Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well hi there Miss Nancy Fancy Pants

Caturday - ha ha! We have a caturday every day in our house! LOL!

Well today I dropped Miss Bonnie off to our puppy walker supervisor and she headed off to training school to be assessed. So fingers crossed that the trainer she is going to spend the next few days with will see her potential ..... If not she will come home to us and there will be no more puppy walking for me. So my heart wants her to come home and have cuddles and just have a lovely easy life with us, but my head is trying to stand firm with the hope that she will be going on to formal training and be a great life changer for someone who will love her just as much as we do!

Before we met with David, we went to the dentist and much as I tried there was no escape for me as the hygienist did not want to do the dog's teeth instead of mine! Bonnie was very well behaved, just lay down and watched what was going on and then had a nap while the hygienist did her worst! I was quite anxious as I couldn't see her but of course this is what blind people live with all the time - so I just placed my trust in her and she did very well. I did bring a new toy for her stuffed with her favourite doggy sweets but she looked at it and honest to goodness gave me a look "you must be joking Mum, you want me to do what, for so little reward!" She's a funny little toot, she's not very motivated by food.

Then we walked down a couple of very busy streets back to where I had parked the car and the only time she was a bit distracted was by a big bus pulling in right beside us on the street. And of course, there's always one person who thinks it is funny/or what I don't really know to distract the dog. This time it was a woman while we were waiting to cross the road. Honestly, some folk! And Bonnie did well as we still have some cobbled streets and old paved sidewalks which are not level at all, and all up and down, so a bit of a challenge if you can't see, so we train the dogs to stop and then the guide dog user knows there is an obstacle and to take care. In saying all this, we do have the dipped cut outs in the pavements for wheelchair users so we always cross the road using these - those old cobbles look lovely but are a real nuisance, even for the sure footed!

So will keep you posted on how our Bonnie gets on. The house is quiet(er) but the other three couldn't care less ....... Looked past me to see where she was, ah no Bonnie so where's our biscuits? :rolleyes:

I'm writing from my phone, please forgive any un-caught mistakes.

I'm saying a little extra prayer for our Bonnie. Its really a catch 22. I hope she gets to be someone's hero. Please keep us in the loop.

Happy weekend to you and Horton!

Here in Kansas City we are bracing for an ice storm; with an NFL playoff game on Sunday at Arrowhead stadium. Some tickets are being offered at $30 each! The Missouri governor issued a state of emergency warning, asking folks to stay off the highways this weekend; and has activated the National Guard as a precaution. St. Louis is already getting hit, because of the way the system is moving across the state. Going to be a fun time. NOT!

We are hunkered down for the duration, so we won't need to go out for anything. Hopefully our electricity will not go out; a half inch or so of ice on power lines can be really messy.

Will try to be watching the Fort Lauderdale port camera to see Wexler and company sail away tomorrow. (Hope I have the right day, don't want to have missed them.)

Be safe everybody!

Beckie

You be safe! I think L.A. is finally out of its drought stage!

Hi all! We are on the cruise and trying to have a good time. We requested sod in our potty box as its Wexlers favorite and requested it on our huge balcony. When we got on we asked about the box. She said they were waiting for the sod from their warehouse, she said give us 3 hours. Sounded fishy but we waited. We kept asking and asking and 5 hours later we were told the box was ready. Not only was it on our balcony but it was a large aplastic tupperware with fake grass!! We were livid. They told us that they could give us a bigger box but not on the balcony because it was against the USDA law. Ugh Of course we told them it was crap and finally got it on the balcony and it was a big box. Wex refused to go in it for a day but finally peed in it. No poop for 2 days. They promised in St thomas we would have sod. Nope! The access lady here is the rudest woman I have ever meant. She has argued with us and called us liars. She tracked us down at dinner and got John so upset that I told her to leave. We are now dealing with another access person who is trying but just as useless. She was trying to get us off ship in Tortola so Wex could poop but now she tells us we can't. I took the fake grass out and we have pine shavings in the box. Wex has used it a few times now. So things are better. The access guy in Miami has lied and is useless too. I don't know what is going to happen when we get home but it's not going to be pleasant. The **** is going to hit the fan. We really are having a good time and the kids are loving it, but it's been very stressful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Hi all! We are on the cruise and trying to have a good time. We requested sod in our potty box as its Wexlers favorite and requested it on our huge balcony. When we got on we asked about the box. She said they were waiting for the sod from their warehouse, she said give us 3 hours. Sounded fishy but we waited. We kept asking and asking and 5 hours later we were told the box was ready. Not only was it on our balcony but it was a large aplastic tupperware with fake grass!! We were livid. They told us that they could give us a bigger box but not on the balcony because it was against the USDA law. Ugh Of course we told them it was crap and finally got it on the balcony and it was a big box. Wex refused to go in it for a day but finally peed in it. No poop for 2 days. They promised in St thomas we would have sod. Nope! The access lady here is the rudest woman I have ever meant. She has argued with us and called us liars. She tracked us down at dinner and got John so upset that I told her to leave. We are now dealing with another access person who is trying but just as useless. She was trying to get us off ship in Tortola so Wex could poop but now she tells us we can't. I took the fake grass out and we have pine shavings in the box. Wex has used it a few times now. So things are better. The access guy in Miami has lied and is useless too. I don't know what is going to happen when we get home but it's not going to be pleasant. The **** is going to hit the fan. We really are having a good time and the kids are loving it, but it's been very stressful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Cindy, sounds awful!!! And so unnecessary, I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. Poor Wexy. The Hotel Manager should be ashamed of herself!!!

They could make it so much easier on themselves and us if they would just supply the cedar mulch [those pine shavings are okay but the dogs tend to track them all over.] And, it's so easy to have a 5x5 box ready for us. There's absolutely no reason, if you have a veranda for the box not to be placed on it!!! USDA Law.....my foot, I've had more cruise lines who have broken the law, if there is one!!!!

I hope the rest of your cruise is a good one. You deserve more than just a dinner out of this nightmare!!!

Well hi there Miss Nancy Fancy Pants

Caturday - ha ha! We have a caturday every day in our house! LOL!

Well today I dropped Miss Bonnie off to our puppy walker supervisor and she headed off to training school to be assessed. So fingers crossed that the trainer she is going to spend the next few days with will see her potential ..... If not she will come home to us and there will be no more puppy walking for me. So my heart wants her to come home and have cuddles and just have a lovely easy life with us, but my head is trying to stand firm with the hope that she will be going on to formal training and be a great life changer for someone who will love her just as much as we do!

I am sure that you are missing dear Bonnie! The family that raised my dog Henri said the same thing, they were secretly hoping that she wouldn't graduate (she was puppy #5 for them), but on the other hand they were so happy that she did get placed as a service dog. I can tell you from my own experience that if Miss Bonnie does make it through training she will be the best gift in the world to someone who needs her.

Dianne

Hi all! We are on the cruise and trying to have a good time. We requested sod in our potty box as its Wexlers favorite and requested it on our huge balcony. When we got on we asked about the box.

Ugh - so stressful! I really don't understand why this is so hard for the cruise lines. It is very simple to put a 4x4 or 5x5 box on a balcony and fill it with the material that best suits your dog. It is such a pain to have to fight with the cruise line each and every time. I have researched the heck out of this area of the law, and there is no specific law prohibiting placement of the box on your veranda.

I am glad to hear that you are having a good time even with having to deal with the box issues.

Dianne

Cindy, I hate this! It makes me so angry. A Tupperware plastic container? USDA law?? What law?? And to call you two liars is beyond the pale. What I hate most is that they created stress - so very needless! - for you both...when you really needed a good vacation and paid good money to be relaxing in the sunshine.

How hard can it be to bring on a little slab of sod from the state of Florida? My husband picks them up at Lowes all the time. Yet Celebrity also failed to produce a tiny square of sod I requested months in advance when they have entire top decks covered in the stuff!! (But heaven forbid your dog were to pee up there - strictly prohibited. I don't go near it.) Meanwhile their website continues to promise sod as an option.

Your experience certainly makes me want to avoid NCL. After our six cruises, the only ones that were fairly free of stress with the relief box situation were on Holland America.

It's hard enough to go through life with a disability. And dedicated people worked very hard to make the ADA into the law of the land. But getting a very simple "reasonable accommodation" in order for us to be assisted by our dogs is sometimes so hard. So unnecessary.

Ok, now that I've vented - I'm glad you are able to have fun and that the kids are enjoying it.

Ugh - so stressful! I really don't understand why this is so hard for the cruise lines. It is very simple to put a 4x4 or 5x5 box on a balcony and fill it with the material that best suits your dog. It is such a pain to have to fight with the cruise line each and every time. I have researched the heck out of this area of the law, and there is no specific law prohibiting placement of the box on your veranda.

I am glad to hear that you are having a good time even with having to deal with the box issues.

Dianne

Dianne, I asked a lawyer [he works with the Coast Guard and their legal issues], he said he's never heard of any law that stipulates that you can't have a "potty box" on your veranda for your dog. If it's an issue of "not enough space", for safety; they could always remove a deck chair or table to allow for the box.

The aforementioned has ALWAYS been my argument when I spend the extra money for a veranda and ask for the convenience of having the box on my veranda!!! I will NEVER settle for less and will argue with whomever comes at me, with; "we can't do it, or it's a legal issue, or a health issue!" I DON'T BACK DOWN!!! And, they have always come through......it may take some time to get the box on my patio but it does get there.

I make sure that Horton has relieved himself before we get onboard, just in case there's a delay in placing the box.

This makes me so sad. :( They wasted far more time telling you how/why they couldn't do it than the amount of time it took to just get it put on the veranda. As for the filling, they all act like this is the "first" dawg that has been on board. What a shame. Then to call you guys a liar. I would have kept going up the chain until I hit the Captain if that is what it took. No excuse for her behavior. Maybe she should reconsider her career choice. Hope the rest of the crew is enjoyable.

So it is with great sadness that I have to tell my Cruise Critic family that we had to say goodbye to my daughter's amazing service dog Orson III on Monday. The strange part was that it wasn't the cancer that ended his life. It was his heart. He collapsed early Monday morning and was out for a few minutes. he finally came to and seemed better. We rushed him to the vet and the vet said his heart didn't sound right. They were going to take x-rays but before that could happen, Orson had two seizures. The vet said he most likely had a tumor at the base of his heart and the sack around his heart was filling with blood. There was nothing they could do. So we all made the hardest decision but the kindest one. Orson drifted off to the Rainbow Bridge. It will take some time to get back to normal at my house. I still think I see him out of the corner of my eye and hear him.

So it is with great sadness that I have to tell my Cruise Critic family that we had to say goodbye to my daughter's amazing service dog Orson III on Monday. The strange part was that it wasn't the cancer that ended his life. It was his heart. He collapsed early Monday morning and was out for a few minutes. he finally came to and seemed better. We rushed him to the vet and the vet said his heart didn't sound right. They were going to take x-rays but before that could happen, Orson had two seizures. The vet said he most likely had a tumor at the base of his heart and the sack around his heart was filling with blood. There was nothing they could do. So we all made the hardest decision but the kindest one. Orson drifted off to the Rainbow Bridge. It will take some time to get back to normal at my house. I still think I see him out of the corner of my eye and hear him.

OMG I am so sorry DKD - please accept condolences on behalf of myself and everyone here. Orson lived a life more fulfilling than that of most humans. I think all of us feel as though we knew him; I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through right now.

Roz and the others here who have been through this will hopefully have better words than I do.

Keith

Oh! No! I can hardly see the screen, I'm so deeply saddened for all of you. I'm so sorry that Orson's time with you and your family has ended.

You do see him around every corner, you do hear his nails clicking on the floor, you visualize him laying in his bed and turning his head to hear your voice and see your smile! You do, and you will forever have him near you.

I know your pain and feel your hurt and I send my love and warm hugs to all of you.

I don't think I cried or hurt so hard as I did the day I lost my Brenny. These Service Dogs are such kindred souls and so much a part of our every day lives. They eat, sleep, walk, work and travel right by our sides 24/7.....It feels like you actually lose one of your limbs when they pass!!!!

He had to go.........Please take care of yourselves and know that we all are thinking of you at this very sad time!

DKD, I just had to add; We've never met but over these many years of writing on this thread I've gotten to know you and I, like so many others, have fallen in love with your stories and your amazing wit.

I've loved how you shared your travels and dilemma's with Orson and your Pups In Training. I've loved how you shared the bond between your daughter, you and Orson. He brought great joy to your life and you his. You showed him unconditional love and understanding, of which he returned 10 fold.

Orson did what he was meant and so well trained to do. He fulfilled and completed your daughters life, and while doing that, he enriched yours and your wife's.

You were lucky to have known him as he was to have known you.

Take care of yourself, this is a very fragile time for all of you.

Oh DKD, I am so so very sad to read this news that your beautiful dear Orson III has gone ..... He's been such a big part of our lives here on CC and the stories you've shared with us have gone all around the world. I well remember my DH's colleague meeting you and your family and of course Orson, on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago - so he will be upset too to hear this news. His meeting you meant I had almost met you as well!

It was you and Orson who really put the first thoughts in my mind to go and find out about puppy walking - and your encouragement to this novice puppy walker was priceless. I'm sure Orson will also be remembered as a great mentor dog to all the young pups raised with your family.

We all wish we were there to give you our condolences in person but please accept our cyber hugs and our sincerest wishes to you and your family, and thanks for sharing Orson III with us over the years.

May he sleep in peace dear boy. I'm off now to light a candle for him.

DKD,

Our thoughts and warm cyber hugs are headed your way from Kansas City. My keyboard here at work is filling up with tears that just won't stop. Please give our love to your whole family. You all had a wonderful life with Orson, and he will stay in your hearts forever.

Sincerely,

Beckie, Gibson and Diana

As a family that has just lost two of our closest and most loyal pooches who were family members (the first died on a Thursday and the second, Shadow, in her sleep on the following Monday. The vet and others are convinced that our dearest Shadow died of a broken heart after losing her best pal Pinot Noir.) let me add our sincerest condolences.

We're still in the grieving stages and still can't get over the loss of both of them so close together. Our veterinarian gave us this:

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies

that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm

and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs

carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your

special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

dog-quotes-death.jpg?w=640

Edited by Host Walt

As a family that has just lost two of our closest and most loyal pooches who were family members (the first died on a Thursday and the second, Shadow, in her sleep on the following Monday. The vet and others are convinced that our dearest Shadow died of a broken heart after losing her best pal Pinot Noir.) let me add our sincerest condolences.

We're still in the grieving stages and still can't get over the loss of both of them so close together. Our veterinarian gave us this:

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies

that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm

and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs

carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your

special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

dog-quotes-death.jpg?w=640

Dear Walt, I'm so sorry that you lost Shadow, as well! Too much, dear heart, just way too much to bear!!!! Please know that we understand your pain and loss far more than our words can express! Shadow and Pinot Noir are together again.

Thank you for sharing those wonderful words by Dean Koontz. He's a very, very generous donor to CCI in Oceanside, CA. I will be forever grateful to people like him who make our Service Dogs available to us.

You take care of yourself and your family.

Dianne, I asked a lawyer [he works with the Coast Guard and their legal issues], he said he's never heard of any law that stipulates that you can't have a "potty box" on your veranda for your dog. If it's an issue of "not enough space", for safety; they could always remove a deck chair or table to allow for the box.

That's what we all have to do - insist on reasonable accommodation for our dogs - someday they will get it right (I hope).

Dianne

Sitting here literally with tears. Your daughter's heart must be broken (and all of your family). Godspeed Orson.

Dianne

More tears - so sorry to hear that you have also lost Shadow Walt.

Dianne

Oh, Walt, so hard to lose both of them. I'm sure it is true that Shadow had a broken heart. Thank you for sharing the Rainbow Bridge story. All our dogs have such an innocent sweetness and wholehearted love that we can't help but love them right back the same way, unconditionally...but that just makes it so hard to say goodbye. We lose them way too soon and we never do forget them.