Can you "rebook" pre-booked excursions once onboard using OBC?

Ken the cruiser

We would like pre-book our excursions on our upcoming cruise to make sure we get the ones we want. Our question is this? Once onboard can we go to the excursions desk and "rebook" those excursions using some of our OBC without losing our seats on the excursions? Why we are asking is because we recently cruised on HAL and their policy is to send you to the end of the line if you rebook onboard. So if there is a waiting list for a particular excursion, you're pretty much out of luck. Our TA is saying that is not the case with Oceania, but we thought we'd ask those that have tried this tactic before. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious how much experience your TA has booking Oceania?

I've heard of people that have done this, but I'm pretty sure the situation on board is as you've described HAL.

If you really want the excursions take that as your perk instead of the OBC. If you're wanting to do the excursions it's generally a better deal moneywise than the OBC.

If you're only wanting to do one or two ship's excursions and use the rest of your OBC for other stuff then that's a different story.

we rarely book ship's tours

The one we really wanted to do we paid upfront for it but when onboard found out it was sold out so did not bother trying to switch it to use the OBC

If it is something you really want to do just pay upfront

Once onboard ask if it is possible to get it changed to use your OBC ..if they can do it GREAT

if not you still have the tour & you just need to spend the OBC in other ways

JMO

Lyn

One does get sent to the back of the line on Oceania as on HAL, but there is an advantage to booking Excursions ahead in that, particularly on the R ships, there is more of a chance of an Excursion getting cancelled for lack of interest than there is in having a desired Excursion sell out.

The exception which makes this Rule is that If your cruise features Olife, then there is naturally more of an interest in Shore Excursions in general.

We just booked a B2B in May 2018 to visit Cuba twice. We had been booked on the Pearl Seas 11 day cruise for over a year, but once Cuba finally gave the go-ahead and everyone started setting up cruises to Cuba with much cheaper rates, we jumped ship over to Oceania especially since they go to the same 3 ports as Pearl Seas did.

For us we're definitely taking the OLife excursion option. However, a solo passenger friend of ours that is cruising with us in a separate veranda for both legs of the 16 day cruise has to of course pay the double fare, but either gets $800 in OBC or 4 excursions where as we get $800 in OBC or 8 excursions. Since she is paying the exact same fare as we are, it seems kind of unfair that she only gets 4 excursions. Then when you add on the $700 our TA is giving her (and us), she's going to have quite a bundle if she chooses the OBC option.

That's the underlying reason why I'm asking this question.

We just booked a B2B in May 2018 to visit Cuba twice. We had been booked on the Pearl Seas 11 day cruise for over a year, but once Cuba finally gave the go-ahead and everyone started setting up cruises to Cuba with much cheaper rates, we jumped ship over to Oceania especially since they go to the same 3 ports as Pearl Seas did.

For us we're definitely taking the OLife excursion option. However, a solo passenger friend of ours that is cruising with us in a separate veranda for both legs of the 16 day cruise has to of course pay the double fare, but either gets $800 in OBC or 4 excursions where as we get $800 in OBC or 8 excursions. Since she is paying the exact same fare as we are, it seems kind of unfair that she only gets 4 excursions. Then when you add on the $700 our TA is giving her (and us), she's going to have quite a bundle if she chooses the OBC option.

That's the underlying reason why I'm asking this question.

Then it would seem a no brainer for her to take the 4 shore excursions instead of the OBC. That should cover all 3 Cuba ports visited on first cruise and the $700 could be spent on other things (or additional excursions).

She can prebook some additional tours and then change them if they are not waitlisted once onboard to use OBC.

Also, investigate the possibility of booking it as 2 separate cruises and thus get 4 shore excursions for each cruise (provided the cost is same or better booking that way).

Edited by Paulchili

Then it would seem a no brainer for her to take the 4 shore excursions instead of the OBC. That should cover all 3 Cuba ports visited on first cruise and the $700 could be spent on other things (or additional excursions).

She can prebook some additional tours and then change them if they are not waitlisted once onboard to use OBC.

Also, investigate the possibility of booking it as 2 separate cruises and thus get 4 Cuban shore excursions for each cruise (provided the cost is same or better booking that way).

Good points. We checked and there is a 5% discount for hooking cruises which equals around $300. So going through the hassle of rebooking may not be an option. However, taking the 2 excursions per leg means she would only have to pay for 4 excursions as there are 2 days in Havana on each leg. So, taking the excursions option, pre-booking all the excursions, then seeing which ones aren't wait listed once she gets on board makes a lot of sense!

One question a little bit off subject. Does anyone know if a solo passenger has to pay double for gratuities ($32 per day) like a couple occupying one room does or do they hopefully just pay the single rate of $16 per day. That $256 difference may help pay for a few of those extra excursions.

Good points. We checked and there is a 5% discount for hooking cruises which equals around $300. So going through the hassle of rebooking may not be an option. However, taking the 2 excursions per leg means she would only have to pay for 4 excursions as there are 2 days in Havana on each leg. So, taking the excursions option, pre-booking all the excursions, then seeing which ones aren't wait listed once she gets on board makes a lot of sense!

One question a little bit off subject. Does anyone know if a solo passenger has to pay double for gratuities ($32 per day) like a couple occupying one room does or do they hopefully just pay the single rate of $16 per day. That $256 difference may help pay for a few of those extra excursions.

Not 100% certain but I believe the gratuity is per person, not per cabin. So - your friend should pay only one gratuity (just like she only gets 4 excursions and not 8).

If that is not the case I would have a major issue with that - one excursion benefit = one gratuity.

Use your "free" excursions for the most expensive ones (that are eligible for free excursions). If your friend is able to exchange pre-paid excursions for the OBC, the refund is in cash (actually refundable OBC = cash)

Just a note on pre-booking excursions vs. booking on board. If you book on board you cannot get the benefit of the 25% "Your World" discount that you can get if you book in advance. So, if you're planning on booking the minimum number of excursions required to qualify for "Your World" (which I believe is 5 for a 10-14 day cruise) then you'll save 25% by booking in advance rather than waiting to use your OBC. I'm pretty sure that if you booked in advance with the intention of cancelling and re-booking once on board using OBC you'll also lose the benefit of the 25% "Your World" discount. In fact, the fine print specifically states that Unlimited Collection and "Your World" cannot be cancelled for a refund once on board.

Just a note on pre-booking excursions vs. booking on board. If you book on board you cannot get the benefit of the 25% "Your World" discount that you can get if you book in advance. So, if you're planning on booking the minimum number of excursions required to qualify for "Your World" (which I believe is 5 for a 10-14 day cruise) then you'll save 25% by booking in advance rather than waiting to use your OBC. I'm pretty sure that if you booked in advance with the intention of cancelling and re-booking once on board using OBC you'll also lose the benefit of the 25% "Your World" discount. In fact, the fine print specifically states that Unlimited Collection and "Your World" cannot be cancelled for a refund once on board.

Thanks Gogie! that is definitely good info to know.

Even booking onboard you will get YW discount if you book the required minimum but it is only 15% vs 25% for pre-booking.

YW excursions cannot be cancelled but can be changed and exchanged for OBC booking (if available).

We've come up with a new game plan as we found out from Oceania their excursions, at least in Havana, run between $50 - $120. Since we will be flying down from Alabama the day before and better for us to book our own flights, we figure it would be best to rebook with the "cruise only" fare as it's $400 cheaper pp (image that) and then use the savings to pre-book our excursions online and get the full Your World discount. Not sure why we didn't think of that before. I guess I'm getting slower in my old age. :) I'm pretty sure we'll still get free internet as we are booked in an A1 room. Any downside we're missing by booking with the "cruise only" fare?

We've come up with a new game plan as we found out from Oceania their excursions, at least in Havana, run between $50 - $120. Since we will be flying down from Alabama the day before and better for us to book our own flights, we figure it would be best to rebook with the "cruise only" fare as it's $400 cheaper pp (image that) and then use the savings to pre-book our excursions online and get the full Your World discount. Not sure why we didn't think of that before. I guess I'm getting slower in my old age. :) I'm pretty sure we'll still get free internet as we are booked in an A1 room. Any downside we're missing by booking with the "cruise only" fare?

Free internet is part of O Life benefit and not of A1 benefit

Free internet is part of O Life benefit and not of A1 benefit

That has neither been my understanding nor experience. For example if you look at the perk description of either an A1, A2 or A3 on the website, one of the perks is "Free Internet starting Winter 2015-16*".

That has neither been my understanding nor experience. For example if you look at the perk description of either an A1, A2 or A3 on the website, one of the perks is "Free Internet starting Winter 2015-16*".

also states

Internet Packages

For cruise-only guests, several packages are available to suit a range of usage preferences. See details to the right. Oceania Club members should refer to their membership benefits for special discounts

Internet packages may be purchased on board by visiting the Oceania@Sea Internet Center or by simply logging on through a WiFi-enabled device.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet/

bolding is mine

I think Concierge cabins may get 200 free minutes

also states

Internet Packages

For cruise-only guests, several packages are available to suit a range of usage preferences. See details to the right. Oceania Club members should refer to their membership benefits for special discounts

Internet packages may be purchased on board by visiting the Oceania@Sea Internet Center or by simply logging on through a WiFi-enabled device.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet/

bolding is mine

I think Concierge cabins may get 200 free minutes

Thanks. We just got out new confirmation using the "cruise only" option, and the Internet perk description changed from "OLife Internet" to "Concierge Internet". You had me worried there for a minute. :)

Thanks. We just got out new confirmation using the "cruise only" option, and the Internet perk description changed from "OLife Internet" to "Concierge Internet". You had me worried there for a minute. :)

What does the concierge internet consist of ??

We have has the free internet options with our last few cruises

I should have been more specific. It is the UNLIMITED internet that is part of O Life. You may get 200? minutes with A1.

BTW, 200 minutes, if that si what you get, doesn't go very far :)

What does the concierge internet consist of ??

We have has the free internet options with our last few cruises

Here's what is listed in the Terms and Conditions. Not sure what the breakdown is with regards to "length of voyage", but I'm sure it's fair.

FREE INTERNET

*Standard terms apply, in addition: Free Internet is one per stateroom and applies to Concierge Level Staterooms and higher. Concierge Level Staterooms and Penthouse Suites receive between 200 and 500 minutes of usage, or equivalent data amount, depending on length of voyage. Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites receive unlimited usage. Visit OceaniaCruises.com/Internet for more details. Not all promotions are combinable.