First cruise with costa, AND I'M SCARED!

namwicha

• 4 weeks later...
Ive enjoyed all my Costa cruises and have another booked for later in the year ( not entirely sure where it is going to start, when it will end and wha ship it will be on, but that is another story!) I agree with Malnik if you are the type that needs a high degree of organisation and detailed information from them, you'll be disappointed. I have that at work, I'm quite happy to be left to my own devices and go with the flow when on holiday.

MSC, the other Italian line, gets similar criticisms on its European sailings as Costa does. Seems that what I love about both lines, many English speaking passengers (and dare I say it Americans) hate or are uncomfortable with. If I'm being honest, I loathe the American service style and tipping culture but tolerate if I'm in the US. I like the European style better, far less intrusive (IMO) and none of that fake friendliness, behaving like they're your new best friend. I've heard people complain that service is too slow (of both Italian lines). That depends on what your expectations are and preferences. We Europeans don't have lower expectations, but different ones. For me dinner is the major part of my evening and I like it to be a long leisurely affair (as Italians do). Others want to be in and out in an hour so if it takes 2 they think it's bad. I think it's bad if I get rushed out the door in an hour.

Likewise service around the pool. I like that I'm left in perfect peace reading my book without someone trying to flog me a drink fairly regularly. If I want one, I lay my book down and look for the waiter, make eye contact and they come and serve me. I know that is what I have to do when I want to be served. Some don't know this and fume that no one is coming around to ask them what they want. They are accustomed to a different service style.

Then there is the "water" issue. They don't have the wrong business model because they don't follow the US tradition of serving free iced tap water. Most of their pax are not Americans, where people drink bottled water at home and expect to,pay for it. So that's what Costa do., serve bottledwater to suit the majority. They do make allowance though with the waterUSA thing to accommodate American pax.

So yes, I'm European (and British and Scottish) but Costa isn't typical at all of the way things are done in the UK but I really don't want that anyway. If I want a British experience, I go to a nice country house hotel for a long weekend here in the UK.

When I leave my country (be it a land based holiday or cruise) I want to be surrounded by other nationalities, eat different foods, eat at different times and hear many languages spoken and observe different cultural behaviours. I get that on Costa (and MSC)

american , nyc ,bklyn, single, gay man,. going on the april 1st 2017 TA costa favolosa 14 night cruise . this thread was very interesting .My mind is open to new experiences ,cant wait to post my review end of april . Will it be positive like my attitude or negative ? STAY TUNED!

Do you speak any otehr languages? I've never seen anything GLBT in English. Costa doesn't seem particularly gay-unfriendly, and European sailings seem to attract a number of gays, but I don't know about TA's.

i am not going for the gay scene just listed it here and my other info as part of my whole profile to see if i would enjoy this itailian european cruise line/ship /passenger service and food as opposed to an american one ii love the ta and the ports of call . happy to be on it lets see if i say that after the 14 days and no i dont speak any languages so far

Sums up Costa! But I love 'em and their ships!

4th Cruise in two years with them in 3 weeks time!

But the positives

Price

Better itineraries than most!

Large cabins

Great shows

Take a look at my first three review! What's not to like?

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=8937

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

Will be writing another about our travels on Costa Meditterranea when we return late April 30th! Keep your eyes peeled!

I have no doubt it will be a great cruise because no matter, we will make it a great cruise! THink you should adopt a similar attitude and you will have a great time despite yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This was a very interesting thread. While I'm waiting for Celebrity cruise in June, I've been entertaining myself with the YouTube video series Cruise Diaries about Costa and crew life on board. So, I came over to the Costa board to see what cruisers had to say. You all did not disappoint! Although I think the series may be a little slanted to an American audience, it was highly entertaining and I learned a lot about behind the scenes.

Hi there, hello "dancer Bob", Carol here, just to let you know, we did enjoy, our cruise with Costa, although the weather was on the cold side, it hit all of Europe and I ended up with bronchitis the second week of the criuise, which lasted five weeks in total, compared to the two Costa cruises (B2B) we did before out of Venice, which we really didn't enjoy, too many kids, not enough supervision by parents and the crew couldn't careless attitude. We said we wouldn't go on another Costa cruise again, but the one we ended up taking in January was a last minute fill-in, before our cruise with MSC, and we enjoyed it, the itinerary was good, the crew were great, the only thing was the cold weather, and my bronchitis. We enjoyed the MSC cruise as well, first time with them, then we went onto Cyprus for a month, (which was our original plan for the Mediterranean, hubby wanted to go back, was there in 1954). Next year, back to the Carribean again, have booked with Celebrity Eclipse, 14 days, can drive down, having Christmas with our daughter, cruise, then Destin Fl for a month.

Happy cruising. Carol

Thanks for the update, I'm in France right now, by coincidence was at a dance competition when I read your post. Dancing was exactly like a competition in Toronto, but was advertised locally, many locals attended as spectators, very different from Toronto.

Costa is a very different experience between off-season and European school holiday.

I will not go on an American ship unless I'm with a group, and then only if I've held the organizer's feet to the fire over what group activities are planned.

Hi Dancer Bob, lovely to here from you, Hope the weather is better, than when we were there. Weather not too bad here now, just a few flurries, the last five days, rain, but 10 - 14 degrees, maybe spring is here. When are you coming home? Enjoy the dancing. Carol

• 2 weeks later...

We were on The Costa Mediterranea last month and it was cold, rainy and rough seas that actually prevented us from going down to Malta BUT We will go with COSTA again without thinking twice. COSTA was fun, full of life, great shows and Very Italian. We will take Costa religiously every Winter/Spring to get a good dose of Italy right after Chinese New Year and before we go to England and Spain each year 🇨[emoji1182]🇹 🇺[emoji1215][emoji1045]🇸

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, we were so lucky. We boarded the Mediterranea on March 10 and had great weather every day. Malta is definitely a place to go to, so I hope it works out for you next time. We also liked Costa and would definitely use them again if they have an itinerary we like.

And yes, I got used to the Italian way of things...I can't drink regular coffee anymore, it tastes like warm dish water...I bought an espresso machine and some Illy coffee :)

Wow, we were so lucky. We boarded the Mediterranea on March 10 and had great weather every day. Malta is definitely a place to go to, so I hope it works out for you next time. We also liked Costa and would definitely use them again if they have an itinerary we like.

And yes, I got used to the Italian way of things...I can't drink regular coffee anymore, it tastes like warm dish water...I bought an espresso machine and some Illy coffee :)

We were really looking forward to Malta because as kids we always heard about The Malta Conference, The Maltese Falcon etc so it was this mysterious place we wanted to see. We just did a 2nd day in Palermo which we also really liked and now we have an excuse to take COSTA again and this time pick up Malta. We've been on brand new ships like Ovation of The Seas and some new Carnival ships but The Mediterranea was that unique fun European style Cruise that we really loved.

Checking in for the Eurostar in Paris on Tuesday, it was such a shambles they had to hold the train for 20 minutes. But going through UK Immigration, the Immigration Officer mentioned it's a big European school holiday, normally it's much quicker. So if I see a cruise review about this week having so many kids, I'll know the context even if the reviewer doesn't say, which they almost always fail to.

I've already booked two trips on Deliziosa next January and February, as well as 28 days on Mediterranea from Dubai to Savona (I was able to use my temporary French address and get a very good price from Costa France). So it looks like I'll avoid most of next winter too. How unCanadian of me.

Hi everyone, SPRING has come back, 18c yesterday, all the snow has gone👏👏. 🌷🌷. How I wish I was you, for next year, Dancer Bob, we were going to do six weeks in the Caribbean, three different ships, but now will be down in NC. for Christmas, at our daughters, so as we're driving down for that, decided for Feb, & 1/2 March, going to Destin Florida, our old place, BUT I do get my cruise in, two weeks on celebrity eclipse,

S. Caribbean. Oh well can't have everything.

Enjoy. Carol

• 2 weeks later...

i loved the costa favolosa cruise great food bought glasses water back to my room at night staff was friendly ship was clean no onboard illness talked english to many passengers got invited to visit their homes in the future ,even entertained in my cabin serveral times if you know what i mean lol

I cruised Costa Romantica in 2010 and it was terrible. First of all there was no air conditioning, it was broken. Crew and maintenance had nothing to do and advised us to put ice in the air vents hoping it would cool our room. Secondly crew members weren't the most polite, only the Filipinos were okay. Finally, I know the cruise line had nothing to do with this but the passengers were all so barbaric and racist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruised Costa Romantica in 2010 and it was terrible. First of all there was no air conditioning, it was broken. Crew and maintenance had nothing to do and advised us to put ice in the air vents hoping it would cool our room. Secondly crew members weren't the most polite, only the Filipinos were okay. Finally, I know the cruise line had nothing to do with this but the passengers were all so barbaric and racist.

Wow, 7 years to post a review. World record?

Costa Romantica has been consigned to history, it is now Costa neoRomantica.

I spent 14 days on the neoRomantica last December, we had the best food and service from all crew members we hace ever had on a Costa ship. The AC worked perfectly even with temperatures of 35°C outside.

The only thing that was barbaric was having to leave the ship after such a wonderful cruise

Wow, 7 years to post a review. World record?

Costa Romantica has been consigned to history, it is now Costa neoRomantica.

I spent 14 days on the neoRomantica last December, we had the best food and service from all crew members we hace ever had on a Costa ship. The AC worked perfectly even with temperatures of 35°C outside.

The only thing that was barbaric was having to leave the ship after such a wonderful cruise

I just created an account, and I cannot just leave it behind to be forgotten just because it was 7 years ago..

Wow sounds like sour grapes to me, done 24 Costa cruises since 1998 never once had a crew member who was anything but polite and extremely helpful, the 'Romantica' was one of the best cruises we have done, the ship was wonderful in 2000 food out of this world. since the re-fit now the Neo-Romatica we tried it again, beautiful décor, Italian food, great wine and outstanding crew, fabulous cabin even if it was noisier than most ships possibly down the extension and inclusion of our balcony cabins.

Racist is so not the Costa way, never seen or heard one single word or fraise that said otherwise.