P&O or celebrity

mrtidy

We did a short cruise on Eclipse last year and would agree with you. Whilst it is a beautiful ship with very spacious cabins and fantastic public areas, the basics were not as appealing. The cabin staff gave me the impression they would rather not be there. The food in the MDR and buffet looked amazing but the quality was poor, plastic ham, chewy meat, rotten broccoli.

My daughter was not keen on the kids club either, but perhaps that is because she is so used to the P&O clubs.

Overall, very glitzy but " All fur coat and no knickers " as my late gran would say ;)

Our experience on the Celebrity Silhouette in 2013 and 2014 was completely the opposite, staff were the best that we have ever experienced, food was very good and the ship felt classy, however, the same can't be said for our latest cruise on Britannia in November 2015. Ship was over hyped, too many people for the amenities/sunbeds/entertainment venues etc, too many drunks and feral families

that ended up with people being kicked off the ship on a couple of occasions. We like the better mix of Nationalities that you get with Celebrity as it seems to give a better atmosphere, yes it is geared towards the Americans but they expect good service and thats what you get with Celebrity.

I think what the above posts tell you is that we all have different experiences on different cruise lines and on different ships. The only way to find out whether you like Celebrity or not is to give it a try! It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Don't focus too much on reviews - whilst they can be informative they are also subjective and what one likes another will hate. Look at the range of reviews you can get for the exact same cruise on the exact same ship!

I think if you liked Britannia then there is a chance you will like Eclipse as they are both quite large modern ships. There are lots of similarities but also some differences and because you use forums such as this you will be well aware of what those differences are before you book. That in itself is a good start - no nasty surprises! The only way to really find out is to book it and see for yourself.

If you are happy with the price, itinerary, included extras, dates etc. then those are the main boxes ticked.

Book in haste, repent at leisure! How I regret booking Britannia, I wish I had been more thorough in my research. The review by Honest Cruising on Youtube paints a very concerning picture - wish I had seen it before I paid the non-refundable deposit.

I think what the above posts tell you is that we all have different experiences on different cruise lines and on different ships. The only way to find out whether you like Celebrity or not is to give it a try! It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

Don't focus too much on reviews - whilst they can be informative they are also subjective and what one likes another will hate. Look at the range of reviews you can get for the exact same cruise on the exact same ship!

I think if you liked Britannia then there is a chance you will like Eclipse as they are both quite large modern ships. There are lots of similarities but also some differences and because you use forums such as this you will be well aware of what those differences are before you book. That in itself is a good start - no nasty surprises! The only way to really find out is to book it and see for yourself.

If you are happy with the price, itinerary, included extras, dates etc. then those are the main boxes ticked.

What a nice balanced opinion.

Kevin,

I agree that generally looking at ratings is a good guide. However, in the case of Britannia a lot of people rated it lower because of a perceived problem with the lifts.

In my opinion this is not a major problem unless you are disabled or idle, as it can easily be overcome by walking about 50 yards.

(By the way, if you are a York City fan, commiserations)

David

Hi David, unfortunately it wasn't a perceived problem with the lifts for us, it was a daily, actual problem. We had two wheelchair Mums and trying to get them in a lift was so stressful. And yet on Celebrity it was never an issue. If people rated Britannia lower because of the lifts then that was justified. The lift numbers, capacity, programming and size on Britannia are awful.

I would also agree with Kevin, as regards hotel staff friendliness we always comment about how they always smile and say hello. I also think the way Celebrity have your table waiter give a little welcome speech each night with his/her highlights from the menu sets the tone for a friendly dialogue.

The downsides with Celebrity as compared to P&O, are the higher cost of drinks and shore excursions, and the more limited number of evening show venues, the theatre shows are on a par with P&O but the only other show lounge, the Sky lounge, is much under used.

I agree with most others that the Solstice class ships are the classiest ones afloat in the mass market sector.

I agree with your comments. Drink costs are higher but we've always cruised with Celebrity with a drinks package making the total cost far less than P&O. I also agree that outside the main theatre the entertainment isn't as full on but we enjoy meeting new fellow passengers and don't wait to be entertained and just enjoy chatting or listening to the band/vocalists. Shore excursions on our Celebrity cruise in May are priced well down on previous trips so maybe Celebrity are listening. I definitely agree with you that the Solstace Class ships are amazing.

I agree with your comments. Drink costs are higher but we've always cruised with Celebrity with a drinks package making the total cost far less than P&O. I also agree that outside the main theatre the entertainment isn't as full on but we enjoy meeting new fellow passengers and don't wait to be entertained and just enjoy chatting or listening to the band/vocalists. Shore excursions on our Celebrity cruise in May are priced well down on previous trips so maybe Celebrity are listening. I definitely agree with you that the Solstace Class ships are amazing.

I am sure I would enjoy Eclipse, if I had the drinks package but I am afraid that my wife would not. The lack of other entertainment venues would be a big turn off for her as John knows.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have done Celebrity PO Royal Caribbean and found the most professionally trained staff on Celebrity.There standards seem to be kept to a high standard evev on the bigger ships whereas PO standards seem to be affected badly by cutbacks by Carnival.Restaurant food is nowhere like it used to be,cheaper cuts of meat etc.As long as you have the drinks package I would suggest you go Celebrity.

We have done Celebrity PO Royal Caribbean and found the most professionally trained staff on Celebrity.There standards seem to be kept to a high standard evev on the bigger ships whereas PO standards seem to be affected badly by cutbacks by Carnival.Restaurant food is nowhere like it used to be,cheaper cuts of meat etc.As long as you have the drinks package I would suggest you go Celebrity.

What if like us you are tee total ?

As you are tee total the drinks package won't interest you but one big difference is PO have a kettle in every cabin more making your own cabin.I don't think Celebrity give you any more on board credit in lieu but I still think you will enjoy Celebrity's standards which are very high

Well we have gone for P&O Britannia med cruise B721 .The itinerary suits us and the weather should be hot and sunny in July. I do like sitting by the pool with a cocktail. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Well we have gone for P&O Britannia med cruise B721 .The itinerary suits us and the weather should be hot and sunny in July. I do like sitting by the pool with a cocktail. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Am sure you will enjoy it. We have sailed Britannia and Celebrity Silhouette and loved both for different reasons. :)