Aurora balcony or deluxe balcony for xmas markets cruise December 6th 2017

barriead

Hi guys, I am considering doing the xmas markets 10 day cruise in December on Aurora...can anyone offer their opinions on differences between the Balcony cabins and deluxe Balcony cabins and whether its really worth paying a bit extra for deluxe...if the deluxe had 2 tvs it would be a no brainer for me and my poor old eyes but as far as I can find out theres only one (P&Os normal tiny 2nd rateTV),...but is there any significant difference other than that to tempt me.:)

For this cruise, In my opinion no significant benefits.

We usually book a balcony or deluxe but having done the Christmas markets cruise several times, (again on the one you mention), we now go for an inside cabin in a location we like for these particular cruises. The reason being it is very, very, very cold and so you will only be on the balcony for short periods of time unless you are a penguin or polar bear. Add to that the fact that it is dark for longer than it is daylight and the benefit of a view from the window is gone as well.

Also the Christmas markets are amazing in every port and there is so much festive fun on the ship that you will rarely be in the cabin if you like to join in. In our experience these are always great cruises.

Just my view. Ps pack the thermals.

For this cruise, In my opinion no significant benefits.

We usually book a balcony or deluxe but having done the Christmas markets cruise several times, (again on the one you mention), we now go for an inside cabin in a location we like for these particular cruises. The reason being it is very, very, very cold and so you will only be on the balcony for short periods of time unless you are a penguin or polar bear. Add to that the fact that it is dark for longer than it is daylight and the benefit of a view from the window is gone as well.

Also the Christmas markets are amazing in every port and there is so much festive fun on the ship that you will rarely be in the cabin if you like to join in. In our experience these are always great cruises.

Just my view. Ps pack the thermals.

Thanks for reply eglesbrech, We have just booked normal balcony cabin No C267, thank you for the positives...we are really looking forward to visiting xmas markets etc...did the Northern lights cruise last year on Oriana so will pack similarly. I am wondering if Aurora will have their xmas Decs up...I do hope so. We are not party animals..far from it..but do like a bit of music and dance and evening entertainment and just a couple of beers/wine..just hope the weather holds so we do not miss any ports.:):)

The ships get a professional decorator on to do the decorations and they are lovely, sometimes they are up when you arrive and other times it's a few days later. Over the week they normally build something as well eg a gingerbread village or snow scene.

Every Christmas cruise we have been on there has been port entertainment as well, usually in Copenhagen however this year we are in on a Sunday so it may not happen.:( Won't spoil it by telling you what.

They change what they do from year to year and it has been about 3 years since we did this but some entertainments have included Carol singing in the pub, a carol concert led by the Captain, a pantomime etc. They also have festive things like buttered rum or mulled wine on offer, cake decorating classes, cracker making etc

It's fun and add to that the lovely atmosphere in the ports and you should enjoy it.

We were on the Christmas Markets cruise on Aurora last December and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a balcony and it was lovely to be able to go out there and see what was going on. Yes we had fantastic shore side entertainment in Copenhagen, almost like a scene from White Christmas - except it wasn't snowing unfortunately. In fact we didn't see any snow apart from on tops of mountains when we were in Norway. The ship was decorated for Christmas and looked fantastic. The company who do the decorating boarded with us in Southampton and by the second day of our cruise all was finished. Have a great time.

We were on the Christmas Markets cruise on Aurora last December and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a balcony and it was lovely to be able to go out there and see what was going on. Yes we had fantastic shore side entertainment in Copenhagen, almost like a scene from White Christmas - except it wasn't snowing unfortunately. In fact we didn't see any snow apart from on tops of mountains when we were in Norway. The ship was decorated for Christmas and looked fantastic. The company who do the decorating boarded with us in Southampton and by the second day of our cruise all was finished. Have a great time.

Hi....was it a similar date in December last year for the Xmas markets cruise.....wasn't too sure if sailing on the 6th would be too early for the ship's decorations.

"Hi....was it a similar date in December last year for the Xmas markets cruise.....wasn't too sure if sailing on the 6th would be too early for the ship's decorations."

That thought did cross my mind as well...hope they do go up...not sure about the snow though, saw enough of that in Norway last year.:):)

Hi, We are going on this cruise as well - December 6th. Is there anything you would recommend to do in the ports. Sorry to hijack your post! Not having much to do with PO UK- do they have specials at specific times of the year?

Thanks annieuk...just what I wanted to hear.

Annb20, have you looked at your cruise personaliser as there are a lot of good ideas there for the various port shore excursions...but at a price point many people feel is a bit steep....never really stopped me booking though.

Hi, yes we sometimes do shore excursions but also love the freedom of doing things ourselves. I will have a close look at what they are offering. PO UK are treating us as first time cruisers. None of our past cruises are counted so no perks on this one.

With the caveat that the ship may sometimes dock further most of these ports are doable on your own with a map from the ship, here are a few DIY suggestions.

Hamburg - the main town hall, square and Christmas markets is about a 20 minute walk from the port (or shuttle available). You can also pick a tour on a river boat tour from this area. There are lovely shops, cafes and of course the markets.

Oslo - Again you usually dock 1 of 2 ports both of which are close to the centre of town. If you are lucky and get the closer one then you are right in in the centre and only a 5 minute walk to the Christmas market (not big but interesting)' the noble Peace centre which has interesting exhibitions, shops, HOHO bus stop etc. The HOHO bus takes you round to the Viking museum and the sculpture park etc but if you have not been before there is more than enough to see in the city centre.

Copenhagen- about a 20 to 30 minute walk to the town centre via the little mermaid, Gyfen fountain, embassy's, Royal Palace (parade and changing of guard around 12 noon) , Harbour and then the shops! Most things here you can do on your own. Once you hit the main shopping street it goes on in a straight route right up to the other main square where you will find the Tivoli Gardens (beautiful little pleasure gardens with some rides). To get to Tivoli walking is 45 minutes to an hour depending on your pace. The shops on the Main shopping Street are amazing, big department store, Georg Jensen, Royal Copenhagen, design centre - all well with a visit. Also next to the ship is a fortress and some tourist shops.

Amsterdam- if you are in the main city port then again you can walk in. Pick one thing you really want to do and get there early as the ques build up even in December.

The stops for the canal tour is on the way up to the town and it is the same cruise of the city canals that the ship offers but for a lot less cost however you have to get there early as it books up really quickly. This is a good basic orientation.

The Anne Frank house is walkable.

The museum/ gallery district is further out so you would need a tram or taxi, trams are next to the main station which you can't miss from the port. The Van Gough gallery is extrordinary and if you go on your own you can enjoy the paintings as long as you want to.

If you are feeling less cultured then the brewery is an easy walk as well! Become a beer bottle for a day.

Also nice shops to browse and buy.

Brugge we usually take a tour or "Brugge it yourself" bus from P&O. You can get a shuttle to Blankenburg ( which is an nice little place to wander) or then the train to Brugge but when it is cold and gets dark early personally this is one time where I prefer the security of getting back to the ship on an official tour as we have had snow and travel disruptions in December.

Hope that helps.

We took the shuttle bus into the centre of Hamburg. I would say it's quite a long walk if you want to do it on foot. We were unlucky in that there was a G8 meeting there and so some of the roads were closed and there were lots of police etc. around. So the shuttle bus wasn't able to drop us where it normally would. Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

When you booked your cruise you would have been informed which fare you were booking. If you could choose your cabin number.... dining time.....port parking or coach transfer or OBC. I would think that you booked under the select fare. If you booked the early saver fare you would not have had those options The select fare includes shuttle buses at the port but I am not entirely sure if that means All shuttles at All ports....if shuttles are needed

The shuttle could be the best option to the centre of Hamburg especially at that time of the year. The walk into town is not particularly pleasant. An interesting place to visit in Hamburg for those interested in such things is 'Miniature Wunderland' see :http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com. It advertises itself as a miniature model railway, but it is so much more and is so well done. My favourite was the miniature airport with the planes taking off and landing and the arrivals/departures board changing - OH liked the Football stadium and the tunnels.

Edited by Scriv

Even if it is not included in your fare the ships shuttle bus service is not expensive in fact usually great value compared to a taxi. (There can however be lengthy queues for them depending on the port and the time you choose to go at).