Crystal policy when half your itinerary has to change in the middle of the cruise

JohnKen3

We are in middle of our holiday cruise at the moment. Just found out that half of itinerary has to change. Will be posting developments on the river forum.

However, I thought folks on this forum might like to know how Crystal as a cruise line, reacts and responds to such a major change in the middle of the cruise.

Compensation includes a 30% credit to a future cruise to be taken before Dec 2018. We are getting a night at the Ritz Carlton during the cruise which gets very comments on Trip Advisor.

In tenr

Edited by JohnKen3

It is really about how they cope changing activities and excursions. We like what we have heard so far but there is more news to come.

Thankfully, we have not made any of our own arrangements so any associated costs is on Crystal. Some passengers had their own plans which are now up in the air.

30% cruise credit is typical for Crystal when cruises are cancelled. We are relatively relaxed about the changes. Just need to get a bus with good wifi for the transfer.

Rooms at the Ritz Carlton in Budapest are EUR 450 a night and is highly rated. Everyone is wondering about dinner arrangements and complimentary drinks - watch this space.

Did the change require cutting short the cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No - cruise is still for the full length. We have an extra day in Linz and a new stop in Krems and then stops in Vienna. We will get bussed to Budapest and spend the night at the Ritz Carlton there (€450 a night rack rate). Returning to the Mozart for New Year Eve and then bussed to Bratislava for the day. The Mozart will be sailing to see in the New Year and return to dock in the morning. Not sure why.

All that and a future cruise credit is a decent effort by Crystal. The onshore team are reworking the excursions and the Michelin starred restaurant bookings in Budapest. Will hear more and post developments.

What caused the change?

30% of what? Price of trip you are on? Price of trip you book?

We have been told it is low water levels due to poor rainfall that previous us sailing beyond Vienna. No other information as far as I am aware.

30% of the current cruise fare per the literature we were given. Full details and the precise credit amount to be provided to us and out Travel Agent on our return.

Officially, Crystal does not discount so that bodes well for the discount amount. For us, it will be interesting to see what US$/£ exchange rate Crystal UK will use or just stick to the £ price quoted. Sadly it is unlikely to be $ credit for us since Crystal Uk prices in £.

Crew has handled the messaging very well today. Most of the passengers took the news reasonably well as it has been a great cruise and crew so far.

Edited by JohnKen3

Just for comparison, this is Scenic's new plan for dealing with large itinerary changes due to river conditions, and other unforeseen circumstances. Check the Scenic website for full terms and conditions. It will be interesting to hear what Crystal provides for final compensation.

Only with Scenic

Staying true to our commitment of being all-inclusive, Scenic has partnered with a well-known global insurance company to offer, for the first time, river cruising travel insurance.

On every Scenic river cruise you’ll be automatically covered once you commence your cruise for any delays or cancellations that occur due to weather, natural disasters, mechanical breakdowns or strikes. There’s nothing extra to pay, we automatically cover you in the price you pay for your cruise.

Our river cruising guarantee is designed to give you comfort and assurance for certain events which prevent you from cruising, and are not considered typical or usual to river cruising. Our river cruising guarantee is designed to insure for unforeseen events rather than minor delays or deviations.

We appreciate that you’ve invested a lot in your holiday with us and we want to ensure that we provide you with peace of mind when traveling with Scenic. In the event that a claim is required, instead of the industry standard of future cruise credits you will be refunded in the manner in which you paid for your cruise.

What is classed as an unforeseen event?

A complete halt to your itinerary where the ship is unable to sail and we are unable to deliver your on shore excursions except by way of coach rides of greater than 3 hours each way

Where we have the ability to accommodate you on another Scenic Space-Ship due to high/low water but your itinerary is delayed more than 24 hours

If there is a mechanical breakdown on the ship that results in it not being able to continue the cruise and there are no alternative ships available

If due to industrial action we are not able to pass through a lock and your cruise cannot continue Luxury Europe River Cruises

Interesting scenario and low water seems like a strange reason for itinerary change at this time of year. However, at least they told you about the changes and have a back-up and compensation plan. When they couldn't keep to the schedule on our itinerary, it was just tough luck and we missed our first afternoon in Vienna with nothing being put it place to substitute the excursions we all missed. Will they not use the Crystal buses to get you to Budapest and Bratislava? If so, then I found the wifi on the buses worked best with an iPad. During the cruise I only ever had my phone with me and had very little success with it and the onboard wifi, but when I was leaving and had my iPad with me it logged on and worked faultlessly all the way from the boat to the airport!!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip, I loved Budapest.....

Anne...

When Crystal Mozart debuted, I wondered how she would sail in extreme water conditions. Of course she has a sailing history, but we don't get posts about German cruise lines here. This seems to imply that she may have a deep draft compared to other river ships, but this late in the season there are few other passenger ships sailing for comparison. We will learn more as next year unfolds.

It might just be that I'm Australian and don't understand but how in heck is a discount off a future cruise considered to be compensation?

I was always taught that compensation was defined as .."something, typically money, awarded to someone in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury".

For the like of me I can't see how a marketing tool to discount a future cruise you may or may nor be able to afford or want to take is considered compensation.

It might just be that I'm Australian and don't understand but how in heck is a discount off a future cruise considered to be compensation?

I was always taught that compensation was defined as .."something, typically money, awarded to someone in recognition of loss, suffering, or injury".

For the like of me I can't see how a marketing tool to discount a future cruise you may or may nor be able to afford or want to take is considered compensation.

I'm American and I don't see the value either.

In my mind, the cruise credit is a gesture not compensation.

What kind of compensation do you have in mind?

It was tipsygirl who mentioned compensation and raised Scenic's policy.

If the waters are too low for the boat the sail then the boat cannot sail.

Apparently one couple left the boat today to fly home. Why ruin your New Year by acting in haste?

Crystal is doing its best to make this cruise work given the circumstances.

We have had an extra day in Linz but with additional full and half day excursions thrown in. We are have a half day in Krems on Thursday as a substitute for a half day somewhere else. The wine tasting excursion has got many guests quiet happy again.

The cruise is not being cut short. We are being driven to Budapest from Vienna. We are still doing an overnight in Budapest but at the Ritz Carlton instead of on board the ship. It is a top hotel in Budapest charging €450 a night and is likely to have more space than on board the boat.

Got the information today and it looks like we will have the same excursions on offer. Only difference is that we can only do two excursions instead of three since there now only two half days rather than a day and a half.

We will still be seeing in the New Year in while sailing on the river. We will still spend the day in Bratislava.

Most of the sailing was going to be at night anyway so it is mot like you are going to miss many views and sights

We have had an excellent time for the past full week which has been as scheduled. I heard a couple today commenting on the cold, wind and rain. It is winter in Eastern Europe; what do you expect ?!

Not much need compensation for as far as I can work out..

Edited by JohnKen3

Compensation includes a 30% credit to a future cruise to be taken before Dec 2018.

In tenr

You were the one that used the term "compensation". All I did was query the definition. I'm glad your happy with your cruise and new itinerary but I would still think that you were offered a new future marketing deal that has a time limitation. not compensation.

OK so I did. Having said that, have a read of what needs compensating.

I am a Crystal regular so the cruise credit is useful. The problem with Cruise Critic is that they insist on sending this post to this forum where comments are read not by Crystal regulars.

I have never sought to post on the river fourm but any hint of the river gets sent here.

Edited by JohnKen3

When Crystal Mozart debuted, I wondered how she would sail in extreme water conditions. Of course she has a sailing history, but we don't get posts about German cruise lines here. This seems to imply that she may have a deep draft compared to other river ships, but this late in the season there are few other passenger ships sailing for comparison. We will learn more as next year unfolds.

I took a look at Marine Traffic which lists the draught of ships and all kinds of sailing information. It seems that an Avalon ship made it from Fredenau/Vienna to Bratislava and Scenic Amber made it from Fredenau/Vienna all the way to Budapest in the last day. Scenic Amber and Crystal Mozart have the same draught: 1.7 meters. Maybe Mozart's inability to sail has to do with its width. I've read that its wider that some ships which is why it can only sail from Passau to the Black Sea. If water is lower, the navigable channel will be narrower.

Hi, Ken,

I like your positive attitude and concur with your satisfaction with the way Crystal is handling the situation. Crystal is putting everyone up in a fine hotel in Budapest, where you will have more space as you mentioned. You most likely will also have better wifi than what is available on the boat. The 30% future cruise credit is a nice bonus.

When we sail on the Mozart in 2017, I am comfortable that if there are any itinerary adjustments needed due to the river conditions or mechanical issues, Crystal will handle the situation fairly.

Our first river cruise in Europe was with Tauck, and it is another fine company that performs well in trying to assure customer satisfaction in anomolous situations. By monitoring the river cruise forum at a time when all the river cruise lines were impacted by high water levels, I found that the Tauck guests were more satisfied with itinerary adjustments and compensation than were the guests on many of the other cruise lines. Since I am a long term Crystal customer, it is encouraging to see how well they also have stepped up to ensure customer satisfaction - as I expected they would.

In the future I will be pleased to sail with either Crystal or Tauck and know that they will take good care of us regardless of the circumstances.

Thanks for sharing the details of how Crystal has stepped up to handle the unfortunate situation. I look forward to sailing with Crystal on both the Mozart and one of their ocean vessels in 2017.

Enjoy your time on the lovely Mozart!

Rhonda

Our first river cruise in Europe was with Tauck, and it is another fine company that performs well in trying to assure customer satisfaction in anomolous situations. By monitoring the river cruise forum at a time when all the river cruise lines were impacted by high water levels, I found that the Tauck guests were more satisfied with itinerary adjustments and compensation than were the guests on many of the other cruise lines. Since I am a long term Crystal customer, it is encouraging to see how well they also have stepped up to ensure customer satisfaction - as I expected they would.

In the future I will be pleased to sail with either Crystal or Tauck and know that they will take good care of us regardless of the circumstances.

Rhonda

This is exactly why I cancelled our Danube cruise with Crystal and made the decision to go with Tauck this Spring. Let Crystal work out the kinks and Tauck has been doing this well for some time now based on their wonderful reputation.

Also, included is Four Seasons for 2 nights in Budapest. :)

Yesterday replacement stop in Krems gave us an opportunity to visit the Loisium Wine and Spa resort! Must give this place a proper try sometime. We were taken on an hour long tour of the grounds and cellar. This is one of the top experiences of the various excursions so far. This is where a respectable theme park meets wine making. Even the non-drinkers will have an interesting time here.

I would not get too excited by the wines we sampled after bit it make for the complete experience. We got a bottle of wine made by the guide's parents from a neighbouring vineyard.

Sat 30 Dec

Breakfast buffet started at 6:30am

Bags out at 7am this morning and the four Crystal coaches headed off to Budapest at 8am. The coaches have be loaded with loads of druit boxes for the trip. About 35 guests stayed on in Vienna so the Mozart will be fully manned and operational. They have their own programme for today and tomorrow.

We hit the Austrian-Hugarian border at 9:10. Quick stop for the driver pay to use the Hugarian highway! No immigration formalities.

Everyone was asked to point out their bags before getting on the coaches.

Plan is that we get checked into the hotel at 11am and taken to lunch at noon, subject to traffic. Excursions start at 1:30 pm (choice of four all of which were on the original excursion plan).

The only downside is no evening activities planned. Our Michelin restaurant dinner was cancelled due to the change of day and reacheduled for Vienna.

Nothing at the opera house or concert hall that we wish to see. We have been asked to keep receipts for lunch and dinner and will be reimbursed up to €100. To be honest, we are both grateful for the opportunity to de-tox from good food and too much alcohol for a night. This will give us a chance to explore the bars on our own.

Edited by JohnKen3

It is great that under adverse circumstances, Crystal gave the guests a choice of either (1) continuing to Budapest by bus with a night at a high end hotel or (2) remaining on the Mozart and enjoying more time in Vienna. I am impressed with the manner in which Crystal is handling the anomaly.

Despite the 3.5 hour coach ride, we enjoyed our visit to Budapest and are already making plans to come back.

Everything as been well handled in an efficient manner.

Two coaches left from two centre ans two coaches left from the hotel today. All the Crystal crew were checking the people count on the four coaches to make sure all 100 people were accounted for before the busses left Budapest

Rhonda, if you ar in Budapest twice on your back to back, look out for what is showing at the Hungarian state opera house. It is not just opera but musicals as well . Billy Elliot has been on since Sep; OK in Hungarian with English surtitles. Also keep an eye out for the concert hall.

You can always male your own adance reservation at the Michelin restaurants in Budapest if you choose the compliementary ones in Vienna. Resturants in Budapest are really quiet reasonably priced.

Edited by JohnKen3

We did see the river levels in Budapest and it was obvous that the Danube here was about 6 to 8 feet below their regular water mark.

The Mozart is the largest/heaviest boat in Europe so the downside is being more susceptible the low water levels. The upside is space. We have never felt the boat was busy or crowded despite the fact that all the rooms are occupied.

Rhonda, if you ar in Budapest twice on your back to back, look out for what is showing at the Hungarian state opera house. It is not just opera but musicals as well . Billy Elliot has been on since Sep; OK in Hungarian with English surtitles. Also keep an eye out for the concert hall.

You can always male your own adance reservation at the Michelin restaurants in Budapest if you choose the compliementary ones in Vienna. Resturants in Budapest are really quiet reasonably priced.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, Ken.

I'm glad John and you enjoyed Budapest even with the long bus ride.

Crystal has done a fine job of dealing with the itinerary adjustments needed due to the low water level.

Your blog is getting me excited about our 2017 trip!

Happy New Year to John and you!

Rhonda