the area, but I see photos from people who must get into the area. I would love to go down there.

All of this talk is really getting me in the mood to go back!

Edited by mek

Have you been able to get to the new palace ruins at Peterhof? I understand there is a fence around the area, but I see photos from people who must get into the area. I would love to go down there.

All of this talk is really getting me in the mood to go back!

You must really be into Nicholas II and his family. :)

Yes, we walked the sea path in 2014 and my friend pointed out the ruins of the Lower Dacha - it is surrounded by a fence & there really is not much to see. Pretty overgrown & littered with trash & graffiti - but you can still see parts of the brick walls and other architectural elements. The ruins are located overlooking the sea east of Montplasir & just a tad west of the Cottage Palace.

The Peterhof museum contains some of the artifacts & furnishings (I remember a piano) from the dacha. I've seen photos of the dacha taken during the reign of Nicholas II - must have really been something to see. Pity that it was destroyed.

You must really be into Nicholas II and his family. :)

Yes, we walked the sea path in 2014 and my friend pointed out the ruins of the Lower Dacha - it is surrounded by a fence & there really is not much to see. Pretty overgrown & littered with trash & graffiti - but you can still see parts of the brick walls and other architectural elements. The ruins are located overlooking the sea east of Montplasir & just a tad west of the Cottage Palace.

The Peterhof museum contains some of the artifacts & furnishings (I remember a piano) from the dacha. I've seen photos of the dacha taken during the reign of Nicholas II - must have really been something to see. Pity that it was destroyed.

I'm really just a history nut - crazy about all Russian history, but find the last IF especially interesting.

I was in the planning stages of a Black Sea cruise when all of the conflict started down there, so not sure when I will get to Yalta and see Lavadia.

Edited by mek