NFL football on Freedom of the Seas

We are going to be on the ship in November. We are wanting to catch our local team on Sunday night football. Is there anywhere on the ship to watch the games? Do they show it in any of the bars on the ship?

On my Freedom cruise in October 2013 I got to see my home team Carolina Panthers on the nationally televised Sunday night game on the big screen on the pool deck. They showed the Sunday night game and the Monday night game out there. :cool:

We are going to be on the ship in November. We are wanting to catch our local team on Sunday night football. Is there anywhere on the ship to watch the games? Do they show it in any of the bars on the ship?

I guess it might depend who your local team is or who they are playing

Try the On Air club, deck 3, aft.

Hopefully they will play the Saints on tv, sorry to the person who likes the Panthers but the Saints are the better team.

Who dat!!!!!!! Oh good I better go check the schedule to see what day they are playing!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have always seen the national games being played on board, up until last thanksgiving. The sunday games were NOT played on the first weekend, they got a lot of negative feedback and scrambled to show the slate on Thanksgiving day. They ended up showing about half the Thanksgiving games.

This was on Independence which had just returned from UK/Europe IIRC so not sure if they were just trying to avoid paying for the TV rights or forgot or what but there were some very vocal passengers :)

Hopefully they will play the Saints on tv, sorry to the person who likes the Panthers but the Saints are the better team.

I agree with you. Who Dat?? I sailed on NCL last year out of New Orleans. There was a Saints game playing, but it wasn't being telecast on the ship. Lots of upset cruisers walking around in black and gold jerseys!

Deb

As I understand it, the ship will show one 1 PM game, one 4:15 PM, and all Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night NFL games. You may not get the game you want on Sunday, but you'll at least get to see an NFL game.

On the other hand, they will only show ONE college game on Saturday, and it's usually a prime time game. You might get lucky and get the ESPN Thursday night game. If you want to see a college game during the day on Saturday, you'll be out of luck. You're stuck watching the ESPN crawler for updates while getting treated to some European soccer game. :(

I was on Freedom on the 10/19 sailing last year and wondered the same thing. I was able to see my beloved Giants play the Cowboys on the huge pool screen lounging with a cocktail in hand. I know it was also on in the On Air lounge on Deck 3. I believe it is usually the nationally televised game that they air on the ship. My luck, the game was on at 4 and against a Browns game, I think. Got lucky... No offense, Browns fans ;)

Whenever I have cruised during the football season we have been able to watch the nationally televised games. They were on in different locations but our favorite spot on the Freedom was the on air club on deck 3. We hit the windjammer and promenade for snacks and brought em all in for the game. they even had a waiter come in to keep the drinks flowing! I think watching the night games from the pool deck would be awesome tho!

Go PATS! #deflatethis

patriots_group_4_sb_wins.jpg?itok=_NuNOPIE

Edited by ham_bone

Whenever I have cruised during the football season we have been able to watch the nationally televised games. They were on in different locations but our favorite spot on the Freedom was the on air club on deck 3. We hit the windjammer and promenade for snacks and brought em all in for the game. they even had a waiter come in to keep the drinks flowing! I think watching the night games from the pool deck would be awesome tho!

Go PATS! #deflatethis

patriots_group_4_sb_wins.jpg?itok=_NuNOPIE

Are those stars on the rings or asterisks? :p

For OnAir on Oasis class, they are usually doing karaoke before the game so you get a bunch of moaning when they stop the karaoke and switch on the football.

Unless it's soccer don't count on seeing anything ... they tend to have big prime time games but even then who knows. They don't get a regular cbs or US ESPN feed so any college football or NFL is few and far between.

That has certainly not been our experience and we frequently cruise on RCI during the NFL season. Generally, they will show the national games on Fox and/or CBS on Sunday afternoons, the NBC Sunday Night game and the ESPN Monday night game. Games on Thursday or Saturday may or may not be shown. The Cruise Compass frequently indicates which games will be available and the times they will be on TV. If the game is shown on the TVs in the ship's lounges, you can almost always view them on your stateroom TV as well.

However, if you are interested in a particular team and its games, be sure to set your home DVR to record it.

That has certainly not been our experience and we frequently cruise on RCI during the NFL season. Generally, they will show the national games on Fox and/or CBS on Sunday afternoons, the NBC Sunday Night game and the ESPN Monday night game. Games on Thursday or Saturday may or may not be shown. The Cruise Compass frequently indicates which games will be available and the times they will be on TV. If the game is shown on the TVs in the ship's lounges, you can almost always view them on your stateroom TV as well.

However, if you are interested in a particular team and its games, be sure to set your home DVR to record it.

That has been my experience also which is why I got to see my hometown Panthers on the big screen because it was nationally televised.

To that Saint fan.......We won the division two years in a row about to when a third........Who Dat aint got nothing...they will be lucky to finish this year ahead of Tampa Bay! :D

Edited by bigque

I wouldn't assume because a Sunday afternoon game is the "national" game that it will be shown on the ship. Last October on Allure I assumed that the "national" game (Seattle-Carolina) would be shown on the ship, so I went to the Flowrider for the afternoon on Sunday. Later I found out my Ravens against Cincinnati was the game carried on the ship. If I would have known, I would have had to make the tough choice of Flowrider with no line on boarding day or watching the Ravens.

I have also been on board where the afternoon game was a real head-scratcher where they would show a game only carried in the markets of the teams (I won't mention teams) rather than a Brady vs. Manning or two good NFC East teams type national game.

The only near-certainty you will get for watching your team on the boat is if they are on Sunday night or Monday night.