New Ships

babs135

With the proliferation of new ships but nothing bearing the Cunard name (?) is the brand in danger of living purely on its name and nothing else? Certainly the people who travel on the Queen Mary 2 tend to be of the more mature age (although on our most recent trip there were more children than I can ever remember) and therefore who will replace them when they are no longer able to travel?

I would hate for Cunard/QM2 to disappear (perish the thought) but is there a future for her in an ever increasingly competitive market?

BTW I'm prepared to continue sailing on her into the future, but then sadly I fit into the mature of age category (but young at heart)

This post is purely for conversation and not intended to upset people.

Are you asking about a replacement for QM2 or another ship to join the 3 in the Cunard fleet already ?

Either way, they are already a fairly young fleet so I wouldn't expect a replacement for any of them anytime soon. As for expansion, who knows but there is already more to Cunard than QM2 !

Hattie, I would like to see another ship with a slightly more relaxed approach. I don't mean zip lines, water chutes etc, there are plenty of ships out there catering for people who like that sort of thing. Perhaps one that does away with formal nights (ducks behind wall to avoid flying objects) and more varied itineraries.

Re dress code. I enjoy the formal nights, there is something special about the QM2 when everyone is dressed in their finery, but I can also understand that some people are on holiday and don't want the hassle.

I'll open the floor to others.

I, too, would love to see another ship in the Cunard fleet especially since it would allow for more itineraries. North America [and South America for that matter] is basically ignored by Cunard other than the QM2 so it would be nice to have more options. Perhaps an RMS Queen Anne?

As far as formal dress, it is one of the hallmarks of Cunard Line and truly sets it apart from the competition. As HostHattie mentioned, the OP may enjoy Holland America Line for more relaxed, yet still traditional, experience. They are also an old, storied line with a lot of history but allow for a bit less formal onboard experience. Take away the dress code, lecturers, and afternoon tea in the Queens Room and HAL is, as many others have said, basically "Cunard Lite".

My feeling is, like those opinions expressed already, that the formality etc is Cunard's USP and without it they are just another cruise line offering the same as all the others. I believe there is a cruise line to fit everyone and people just need to find the one that fits them.

As for the suggestion that the customer base is basically dying out, I think there are plenty of younger people who will fill their spaces as they find that what they want is a more sophisticated holiday with plenty of chance to dress up, etc. Ten years ago I would not have considered a cruise on any line - I was still holidaying with our children and could not have afforded it. Now we are past that stage and are booked for our 14th and 15th cruises and still only in our mid fifties. I think as people mature they look for different things in their holiday and there will be many who will find Cunard perfect for them in the future too. We meet plenty of people on-board (particularly on QE or QV) of our age so I hope we won't be dying out too soon!!!

Interesting comments so far. Should point out that our DD has sailed with Cunard three times now and absolutely loves it and hopefully she will continue to do so even after we have hung up our cruising clothes. I just wondered if there was still an appetite among younger people to dress up.

The dress code on our last two cruises was adhered to by any large but I think I saw more people 'incorrectly' dressed than in the past. It does slightly jar when most people are in evening wear and others are running around in denims/track suits, etc

But it's not just the dress code, it's about itineraries. Would love Cunard to do Alaska. Anyone know why they don't offer this? I'm sure they would have no problems filling a ship.

Edited by babs135

I'm 22 and went on my first Cunard cruise last year. There were quite a few things that I liked but also quite a lot of things that I didn't like.

I don't think I would chose Cunard again, the dress code was okay but it being shipwide after 6pm was really annoying and there was so little to do on the ship compared to NCL/royal. Not just in terms of facilities onboard but the daily events going on were just non existent.

I do think they're gorgeous ships but I really don't think the younger generation will take them up when the regular cunarders die (no offence!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not just in terms of facilities onboard but the daily events going on were just non existent.

I think there is plenty going on during the day but I would not have thought so at age 22!;)

Glad you found things you liked about Cunard but I agree, it is not really geared for the younger set.

I, too, would love to see another ship in the Cunard fleet especially since it would allow for more itineraries. North America [and South America for that matter] is basically ignored by Cunard other than the QM2 so it would be nice to have more options. Perhaps an RMS Queen Anne?

As far as formal dress, it is one of the hallmarks of Cunard Line and truly sets it apart from the competition. As HostHattie mentioned, the OP may enjoy Holland America Line for more relaxed, yet still traditional, experience. They are also an old, storied line with a lot of history but allow for a bit less formal onboard experience. Take away the dress code, lecturers, and afternoon tea in the Queens Room and HAL is, as many others have said, basically "Cunard Lite".

Well said, Bostonjetset! My feelings exactly.

I think there is plenty going on during the day but I would not have thought so at age 22!;)

Glad you found things you liked about Cunard but I agree, it is not really geared for the younger set.

Ha ha. Not really, nethertheless it was still a lovely relaxing cruise.

I'm not interested in ball room dancing or puzzles though, far cry from the rock climbing walls I'm used to! :)

That's a bit sad. I first sailed Cunard as a child and my first time on QE2 I was 21, sailing alone, and it was anything but stuffy and formal. The Queen's Room was formal with ballroom type dancing but the 736 Club was pure Rock n Roll. As I have aged, I find QM2 more my style but I agree it should have a more varied ambiance if Cunard wish to attract 20 somethings. But then, there are already thousands who have sailed Cunard for the first time post QE2.

Edited by Jim Avery

I've often thought that Carnival should combine Cunard and HAL into a single operating company with two separate brands. Of all the brands out there, they are most similar. Both with deep histories and traditions and passengers who appreciate such things. Also, the QE & QV are modified Vista hulls shared with most of the HAL fleet.

They could keep the brands separate. Each line would set their policies, so Cunard might still keep its dress code and seating policy while HAL would continue to provide the more flexible dining options and looser dress code. (There would likely need to be some adjustment with Pinnacle Grill to level with Cunard Grill categories)

WIth the merged loyalty programs, Cunard members would have extra access to the wide variety of itineraries and ships offered by HAL and it would be easier for HAL cruisers to try the unique Cunard experience.

Edited by MarkBearSF

My point is that Cunard do not need to attract the 20 somethings.

People change in what they want as they grow older. At 20 or 30 I would never considered a Cunard type cruise or ballroom dancing. Not in a million years. My parents cruised occasionally and I couldn't understand the attraction.

However, now I wouldn't want to do anything else. And for me it would have to be Cunard if at all possible because of the formality. What is more - I have been learning to ballroom dance for the last three years with my husband and we love it!

As people grow older they want different things and there are plenty who will go for a sophisticated, formal and more intellectual offering like Cunard when they might have gone for zip wires, climbing walls and water slides when they were younger.

I believe that as long as Cunard offer the product they currently do, there will be plenty of people wanting to cruise with them. Particularly as the ship's are relatively small. Change the product and they will lose their customer base as there would be no reason to choose Cunard over any other cruise line.

Hattie, I would like to see another ship with a slightly more relaxed approach. I don't mean zip lines, water chutes etc, there are plenty of ships out there catering for people who like that sort of thing. Perhaps one that does away with formal nights (ducks behind wall to avoid flying objects) and more varied itineraries.

Re dress code. I enjoy the formal nights, there is something special about the QM2 when everyone is dressed in their finery, but I can also understand that some people are on holiday and don't want the hassle.

I'll open the floor to others.

Why would Cunard wish to offer something that every other line offers. Cunard is Cunard because they do not offer relaxed uber casual attire and the resulting atmosphere and actions of the passengers. All lines cross the oceans, all lines do the Caribbean and all lines do the Med and all lines do the Asian market so I am sure you can find one that suits your need for casual and you can take along a Cunard bag and pretend you are on a fine Cunard ship.

I'm 22 and went on my first Cunard cruise last year. There were quite a few things that I liked but also quite a lot of things that I didn't like.

I don't think I would chose Cunard again, the dress code was okay but it being shipwide after 6pm was really annoying and there was so little to do on the ship compared to NCL/royal. Not just in terms of facilities onboard but the daily events going on were just non existent.

I do think they're gorgeous ships but I really don't think the younger generation will take them up when the regular cunarders die (no offence!)

BY the time the current Cunard passenger consist passes away at 100 plus years of age you my dear will be well into your 50's and possibly will have found that culture rather than a hairy leg contest or a classical concert at tea time is more to your liking. In the mean time NCL has a million ships and they need your business.

I have only been on QM2 once but I would not like the style of cruising to change. I loved it.

I wanted to go on it because it is a unique liner and offers something different.

It also only comes my way once a year maybe!

Before going other people kept saying to me "but don't you have to dress up every night".

My thought was so what? On Princess, RCCL etc I always change for dinner as per suggested dress code (casual, smart casual, cocktail). So in reality how was this different?

There are so many other choices out there if Cunard is not your style.

Babs: Thanks for starting this thread. Interesting. IMHO, Cunard need not worry too much about attracting younger people. They do, in small and consistent numbers. Some other lines (no need to name them) need to worry more about this issue as their customers skew above age 80 and die on board. I seriously wonder how they will survive, unless it is possible to always replace the the super-old with the next group who enter the super-old category. Full disclosure: I'm way into senior citizenry, but I do prefer cruise lines that make some way for youth and think it's questionable business practice to be super old fashioned so that they are positively creepy. Cunard is not in this category, IMHO.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cunard really is special. There is that 'moment' after 6 pm when people disappear and then reappear dressed in their finery. It's almost like being on another ship as the whole atmosphere changes to one of pure elegance and I wouldn't want to change it one little bit. Five voyages on the Queen Mary 2 have shown my how much I enjoy the dressing up.

However, the idea of another ship in the line, but one that allows a slightly more relaxed dress code may well encourage those people to 'step up to the mark' and try the other three ships in the fleet. Add into the mix a more varied itinerary and could Cunard be onto a winner?

I would still keep some of what is already on Cunard, eg Guest Speakers, dance lessons etc as I suspect they are also part of the reason why people return time and time again to the brand.

There is no doubt in my mind that Cunard really is special. There is that 'moment' after 6 pm when people disappear and then reappear dressed in their finery. It's almost like being on another ship as the whole atmosphere changes to one of pure elegance and I wouldn't want to change it one little bit. Five voyages on the Queen Mary 2 have shown my how much I enjoy the dressing up.

However, the idea of another ship in the line, but one that allows a slightly more relaxed dress code may well encourage those people to 'step up to the mark' and try the other three ships in the fleet. Add into the mix a more varied itinerary and could Cunard be onto a winner?

I would still keep some of what is already on Cunard, eg Guest Speakers, dance lessons etc as I suspect they are also part of the reason why people return time and time again to the brand.

Respectfully, I think having a less formal ship in the fleet would have the opposite effect, it would cause confusion and would lead to people expecting the rest of the fleet to become more relaxed.

Cunard marketing currently gives clear direction that they are the brand with ocean liners, formal dress, formal service and more serious daily activities than frivolous. If they stray from that and have another string to their bow, that would just cause consumer confusion and be a marketer's nightmare. They would likely lose focus.

By all means have another ship but they should model it on current Cunard branding.

M-AR

I can just see the marketing of this Cunard lite ship . Step right up folks, pretend you are on a Cunarder but we don't care how you dress or act. Sort of like A high end hotel resort offering a wing for the motel 6 crowd. Never work though the idea is fun to play with on paper.

Carnival already has a variety of brands and what you describe sounds a bit like Holland America or Princess.

I can't see it myself but others may have different opinions.

Honestly I can't the OP's point. Carnival has a variety of brands each one with it's own caracter, so why mix-up things?