What is a realistic disembark time for a port?

From Jewel of the Seas- if we are up and organized etc, what is a realistic time from the 8 am listed time, that we would actually be getting into a cab (for instance). Is the order of disembarkment determined by the ship or by a first come, first served? (not talking final disembark)

It matters if you dock or tender. Tendering has its own set of procedures and higher status passengers get preference. They sometimes require you to go to a desk to get a number for tendering. If you are on a ship's excursion, they have instructions given to you ahead of time.

If you are getting off at a dock, just go when you want to get off after they announce that they are cleared. They always tell you to NOT congregate at the gangway, but people do anyway. So much depends on how much time you have at port and the time of day you are arriving. Also, if you have a full day of plans, you would want to get off as soon as possible.

Another consideration is how physically fit you are. If you arrive at the "wrong time" and find crowds, you likely will do a lot of standing and people with orthopedic issues aren't usually given any special privileges, except for wheelchair folks.

There are so many nuances to consider and one answer is not always applicable. I would recommend you go to the port of call area on cruise critic and ask about that specific port. Also, have you joined your roll call? Some sailings are very active and others not so much, but maybe someone there could give you specifics.

BTW- what port and what ship are you talking about?

Thank you.... The ports I have "bigger" plans, with tighter time constraints on: St. Croix and St. Lucia. How do you know if a specific port is a dock or a tender?

I did try to search this answer out prior to asking it, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I can re-read some reviews of these journeys as well

We are "low man" on the seniority RCCL totem pole, as first time cruisers so that won't help us. I just wondered if 8 am meant 8? or 8:15? or 8:45 walking off the boat. 8:45 would be cutting some of my choices a bit tight and I may need to rethink. In St. Croix, we are renting a car and with an 8 am docking, need to rent the car and be in Christiansted by 9 or so. Thank you.

On Princess, the itinerary indicates tender ports. If RCI does not, you can ask on the RCI section or even the Roll Call for your cruise.

RCI indicates this as well on the itinerary.

also, Suites, Pinnacle and those on ship sponsored excursions get priority on tenders.,

You will have plenty of time to be off and at your meeting place...no worries! Even at "tender" ports, you are likely to be on the 2nd tender, if you can't fit on the 1st. (Tenders hold a LOT of people!!)

Folks get all bent out of shape about this, when in reality, it's a non-issue.

You will have plenty of time to be off and at your meeting place...no worries! Even at "tender" ports, you are likely to be on the 2nd tender, if you can't fit on the 1st. (Tenders hold a LOT of people!!)

Folks get all bent out of shape about this, when in reality, it's a non-issue.

Except in San Francisco( not a tender port) and you have to wait 45 minutes to dock because SOMEONE( I am talking to you Princes cruise lines) was late leaving.

we had the luck of facing pierside. people were forcing their way down the gangplank long before the ship had been cleared to do so and the CD had to run down and placate the Authorities and get the ones on ship excursions to their meeting spot.

luckily we not only had been to SF before and had no real plans it was an overnight stop so we waited until the panic ended before strolling down.