Manhattan luggage drop off question

lucyd

I am a bit confused about the taxi drop-off process at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I have read several posts indicating the drop-off is on street level, other threads indicate drop-off is on second level and luggage is taken down to level one via elevator where it is given to a porter.

We will not be parking. Does the taxi drop off on level one (which I assume is street level), where the porters take our luggage and then we proceed to customs hall on level 2?

Thank you for the clarification.

I, too, am wondering about drop off points for Manhattan port. Relatives will be dropping us off for our Oceania cruise. There are two mega ships having turn around days. Will that I,pact us in any way. This will be Sunday, August 20.

Also, on the disembarkation 11 days later. Where will our relatives need to be to pick us up? We are the only ship that day and our previous port is Bermuda. I have read we need to be across the street? But which street? Also, any idea what time we can be off the ship. I am looking at 9 am. Reasonable?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Pearl

There are three levels at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, street level, first level (departure level) and second level (parking level).

When being dropped off at the terminal your taxi or car enters the terminal complex at 55th St and 12th Ave, drives up the ramp to the first level to the entrance for the pier your ship is departing from. You will hand your luggage over to a porter there. Traffic can be heavy getting into the cruise terminal, so instead of driving into the terminal complex some people ask the person driving to drop them off across the street from their pier, on the northbound side of 12th Ave. and then they cross the street with their luggage, where depending on circumstances that day you may be able to drop your luggage off to a porter on the street level, or they may be told to take the elevator up to the first (departure) level and hand their luggage over there.

When you're being picked up after disembarkation passengers are often asked to cross 12th Ave. to the northbound side of the avenue and have their ride pick them up there, whether the ride is by private car, car service or taxi. The process can vary from week to week depending on the number of ships in port.

Unfortunately disembarkation can be a bit chaotic at the cruise terminal and the rules about where pick ups can take place change from day to day so it's impossible to predict in advance exactly what's going to happen on any particular day.

I am a bit confused about the taxi drop-off process at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

I have read several posts indicating the drop-off is on street level, other threads indicate drop-off is on second level and luggage is taken down to level one via elevator where it is given to a porter.

We will not be parking. Does the taxi drop off on level one (which I assume is street level), where the porters take our luggage and then we proceed to customs hall on level 2?

Thank you for the clarification.

yes all arriving vehicles are on the street level. A vehicle can either drive south from George Washington bridge and turn right into terminal street level or driving north from Lincoln tunnel and turning left into street level entrance and going down to the ships terminal number where porters will take bags after a certain time. Taxis should be familiar with this as long as you know the terminal number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

For disembarkation it's best for your relatives to find a place to park the car across 12 Avenue, maybe even on the side street. Then they can call you with the location. You can call them in the morning to tell them what time you are scheduled to get off the ship. No need to be first ones off. I find being one of the last ones off less hectic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yes all arriving vehicles are on the street level. A vehicle can either drive south from George Washington bridge and turn right into terminal street level or driving north from Lincoln tunnel and turning left into street level entrance and going down to the ships terminal number where porters will take bags after a certain time. Taxis should be familiar with this as long as you know the terminal number.

Not so. Taxis and other arriving vehicles that are dropping off passengers are normally directed up the ramp to the first level. They are not supposed to drop off passengers on street level. They might come in on the street level once in a while but that's not what they're supposed to do.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I like to have a plan in mind. Less stress for me. And, yes, I understand the situation can change but knowing some options helps.

Thanks again.

Pearl

Not so. Taxis and other arriving vehicles that are dropping off passengers are normally directed up the ramp to the first level. They are not supposed to drop off passengers on street level. They might come in on the street level once in a while but that's not what they're supposed to do.

my brother drove us and picked us up on the street level and I don't remember any ramp when we went in 2015

my brother drove us and picked us up on the street level and I don't remember any ramp when we went in 2015

The ramp has been there for as long as I've been using the cruise terminal, which is for more more years than I care to remember. There is only one motor vehicle entrance at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and the ramp is directly in front of you as you drive in. The sign clearly directs cars to take the ramp up to the departure level and often there are police officers or port employees directing you to go that way. You have make a slight jog to the right to drive in on the ground level and normally buses, large passenger vans and trucks making deliveries to the cruise terminal are the vehicles permitted to use the ground level...not that some automobiles don't from time to time (I've been picked up on the ground level upon occasion) but more often than not they don't want automobiles on street level.

The ramp has been there for as long as I've been using the cruise terminal, which is for more more years than I care to remember. There is only one motor vehicle entrance at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and the ramp is directly in front of you as you drive in. The sign clearly directs cars to take the ramp up to the departure level and often there are police officers or port employees directing you to go that way. You have make a slight jog to the right to drive in on the ground level and normally buses, large passenger vans and trucks making deliveries to the cruise terminal are the vehicles permitted to use the ground level...not that some automobiles don't from time to time (I've been picked up on the ground level upon occasion) but more often than not they don't want automobiles on street level.

Yes, I know, but I have always gone where three buses and taxis go on the street level.

You have gotten great drop-off info. For pick up at the end - which is really a moving target depending on a lot of variables, I would suggest that your ride picks a spot and waits on a west bound side stree a few blocks south - parking and waiting on 12th Ave is a non-starter. Then ,AFTER you have picked up your luggage and cleared customs, call him on your cell phone as you head out the door, cross 12th. Ave and wait by the curb on the far side until he comes along.

Yes, I know, but I have always gone where three buses and taxis go on the street level.

Yes, buses go to the street level...that's where they're supposed to go, but taxis are supposed to go up to the next level. The signage makes that very clear and if there's someone there directing traffic they make it clear too.

Yes, buses go to the street level...that's where they're supposed to go, but taxis are supposed to go up to the next level. The signage makes that very clear and if there's someone there directing traffic they make it clear too.

So you are pushing back, but I did what I did and I stated what I did! State what you believe and move on!

So you are pushing back, but I did what I did and I stated what I did! State what you believe and move on!

If you read my posts carefully you would see that I also said that I have occasionally been picked up on the street level...and you would also might have noticed that what I'm pushing back on is your statement:

"yes all arriving vehicles are on the street level" .

That simply isn't true, and in fact is contrary to posted signage and how police officers direct the traffic. That doesn't mean both you and I haven't been picked up or dropped off at street level at some time. Understand the difference?

Thanks for the info on departures - I now have a picture in my mind - which helps.

I hope you will allow a few more novice questions: Is the Berth number and Pier number speaking of the same thing. Is the ship listed under it's pier number or berth number and is there a way I can discover the location in advance.

Thanks for the info on departures - I now have a picture in my mind - which helps.

I hope you will allow a few more novice questions: Is the Berth number and Pier number speaking of the same thing. Is the ship listed under it's pier number or berth number and is there a way I can discover the location in advance.

Take a look at the photos that scroll by on this web page https://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/ and you'll see that piers 88 and 90 have two berths each, one each on the north and south sides of the piers.

If I'm not mistaken you're on Viking Sky...please correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I know Viking has never had a cruise depart from NY prior to this, so there's no track record to go by, and even if they have cruised from NY the pier and berth they use could vary depending on what other ships are in port that day. They could leave from 88 or 90, or even pier 92, which is normally only used when no space is available at 88 and 90.

There's no need to know in advance. Just tell your taxi or car service driver that you're going to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and the name of your ship. There's only one motor vehicle entrance, which is at 12th Ave and 55th St. The driver will find your ship.

When giving the destination to taxi and/or car service drivers at MCT, there is no need (nor does it matter) to tell them the berth # - there is one, single entrance ramp into MCT - there are 3 terminals. They are line up in a straight line, starting with Pier 92 (it is seldom used) and about 100 or 150 yards further, Pier 90 (it has berth 1 and berth 2 ... when there are more 1 ship, used for (smaller) ships. Another 100 to 150 yards, Pier 88 and usually only 1 berth is used - mega ships usually dock here; or, when there is only 1 ship in port.

The ships and their docked terminal is very easy, easy to spot while driving toward and up to level 2 for dropoff & disembarkation. Porters are outside - you are responsible for making sure your checked bags are properly tagged, but the porters will do a check visual so that they are loaded onto the proper carts to transfer to the ship.

This is one of the picture of the entrance ramp to the elevated roadways for all 3 terminals around W. 57th Street - link as taken (credit to OP for this thread) from "My Humble NYC Parking ..."

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/sebas030/media/cGF0aDovUEFSS0lOR0xFVkVMX3pwczU1YmIwMjE4LmpwZw==/?ref=

Thread (note: photobucket changed its picture hosting policies, some of the images are no longer viewable) - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2057865

This is the view of Pier 88 across 12th Avenue at the yellow taxi stand on street level, it is an alternative dropoff point - especially when there's 2, 3 or 4 ships docked at the port ... resulting in heavy traffic and often gridlock condtions ... it can take 15 minutes or longer, extra, for the taxi to go around & turn and get up to level 2 via the ramp. Smart cruisers arriving by taxi will often get dropped off here with luggage, waiting for the traffic light and walk across 12th Avenue - then, take the elevators and/or escalators up to 2nd. level (arrival) where porters are waiting - before going inside the terminal thru security for check-in. ****

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yg9oes4klbwb8gl/IMAG0265.jpg?dl=0

If you get dropped off curbside on level 2 by taxi or car service, near Pier 88 - this is what the area looked like. Signage are plentiful and most taxi/car drivers are familiar with the routine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7boin4gup8k3dp/SDC10299.JPG?dl=0

In other words, there is no reason to focus on the minute details & not get any sleep over it - it will be fine. As njhorseman said & I can reaffirm, sailing out of those piers or terminals since the late 1990's - we're dropped off "upstairs" on level 2, all but once (as an exception) by a car service driver at street level, normally open & accessible to authorized bus or motorcoaches, and cruiseline transportation ... Everyone else go up one level, another level for rooftop parking.

**** This is where many or most disembarking passengers are directed to get a taxi, walk across 12th Avenue to the corner of W. 48th Street, where the yellow taxi-van is. We're in fact standing in line waiting for our turn to get into a taxi, maybe 10 minutes at most. For private pickup, we always use W. 48th Street, between 12th Avenue & 11th Avenue - as it is easier for the drivers and it is NOT a long walk.