Venice Hotel

LParente

Look at Residence Corte Grimani. They have a great location between San Marco and Rialto Bridge. The rates are reasonable by Venice standards. It is family run and they are extremely helpful and friendly. They also have 2 bedroom suites available.

This is a great website for some basic information.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

We had many things to take into consideration when choosing our hotel: price, location (within walking distance of major attractions), ease of getting to the hotel with luggage, transportation from the aiport and train station, traveler reviews, etc. We also wanted a place that had some local charm, rather than a chain-type hotel. We chose Locanda San Barnaba - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d239252-Reviews-Locanda_San_Barnaba-Venice_Veneto.html

Once you set your personal priorities, you can narrow down the search. Tripadvisor is a great resource for reviews.

We stayed in Mestre, just outside Venice 10min by bus (stopped right next to hotel) at Hotel Tritone. Hotel was right across from the train station, which was perfect as we arrived and departed by train. Amazing breakfast spread included also. Might be worth a look also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When Mestre comes to mind, I compare it with staying in Newark...if visiting NYC. Mestre does offer some decent hotel deals, but it is not Venice. I guess its each to their own....but we always prefer to stay in Venice...proper.

Hank

Maybe check out this site:

https://www.cross-pollinate.com/venice/p/1

It's run by an American couple in Rome who run their own hotel but apparently go around vetting other hotels in Italy and other place where they travel. We booked a hotel via their website for Venice for a pre-cruise stay but we cancelled because we weren't sure if what day we were going to get into Venice since we were flying in during a one day transportation strike. No hassles cancelling which was nice.

• 1 month later...
When Mestre comes to mind, I compare it with staying in Newark...if visiting NYC. Mestre does offer some decent hotel deals, but it is not Venice. I guess its each to their own....but we always prefer to stay in Venice...proper.

Hank

Hank,

Generally I agree, but this year we looked at the hotel where we had stayed twice before and the cost was more than twice that last time (2012). So we will be staying in Mestre. Just trying to decide between the Best Western Bologna and the Plaza. Probably will choose the BW since it is a little higher reviewed. We won't go into Venice every day, having visited before. We will take a side trip to Burano, and maybe to Vicenza, so we may only spend one full day in Venice and other random times.

Beth

The search function isn't helping me much. Two parents and two teens looking for recommendations for 2 nights pre-cruise. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're staying at the Hotel Becher in SAN Marco. They have a family room which can accommodate 4 people. Not cheap but location can't be beat. They have been very responsive to my questions. I booked direct with the hotel, cost lower than Travelocity's.

Venice is pricey, but if you're willing to forego a TV, elevator and similar amenities, there are some reasonable options.

Apts are ideal if you have kids and are staying for 3 nites ( sometimes 2). It's nice to have a little kitchen to make coffee or make a lite meal or just a place to keep snacks/drinks. ( use VRBO or apts on tripadvisor).

The Pensione Guerrato near Rialto Market has family rooms. And we've used 2 of their apts; Piccolo Guerrato has a king bed in the bedroom and the living room is 2 twins that serve as couches during the day. It's halfway between Rialto and St Marks. And Carampane is nr Rialto with 2 bedrooms. We lucked out and got 2 nites here. Loved both apts.

Locanda Salieri is about a 10 minute walk from Piazzale Roma so convenient to cruise terminal.

Hotel Santa Lucia is also about 10 minutes from PRoma and VERY reasonable, but you have to cross the Canal to get to it which is usually a problem for most people because they overpack.

Anyone have any experience with Bauer Palazzo or Metropole hotel in Venice?

Both are 5 star, great locations and quite expensive. I've haven't stayed at either of them but if your looking for absolute luxury those or the Danelli are the way to go.

Both are 5 star, great locations and quite expensive. I've haven't stayed at either of them but if your looking for absolute luxury those or the Danelli are the way to go.

Thank you, we are kind of at a point now where it is a toss up between the two .... and my apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport with our teens (Marriott points = FREE!). While it lacked the charm of being in old Venice, it was fine because we only slept there. The reason I point it out is because we bought the transportation ticket that covered buses and boats (Veperatto -- think it them as city buses on water). The bus stop was almost at the Marriott front door. VERY easy. The staff there was super. Again, it was free and considering the amount of money we spent over the next couple of weeks, it was an easy way to save a few dollars.

Hank,

Generally I agree, but this year we looked at the hotel where we had stayed twice before and the cost was more than twice that last time (2012). So we will be staying in Mestre. Just trying to decide between the Best Western Bologna and the Plaza. Probably will choose the BW since it is a little higher reviewed. We won't go into Venice every day, having visited before. We will take a side trip to Burano, and maybe to Vicenza, so we may only spend one full day in Venice and other random times.

Beth

Look on the bright side. In 2012 a Euro cost at least $1.30 (we have been to Europe when the rate was about $1.45). Now it is better than $1.10. But you are right that many hotel prices have increased (in a big way) and the VAT tax has increased to 22% (the last time we looked). Just pray for great weather...which helps make everything feel wonderful.

Hank

We stayed in Mestre and I would in no way compare it with staying in Newark as a earlier post offered......train station is across the street and you are in Venice in minutes plus the breakfast buffet is amazing.....

When we go again, I will gladly stay in Mestre...