San Juan in the morning?

1bets1

Ah...no responses. I'm stuck on PR. I contacted the rain forest tour, and the man said it would be too tight. Is there anything to do close to the ship? Help me! I hate to book a cruise where one port is a waste.

The cruise I'm looking at (June 2016) will be in San Juan from 7:00 A.M. To 1:00 P.M. Any suggestions? It will be me and my DD, 25 yrs old. We love beaches, shopping, walking/hiking etc.

Shopping for a DD?

Then outlet stores of Coach and Ralph Lauren in the street Calle Cristo OSJ, along with others stores in the same street and surrounds (hilfiger etc).

Or, for a gigantic Shopping Mall on several floors, then Plaza De Americas

You may not have enough to time to visit the "Premium Outlets" Malls.

PS

DW just reminded that you may have time to visit http://www.themallofsanjuan.com/directions

Edited by PORT ROYAL

There is a really nice paved walking path that goes along the outside of the fort walls along the water to the base of El Morro. It's at the end of Paseo de la Princesa. It is one-way though so you have to go in and out the same way. It's a beautiful walk. We saw lots of cats and a few iguanas on the day we went. There is a gate into the city on the way, so on your return you could head in to explore old San Juan.

We are visiting at the end of August and have booked with Puerto Rico Paddleboard. We have never used them before but they have great trip advisor reviews. They were quick to respond and accommodate our time frame including rides to and from the ship. Just another thought...

Walk down to the forts before the heat of the day.

Actually, the forts are "up", but good advice to start early and beat the heat.

Take the free trolley up, enjoy the beautiful views from El Morro for a while, even if you do not go inside.

Then, stroll down, stopping at Coach, etc. for shopping, El Convento for a mojito in the courtyard, then lunch and a Pina Colada at Barrinchina, then back for sail away. The cathedral across from El Convento is lovely for a visit.

That is my normal port day in OSJ, and I have a stop soon with the same hours as yours.

There are plenty of better beach islands out there.

Indeed lots more to see in PR, but not on a short stop.

Actually, the forts are "up", but good advice to start early and beat the heat.

Take the free trolley up, enjoy the beautiful views from El Morro for a while, even if you do not go inside.

Then, stroll down, stopping at Coach, etc. for shopping, El Convento for a mojito in the courtyard, then lunch and a Pina Colada at Barrinchina, then back for sail away. The cathedral across from El Convento is lovely for a visit.

That is my normal port day in OSJ, and I have a stop soon with the same hours as yours.

There are plenty of better beach islands out there.

Indeed lots more to see in PR, but not on a short stop.

Thank you. Is the trolley easy to find? Don't fancy getting lost in PR either. :)

Thank you. Is the trolley easy to find? Don't fancy getting lost in PR either. :)

You can't get lost walking - forts at the top of the hill, piers at the bottom, sightseeing in between..

This is a great web site for info. If it does not load, just google san juan trolley

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

Will there be street maps when I get off the ship? The ones online that I printed are really too small. People are suggesting various places, giving street locations. A readable map would be great.

Will there be street maps when I get off the ship? The ones online that I printed are really too small. People are suggesting various places, giving street locations. A readable map would be great.

There is a tourist kiosk on the first street parallel to the harbor. Take a left turn - it will be on the water side. Free maps.

Old San Juan is maybe the easiest port in the world to just step off the ship and be at your destination. Forts, architecture, views of harbor and ocean, eats, shopping, churches, cats, pelicans, etc.

We did the 2 hour segway tour which visits one of the forts and the guide points out several things of interest and gives a brief history of the city. Oh and those segways are so much fun too! We did the 10am tour so still had time to get back on the ship before sailaway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old San Juan! See San Cristóbal fort, Casa Blanca gardens, puerta de San Juan, Cristo Street, see wonderful shops and have lunch or snack at Chocobar or any of the wonderful restaurants around( not Barrachina!) It is an amazing place!

Old San Juan is about much more than just the forts. Yes, the might be the biggest attraction but there are so many nooks and crannies too. There are a lot of interesting places and things to see. Walk the streets, ask around... There are historical landmarks and small museums strewn all over the place. Sometimes in plain view, sometimes not. For example, did you know that right next to Capilla del Cristo (Chapel of Christ) lies one of the 10 thinnest houses in the world! It's right where Tanca street end at the side of the Chapel. The Ballajá quaters and museum, the San Juan Cathedral (one of the oldest in the western Hemisphere), etc. It's also about the food. You'll find food from all over the world and all price levels in OSJ, especially local fare. There are quite a few "hole in the wall" with great food and awesome drinks. So go ahead, grab a map fron the visitors center near the docks and free roam. You'll love it. If you're into photography you are in for a big treat.